Thread: Aurilia tired of shifting lineups?

MLB ERA

Aurilia tired of shifting lineups?

CINCINNATI -- Playing every day lately has been quite becoming for infielder Rich Aurilia's offensive production for the Reds.
    Aurilia entered Friday batting .339 (20-for-59) with three homers and seven RBIs since the All-Star break, while playing 17 of the last 19 games. His on-base-plus slugging percentage was a robust .985. In the first half, he batted .267 with an .807 OPS.

Most of the 34-year-old's plate appearances have come while playing regularly at third base and batting fourth. Because Edwin Encarnacion was a fixture at the spot, Aurilia saw a reduced amount of playing time in the first half. But his solid glove created increased playing time in place of the more error-prone Encarnacion.

"I'm a guy that's used to playing every day," Aurilia said. "Ask any hitter -- it's hard to get on a roll when you're not playing consistently. Earlier in the year, I was just playing against lefties. Then I started playing against some really tough righties. Then I started playing against everybody. When you play consistently, you have a chance to find your comfort zone. I think that has a lot to do with it."

Playing mostly one position might have benefited Aurilia as well. He had hits in 20 of 23 games since July 1, but was 0-for-3 as the Reds notched only two hits in Thursday's 3-0 loss to the Dodgers.

"Does it help knowing you're going to be in there at one spot? Yeah," Aurilia said. "Because anytime you play a lot and can come in and not have to look at the lineup and know where you'll be, mentally that takes a little off your mind. We don't have the luxury around here to do that. We have a lot of different lineups and a lot of different guys playing."
    Incidentally, Friday marked Reds manager Jerry Narron's 94th different lineup used in 109 games this season.

Still, Aurilia had gotten so used to being at third base lately that he was surprised when he found out Thursday he was the starting second baseman as Brandon Phillips was rested.

It was only Aurilia's second start at second base this season, his first since April 15.

"It's weird," Aurilia said. "Because the other day, I was thinking, 'I don't know if anybody remembers that I played shortstop for 10 years and 70 games at second base last year, because I hadn't played there in a while.' I showed up yesterday and I was at second."

On Friday, with left-hander Chuck James pitching for Atlanta, Aurilia started at first base for lefty hitter Scott Hatteberg. Lately, Narron has been seeking chances to boost the offense by having both Aurilia and Encarnacion in the lineup.

"It helps that I've been in pennant races before and played through times like this," Aurilia said. "To me, it shows more that I move around. They trust me to play anywhere and I have confidence to play anywhere."

-Mark Sheldon
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    here we go again
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    What's funny is he's talking about himself but is really describing Edwin's situation more appropriately.

Has he ever said anything that supported Edwin or what it must be like to a young player like him? I've never heard it if so.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    What's funny is he's talking about himself but is really describing Edwin's situation more appropriately.

Has he ever said anything that supported Edwin or what it must be like to a young player like him? I've never heard it if so.
    thats exactly what i was thinking. rich is what we like to call a think for yourself-er
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    Anyone who counts the number of times he says "I" or some form of "I" in the article wins a prize.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I don't really blame him not doing so. He still has some years left (even if they will be on the downslide) and isn't at the age where it's understood he would be a mentor to a young player (not that I would want him doing so.) Aurilia's an ass though, so that probably explains most of it. If the Reds are deadset on it, why not just play him at SS over Clayton? It might be the most popular choice in what to do to switch the lineup up, but he would get solid time in at a position as Ed E would too. It seems a lot more simpler than appeasing to Royce Clayton of all people. He's been given his chance and despite a couple of homers and the RARE defensive play, he's been awful. Aurilia is not the best canidate defensively either, but he's an upgrade at the plate.

MLB ERA
    Oh, I am not surprised he's complaining about the lineups, etc. and I even AGREE with him on that, but I think it's funny, as ghetto said, that everything is about HIS playing time. He seems to think he's The Chosen One.

23 times

Using "you" when clearly referring to himself, "your", "my", "I", "me", and so on counted. I didn't count "we". Anything refering to himself, whether by saying "I" or "when you are going to play 3B" or whatever, counts
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Prize awarded. Please check User CP for details.

Who cares... really? I really don't understand why people are calling Rich an ass.

If any of you guys were in his position would you come out and say.... "You know, I should really be on the bench and Edwin and Royce should be playing everyday," or something on those lines? Furthermore, are you guys saying what Rich said isn't legit? Give me a break. If Narron would send out the same lineup on a daily basis this team would be better off. Plus, on actually another note, Aurilia was asked the questions by the media. He didn't make a call, like Griffey has done several times.

I've said it once and I'll say it again, some peoples views on this site make no sense whatsoever. Some are still crying over Casey (Who DOES NOT care about winning or playing everyday). Thus, which is why the Reds didn't make him the capitan of the team when Barry retired. Despite that Rich is only making slightly over a million this year against Casey's 8.5M, Rich has put up better numbers this year and last, but people still bash Aurilia and cry over Casey. Can someone help me out?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I don't really blame him not doing so. He still has some years left (even if they will be on the downslide) and isn't at the age where it's understood he would be a mentor to a young player (not that I would want him doing so.) Aurilia's an ass though, so that probably explains most of it.
    Aurilia is an ass by the way he often talks, but I thought I was clear in my post that I at least understood where he was coming from. Hell, I even said the simple, and obvious solution to appease him and appease Ed E.

I see your point in a better light now. But in general, most here think Rich is an ass in every aspect.

Sorry guys, but I'm so frustrated because so many Reds fans love to hate older player that are helping us win. For example, if David Weathers would have given up that homer that Coffey gave up, Reds fans would be going crazy saying how much Weather sucks. But the fact is today, Coffey got brewed and cost Arroyo his 10th win and Weathers pitched well and got the win and gets no credit.

AAA ERA
    EdE at 3B
    Phillips at 2B
    Hatteberg at 1B
    and
    Aurillia at SS

if we were to have a lineup everyday that he is in, that would be my pick