Thread: in other news, freel is skitzo

MLB ERA

in other news, freel is skitzo

Notes: Reds add Hollandsworth
    Indians to receive a player to be named or cash from Cincinnati
    By Mark Sheldon / MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky has been on quite a streak of roster tweaks.

The latest addition came on Wednesday, when Cincinnati acquired outfielder Todd Hollandsworth from the Indians for a player to be named later or cash considerations.

Hollandsworth will be utilized mostly as a left-handed pinch-hitter off the Reds bench.

"Not only is he a veteran hitter that knows the National League, he's used to pinch-hitting and can play all three outfield spots," Krivsky said. "He's a very versatile guy. He's been around and was what we were looking for."

Hollandsworth batted .237 with six home runs and 27 RBIs in 56 games with Cleveland this season, including two long balls against the Reds during Interleague Play.

The 33-year-old is a career .273 hitter over 12 big league seasons, and also had stops with the Dodgers, Rockies, Rangers, Marlins, Cubs and Braves. Hollandsworth's seven career pinch-hit homers is tied for eighth among active players.

"All for it," Reds manager Jerry Narron said when asked for his thoughts on the deal. "In the game we played the other night, we didn't even have a left-hander on the bench."

Switch-hitting catcher Javier Valentin was the only reserve that can bat from the left side. He started Monday's game against St. Louis.

The Reds actually claimed Hollandsworth off waivers from Cleveland on Tuesday night before the deal was worked out on Wednesday. It was not finalized until the afternoon, which left him unavailable to play for the Reds against the Cardinals. The veteran is making $900,000 this season.

Hollandsworth, who has a wife and two small children, needed time to get his personal affairs in order.

"He'd rather get here in the morning, and I gave him the day to be with his family and help his wife get packed and get here [Thursday] morning," Krivsky said. "I was certainly sympathetic to what he had going at home."

To make room on the 40-man roster for Hollandsworth, the Reds moved injured pitcher Brandon Claussen to the 60-day disabled list. A corresponding move for the 25-man roster will be announced Thursday after Hollandsworth arrives. It seemed likely that rookie outfielder Chris Denorfia would be sent to Triple-A Louisville to clear space.

Hollandsworth was Krivsky's second trade in three days and fourth since July 31. Because he's made so many deals and acquisitions (26) since becoming GM in February, the Reds' media guide has almost become dated material and the clubhouse has numerous new faces.

Only 15 players on the active roster remain from Opening Day.

"Wayne is doing everything he can to put a winning club out on the field," Narron said. "He got a late start. Basically, he came to Spring Training with a club that's been made from four GMs. That's kind of unusual."

Mind-bending catch: Not surprisingly, right fielder Ryan Freel's spectacular diving catch on the warning track Tuesday night vs. St. Louis remained a buzzworthy topic Wednesday. It was also prominently featured on television highlight shows.

Freel robbed Albert Pujols of a likely two-run extra-base hit in the fifth inning. Although the Reds won by a 10-3 score, it was a potentially game-saving play because Pujols represented the tying run at the time.

When he got home after Tuesday's game, Freel admitted to watching himself make the catch on TV. Apparently, he wasn't completely alone during the viewings.

"I thought it was pretty neat watching that play. That was a good catch, Ryan," Freel said. "The midget in my head is named Farney. 'Hey Farney, I don't know if that was you that caught the ball, but it was pretty good if it was you.'"

And for clarification, who is Farney again?

"He's the little guy in my head who I talk to, and I talk to him," Freel said. "Everyone thinks I talk to myself, so I tell them I'm talking to Farney."

Deal completed: To complete Monday's trade that brought reliever Ryan Franklin from the Phillies for a player to be named later, the Reds sent Class A Dayton right-handed pitcher Zac Stott to Philadelphia.

Stott was 0-2 with a 5.40 ERA and four saves in 14 relief outings at Dayton, and 1-2 with a 2.53 ERA and one save in 17 relief appearances at high Class A Sarasota.

Farm report: Top pitching prospect Homer Bailey allowed one infield single and an unearned run over 5 2/3 innings for Double-A Chattanooga on Tuesday night. However, Bailey also walked five and struck out five in the no-decision against Jacksonville.

In eight starts since his promotion to Chattanooga, Bailey is 4-0 with a 1.14 ERA. In 47 1/3 innings, the 20-year-old has walked 15 batters and struck out 48.

Coming up: Still seeking win No. 10, Bronson Arroyo (9-7, 3.47) will pitch Thursday's series finale for the Reds against the Cardinals' Anthony Reyes (3-5, 4.83). The game starts at 12:35 p.m. ET.
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA

Brewers

Not a Reds fan, but I do love the way Freel plays the game. He has made himself into a very good player that is willing to play any position and do what it takes to win... IMO, that is what it means to be a PRO!!! He only knows one way top play, and that is ALL OUT, TAKE NO PRISONERS!!!

I am glad that we are done with the Reds this year..... SHEW!!!

GO BREWERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C you there
    MLB ERA
    Freel rules

MLB ERA
    Anybody who is not afraid to admit that he talks to a midget inside his head gets an A in my book.
    Integrity can accommodate the inadvertent error and the honest difference of opinion; it cannot accommodate deceit or subordination of principle.

LeagueTeamRecordStandingDivision TitlesWild CardLDS WinsLCS WinsWS Wins
    MSLRangers27-111st2731772
    PSLJedi31-448th00000

Brewers/Steelers Fan!!!
    MLB ERA
    I didn't know that...that is hilarious.....Do I sound like that clown.. Jim Rome now... hahahahaha