Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So what does Wayne K do?

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

So what does Wayne K do?

Germano was subpar and from all looks of it, is not a pitcher who will contribute to a postseason run (he'll possibly keep us in the game, but that seems to be it.) Many make the point that several teams have poor 5th starters, and it truly wouldn't be much of an issue if we had a solid four. Obviously Milton is not a solid 4th pitcher and Elizardo can get rocked from time to time as well. We need to have a better option than Germano if we plan to keep competiting, because given Narron's lineups and late inning decisions, runs can be hard to come across at times.

So I am not asking what you would like to see at the deadline, but what do you expect. Has anyone heard any rumblings? I suppose we'll hear more either way since Germano made his start, but given that it wasn't terrible, I really doubt we'll be getting that early Christmas present in July. Then again given the cost of pitchers, I don't know if I would want to pay it even for a marginal one.

MLB ERA
    I wouldn't mind paying for one that would be a REASONABLE upgrade, as long as it wasn't too much. I would only pay the big bucks on a total impact starter.

Either the fourth or fifth spot in the rotation certainly needs addressed at the very least.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

I've heard rumblings that Krivsky has an offer out that could signal the change of an era in Cincy. This is according to Will Caroll. Not sure who the specific player is but my money's on Miguel Tejada. He would signal a new era in terms of payroll in Cincinnati, and the key piece to the deal would probably be Joey Votto and some more prospects. Maybe someone like Travis Wood or heck maybe even Jay Bruce.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Interesting stuff homerun. But I just have to think anything with Tejada would require back Bailey. Given the fact that he is still in his prime and wouldn't be a rental type player.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I saw an update on the Carroll report:

The name? Craig Wilson. At least three teams are in on him right now, but once again, the Pirates are asking for the moon. The Reds willingness to get in on a rental player signals that they're looking to win now, whether it's to catch the Cards or to hang on to the wild card. The team is now willing to take on some salary if that's what's needed, a big change from the old ownership. Wilson is hardly the only name that the Reds have looked into, although their focus is still on pitching.

MLB ERA
    Carroll later added that Craig Wilson was the player he was talking about and it would signal a change in "era" because the Reds would be taking on his salary(which is $3.3 million).

First of all, I don't see where he would fit on the team. Secondly, that type of salary addition doesn't seem to indicate a change in era to me. They saved money in the future by getting rid of Kearns/Lopez and might still have that money from losing Casey around. I don't see how adding Wilson would "signal" anything, so I'm not quite sure what Carroll is thinking.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I've always digged Craig Wilson, like a lot, but I don't get it. He's a good player but one that would be expensive to acquire and is it just me or are we a bit stacked? Unless he's dirt cheap, which he won't be, let's save our resources for pitching and play the proper players as starters (Hint, Freel at RF, Ed E at 3B and Aurilia and Hatteberg with a platoon at 1st.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    First of all, I don't see where he would fit on the team. Secondly, that type of salary addition doesn't seem to indicate a change in era to me. They saved money in the future by getting rid of Kearns/Lopez and might still have that money from losing Casey around. I don't see how adding Wilson would "signal" anything, so I'm not quite sure what Carroll is thinking.
    Really the only way I would get excited about a trade like that was if the Reds didn't overpay severely like they (and many other teams) have done this season and if we found a way to get Perez included on the cheap. I am not saying that's likely, I just wouldn't be thrilled about Wilson because if anything that would signify to me a possibility of moving Dunn for a pitcher (call me crazy, but whenever rumors pop up, I fear that they will trade our Adam.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I truly hope that Krivsky and co. were not weighing their options based on Germano's start tonight. But at least they got a sample of what it could be like.

I just read the Germano optioned to Louisville post and am feeling like Claussen isn't much better if at all. This gives me the biggest feeling yet of a possible trade brewing. Then again, it could be a commitment to Claussen.

But we have a new owner that said he would use some of his money if need be when as long as the Reds were contenders. Well, that is the case and we may be able to fit that in right now.

Hopefully Castellini can hold true to his word and Krivsky can find that missing piece. If that piece is Tejada, I still would not understand the pitching situation. Tejada would be an amazing pick up, but he just doesn't make as much sense as a SP. Then again, the only real worthy SP being thrown out there is Zito. And he is a rent-a-player and Beane is already asking for guys like Milledge in return. That means Bruce and someone like Wood in Reds terms. I don't know if I would give up that much of our future for 1/2 year of Zito.

Just some thoughts. Right now, I am just intrigued by the Germano send down though and am hopeful that it is not a commitment to Claussen.

MLB ERA
    The only way I could possibly see adding Wilson making any sense is if they are going to trade an outfielder(Freel or Denorfia?) as part of a deal for some pitching after trading for Wilson. I just don't see how else adding him would make any sense.

I doubt they'd add him to dump Hatteberg being he just signed that new deal, especially since he is 35 or older and plays the game the right way unlike Freel or Denorfia.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I know you and I both have beat this issue to death, but it's so simple to play Freel everyday. Knowing this team we will trade him like you speculated as a possibility to a team who would appreciate a guy who posts an OBP closer to .400 than the quality vets we bring in like Clayton who are lucky to post a .330.

MLB ERA
    Just watch us trade Freel and EdE so Rich can take 3B full-time.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I will be sick if they traded Ed E, seriously.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Not that it wouldn't sicken me if they trade Freel, but given the gross under-appreciation for Freel, I wouldn't be surprised by it.

MLB ERA
    Our new infield:

Aurilia 3B, Clayton SS, Phillips 2B, Hatteberg 1B

If they do that, I would not be stunned to see Phillips gone not long after that, as I am sure Narron thinks he's too young to be a key component in important situations. Another vet would of course take his place.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast