Thread: Krivsky could file a grievance on Majewski

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Krivsky could file a grievance on Majewski

CINCINNATI -- Reds reliever Gary Majewski's lack of effectiveness had been a mystery since he was acquired last month.
    The club now knows the reason. Yet, the answer has created more questions.
    On Monday, Majewski was placed on the 15-day disabled list with what originally was termed right shoulder inflammation. An MRI taken on the right-hander showed he had a "tired shoulder."
    It wasn't known how long Majewski would be out, but the information was a sigh of relief for Cincinnati.
    "He needs rest," Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky said. "He needs some strengthening. There's nothing structurally wrong. He doesn't need surgery."
    Majewski, who owns a 12.53 ERA in his 11 games with the Reds, revealed Monday he's had trouble with his shoulder long before joining the team.
    "It's been bothering me for a while," said Majewski, who is 4-4 with a 4.87 ERA in 57 games this season. "After the World Baseball Classic, I tried to fire it up too quick."
    But that wasn't all.
    "I've been on anti-inflammatory [medication] most of the year," Majewski added. "Right before the break, I had a cortisone shot. I was feeling good the past couple of weeks, but the past week, when it started wearing off, it wasn't allowing me to be out in front. A lot of my pitches were right down the middle."
    The 26-year-old Majewski was part of an eight-player trade with the Nationals on July 13 that also brought reliever Bill Bray and shortstop Royce Clayton in exchange for Austin Kearns, Felipe Lopez and Ryan Wagner.
    What did the Reds know about Majewski's arm, and when did they know it? What did the Nationals know?
    Krivsky would not address the issue. It was known that team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek did not examine the pitcher before the deal was made.
    "I'm not going to talk about anything that was done before the trade [or] what was said, what wasn't said, what was exchanged," Krivsky said. "The bottom line is he has a tired shoulder."
    However, if it was learned that the Nationals were aware of an injury before they made the deal, the Reds could potentially cite "damaged goods" and file a grievance with the league.
    Majewski, who gave up four eighth-inning runs and lost a two-run lead in a 6-4 setback to the Braves on Sunday, did not tell anyone with the Reds about his situation until Monday. And that was on a suggestion from his fiancée as he drove her to the airport on Sunday night.
    "She told me to say something," Majewski said. "I said something first thing when I came in [Monday] morning. There are certain things you can pitch through and certain things you can't. I just thought 'tendinitis, pitch through it and hopefully it will go away.' The last week, after every game, it was getting worse and worse. When I pitched, my arm felt fine, but when I was done and cooled down, it would tighten up real fast."
    Majewski had been considered a durable and repeatable bullpen arm since he broke into the Major Leagues in 2004. His 65 innings pitched that season was tied for most among National League relievers. He worked 86 innings for the Nationals last season and 2 2/3 innings for Team USA in the World Baseball Classic in March.
    With Cincinnati, Majewski was charged with at least one run in seven of his 11 games. He retired the first batter he faced in only three of his 11 appearances, a telling statistic for a struggling reliever. "He had everything that shows that he's got fatigue," Kremchek said of the MRI. "He's a young kid. He's thrown a lot. He needs some time to get it better. So, we're going to get it better over the next few weeks."
    http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin

So the highlite of this is that it could be filed as damaged goods. And the rumor is that Majewski could be given back to the Nats for either Felo or Kearns back or for another pitcher. Now we have to see just how much of the rumor is true and exactly what Krivsky will do about it.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Bowden would prolly never ever want to do it, but give Jew back for Kearns. Espn mag "says" Kearns looks lifeless ever since being dealt to Washington.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    ESPN the magazine is also kind of dumb.

MLB ERA
    Wonder how this will turn out the next few days and weeks. It is odd how Majeski all of a sudden crashes and burns.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    ESPN the magazine is also kind of dumb.
    Hey, at least they never predicted Soriano to be a bust.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    People associated wth it picked Bobby Crosby as MVP.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'm surprised you wouldn't like that pick, him being a big white guy and all.
    Ted

MLB ERA
    if kearns came back..

WOW
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

As much as I like Kearns we need Felo back more.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yep. But the likely thing I would imagine is some marginal prospect being included that we all could all care less about.

Yeah, I can't see it. If they got compensation, I'd bet it's Ryan Wagner
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

AAA ERA
    yeah, i mean I would like FeLo back, because I hate Clayton, but even if we got FeLo back, Narron would be an idiot and not Play him

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    per Marc's blog:

Wayne Krivsky was clearly uncomfortable earlier this afternoon facing a throng of reporters to discuss the aftermath of Gary Majewski's injury.

The bottom line is he isn't sure yet what the MLB procedure is for grievances in this case, but it sounds like the Reds are checking into it. The Reds clearly feel like information was withheld here, but Krivsky bent over backwards not to take a direct shot at Jim Bowden and the Nationals.

He said he called Bowden this morning but had not heard back from him as of 5 p.m. or so.

Krivsky then was asked whether he would stop dealing with Bowden in the future and the floodgates opened. I'll run the whole quote and let it speak for itself.

"This doesn’t preclude doing future business," said Krivsky. "I don’t like eliminating talent pools. I don’t like eliminating teams. Hopefully, people feel like when they’re dealing with us they’re dealing straight-up. I want people to feel like they’re being dealt with honestly. For me, Wayne Krivsky talking, your credibility is paramount – not only with (the media) but with other teams and the fans and ownership. You lose your credibility, you’re done in this business. You better treat people right and treat them the way you want to be treated, or you’re not going to be as effective a general manager, farm director, scouting director, scout. To me, that’s a pretty big thing right there."

MLB ERA
    Apparently the Redleg Nation site posted this interesting bit from a John Fay article from earlier today which has since been edited. Very interesting:

[Kremcheck] said Majewski’s medical records did not arrive in Cincinnati until Aug. 1, the day after the trade deadline.

“And even then, they weren’t complete,” Kremchek said.

Here is the link to the discussion, including some Bowden quotes and other stuff:

http://www.redlegnation.com/
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.