Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Zach Ward traded for Kyle Lohse

No they didn't. They didn't give up Tabata or Hughes. That was an awesome deal for the Yankees as they got a very good outfielder for a bunch of B and C level prospects. All four are doing well for themselves, but Henry is the real prospect in the deal as one is 27 and the other two are imports that may or may not pan out.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    No they didn't. They didn't give up Tabata or Hughes. That was an awesome deal for the Yankees as they got a very good outfielder for a bunch of B and C level prospects. All four are doing well for themselves, but Henry is the real prospect in the deal as one is 27 and the other two are imports that may or may not pan out.
    Exactly, and personally outside of Henry I like to call the other players included in the deal as "prospects." It was a deal all about the cash.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Is Lohse supposed to be in the rotation? I guess the press conference will reveal that. I guess I am just hoping that he is in the bullpen and we are still looking for a starter.

Lohse is really not a good addition any way you look at it. But as a reliever, he has been steadily dropping his ERA of late. Serving up a 2.84 ERA in his last 10 appearances.

I was really high on Ward and I think we definitely are on the losing end with this deal. I hope some are correct about him just being good enough to dominate in Dayton but not high A Sarasota. There has to be some reason why Krivsky never promoted him.

I don't think this is one of Krivsky's better moves, but I still hope it pays off.

One more note on those prospects. Only Henry was on John Sickels pre-season Top 20 (Henry at #6) and Henry's hit .240, with a good walk rate and limited power, not amazing. The other three weren't to be seen.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

AAA ERA
    wow, just wow, I mean it seems like Wayne likes to make moves that just don't add up on paper in hope that they turn into great trades, i mean these are really nothing special, and in fact could hurt us, if we put Joe Mays II(Lohse) out there as the starter..

I mean he is dealing without really breaking chemstry here with these deals.. but they are not getting us what we want.. maybe it would be nice if we had a huge 5 for 1 deal getting rid of all our garbage to land a legit SP. but i doubt it.. I heard Oswalt is on his way to NYM.. that scares me, I mean I wish we had him, but we wouldn't be able to get him, mostly due to teams not wanting to send into same division, but we don't have the balls to go after someone real.. I mean I want Oswalt, we get Lohse.. thats just not right, this organization has made some moves in the right direction this year but still have a long way to go

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I hear you NFLman. It's kind of like wanting that big toy at Christmas, only to get a red rubber ball. Who knows, you could entertain yourself for hours with it, but whether that happens or not, it doesn't have the shine or wow factor that you might get with something a bit more grand.

The only positive in this is if Lohse has found his calling in the pen, as evident of his July splits, and we use him in that role. Seeing those actually pumped me up on this trade a bit, but I still fear him being placed as the 5th starter.

MLB ERA
    If Lohse succeeds at all in his inevitable fifth starter role, I will be shocked.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I would really hope that we don't try Lohse out as the 5th starter just enough to bring us out of contention and then realize he can only be effective as a reliever.

Make him a reliever, he has suceeded in that role. Keep him where he is effective!

MLB ERA
    Lohse is pretty much the only one on the roster right now who could be the fifth starter, and they'll need at least one start before Claussen can come back.

And like I said in onme of the other topics, I'm not even too big on the idea of Claussen coming back since he was so awful.

Bottom line is, Lohse will start a few times.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    Lohse is pretty much the only one on the roster right now who could be the fifth starter, and they'll need at least one start before Claussen can come back.

And like I said in onme of the other topics, I'm not even too big on the idea of Claussen coming back since he was so awful.

Well obviously if there is no other moves he will, thus the desperation of optimism a move will be done. We don't want to see "The Son of Joe Mays" this summer, the first film sucked bad enough as it is.

MLB ERA
    Lancaster reports that Lohse was told he'll be used as a reliever.

We still have a black hole in the fifth spot if that's true. We don't even know if Claussen will be ready to go on Saturday and Germano is now gone. I guess we will get to see what Mike Gosling has.

We also have nine pitchers in the bullpen as of right now.

Why can't we make deadline deals like the Cards make almost every year?

The franchise is a joke.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by McKain

Unless....

Krivsky finds a way to get another SP in before the deadline. Then he could be a good relief addition. I guess we will know in a few hours.

MLB ERA
    Tony Armas Jr. is available.

Jay Bruce would be pretty nice.

Unfortunately, the SP market is weak this year, and if the Reds want anyone, they're settling for someone very iffy (Livan Hernandez, Armas, Kip Wells), and they'll probably have to overpay a little to do it. They also seem reticent to deal their better prospects (reasonably so), and that would also put a snag in some things.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    per Marc's blog:

Just got off a conference call with Kyle Lohse. I asked if Wayne had indicated to him whether he would be moving into the rotation here or staying in the bullpen. His response:

"As of right now, I believe I’m going to stay in the role that I’m at. Ultimately, it’s up to him. I think they’ve got some good guys there, and we’ll play it by ear. I’m ready to do whatever it takes to help the team out."

And a little more from later in the call:

"I’m willing to do whatever it takes to help out the team. If that’s the role they see me in, that’s fine and we’ll go with it. Ultimately, I’m not going to make a big fuss about it, but I’d like to start again and that’s where I see myself fitting in. I’m not going to come over there and demand anything, of course – I’m going to try to fit in and help the team win. If they see the role in the bullpen as being the best fit, then that’s what I’m going to go do and do my best at it."
    Thanks for the report on this CRF! I can only see good news coming from this. If Lohse is told he is a reliever, then we don't have to suffer seeing him trying to start.

But the more intriguing part is that it gives me the feeling that another deal is in fact coming. Bring us a legit SP Wayne!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Lancaster reports that Lohse was told he'll be used as a reliever.

We still have a black hole in the fifth spot if that's true. We don't even know if Claussen will be ready to go on Saturday and Germano is now gone. I guess we will get to see what Mike Gosling has.

We also have nine pitchers in the bullpen as of right now.

Why can't we make deadline deals like the Cards make almost every year?

The franchise is a joke.
    At least Lohse is being used in his proper role. Hopefully Krivsky has something up his sleeve.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast