Thread: Mercker likely to retire after blowing out his elbow

MLB ERA

Mercker likely to retire after blowing out his elbow

PHILADELPHIA -- Apologies for my late arrival, I've been out most of the day.

First, the bad news. It sounds as if Kent Mercker's 20-year professional career probably came to an end last night. He apparently believes he blew out his elbow, and if that's the case I imagine he's done for good.

Pending a more thorough examination, Mercker was placed on the 15-day DL and veteran left-hander Chris Michalak called up to bolster a completely worn-out bullpen. Michalak, 35, hasn't pitched in the majors since 2002, but he has been very effective as a starter for Louisville this year, going 9-5 with a 2.99 ERA. If EZ gets in trouble early today, he'll probably get the call.

- Marc Lancaster

Sad to hear that. He has always been good for us and most other places he's been and seems like a very hard worker and good clubhouse guy. He should be proud of his career if this is in fact the end.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Mercker has often been underrated most places he went and it's a shame this has happened given the fact that he has always enjoyed Cincy and if his arm was still attached, would normally be of great use to this pen. He always seemed to be one of the good guys and someone who would even make the other bullpen guys seem a bit less goofy.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Didn't this guy have an aneurism or a stroke about 10 years ago or something? I thought I heard somewhere that he did.
    rf28

Not Mercker!
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    per Marc's Blog:

The fact that Kent Mercker was able to throw another pitch in the 10th inning Friday after feeling a burning sensation in his elbow on a wild pitch to Ryan Howard was fairly remarkable. An MRI and further examination by Doc Kremchek today revealed that Mercker had completely torn his ulnar collateral ligament and suffered an 80-percent tear in his flexor tendon. Mercker will undergo reconstructive surgery Thursday, but that's more for golf purposes than baseball. His career is done.

Also today, Brandon Claussen had arthroscopic surgery to clean out his left shoulder and repair a small tear in his rotator cuff. The procedure took 75 minutes.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Good night, Mercker shredded his elbow.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    I really wish Kent all the best and I hope he enjoys a nice retirement. He should be proud of his MLB career.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Agreed, Kent had a real nice career and seemed to be a real genuine clubhouse presence. I wish him the best as well in future endeavors!

Thanks for doing so well for us this last few years Kent!

AAA ERA
    it just goes to show you how unnatural pitching a baseball is..

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Are there many pitchers in baseball that have gone their whole career without having to have some kind of arm or shoulder surgery? I guess its just one of those things that comes with the job.