Thread: Germano optioned back to AAA

MLB ERA

Germano optioned back to AAA

A bit of intrigue

MILWAUKEE -- Following the game, the Reds optioned Justin Germano back to Louisville.

Narron said Germano was going back no matter how he pitched, so there obviously is something going on here. The fifth starter's spot won't be needed again until next Saturday, if my math is correct. That start could go to Brandon Claussen, who would be on regular rest if he makes his Monday rehab start as scheduled, and the Reds could use the roster spot in the meantime for another bullpen arm or bench help.

Still, as conservative as the Reds tend to be with rehab assignments and seeing how things play out, I'm surprised they would commit to a schedule like that without knowing how Claussen performs Monday. Which raises the possibility that a trade is in the works. I don't think that would surprise anyone, though I haven't heard anything specific today.

I'm sure it'll all become crystal clear by tomorrow, but this one's got me a bit confused at the moment

- Marc Lancaster
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Ugh, Claussen. It seems as if my last post was a bit too early, this changes things and does make for an interesting possibility of a trade. I wonder what we'll be hearing over the next day.

MLB ERA
    This wouldn't seem to be the time they would decide to send Germano down if they were simply waiting on Claussen. As Lancaster said, it would seem like they would make sure Claussen looked OK enough to come up or didn't get hurt or something else. Germano won't be pitching in AAA now until around Thursday or so, so it's not like they need him tomorrow. It seems the team wanted a roster space cleared ASAP, as they are now down to a 24-man roster.

And you know, it makes me start wondering about Freel and Edwin sitting out tonight. Yeah, EdE sits a lot, but to have them both on the bench and show on signs at all of using them to PH doesn't make much sense to me. Why would you sit them BOTH on the same night with an off-day coming up on Monday? This would be even more suspicious than it is if Narron weren't our manager. It is a somewhat plausible situation with him as manager unfortunately.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    From the Reds site...hmmm:

After the game, Germano was optioned back to Louisville, but it wasn't because of anything he did in the game. It was a decision manager Jerry Narron said was planned all along. An off day Monday meant a fifth starter won't be needed this week. A corresponding roster move wasn't announced.

In fact, it appeared that Germano made the good impression he wanted. The right-hander often changed speeds. He often featured a low 90s mph fastball, but could also drop into the 60s and 70s with off-speed stuff.

"I was pleased with the way he pitched," Narron said. "It looks like he has a pretty good idea. Even up at-bat when he was able to bunt. It looks like he's got a chance to do some things."

MLB ERA
    Add another ex-National

MILWAUKEE -- To fill the roster spot vacated by Justin Germano, the Reds have recalled outfielder Brandon Watson from Louisville.

Watson was claimed off waivers from the Nationals the day after the big trade. He hit .220 with three RBIs in 15 games for Louisville, but is a .304 career hitter in 769 minor-league games.

He also happens to be Eric Davis' godson

What a yawner. If that's the only move the team is making before the deadline I'm going to be annoyed. Why did they need to send Germano down so quickly to ensure Watson was up with the team? They already have four outfielders and plenty of PH off the bench on any given day. This entire Germano option to AAA and call up of Watson just doesn't make sense on the surface.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Unless they brought up another outfielder because one of the current outfielders is being included in a trade...
    rf28

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Brandon Watson is trash. We can't find enough playing time for all the players we got, so let's bring up another one Narron will take rare time from players like Denorfia from.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Brandon Watson is trash. We can't find enough playing time for all the players we got, so let's bring up another one Narron will take rare time from players like Denorfia from.

Yup. Unless this move means something else, it sickens me. If calling up Watson is our "deadline move" while other teams add talent, I'm not going to be pleased.

If it doesn't mean something else, I'm sure Freel and EdE will be on the bench together often.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Again, unless one of the outfielders is getting traded.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    If they traded Freel I guess Denorfia would maybe get to start in RF then? The team made it sound like this was his "chance" when they brought him up this time, but he hasn't played hardly at all. It wouldn't make me overly comfortable with someone like Watson as the first backup to a Dunn, Griffey and Denorfia outfield. They would need to add someone like Craig Wilson at that point.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'm not sold on Freel/Denorfia being the one traded. I have a sinking suspicion that its COULD be Griffey/EdE.
    rf28