Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mays expected to be cut today so Ross can come off DL

MLB ERA

Mays expected to be cut today so Ross can come off DL

Mays' tenure with Reds may be ending

By Marc Lancaster
    Post staff reporter

HOUSTON - Joe Mays remains listed as the Reds' probable starter for Saturday's game at Milwaukee, but it doesn't appear he will get the ball that evening.

In fact, there's a possibility the Reds will cut ties with Mays today, when they'll need a roster spot to activate catcher David Ross from the 15-day disabled list.

Asked Tuesday about Mays' status, manager Jerry Narron wouldn't tip his hand on what the Reds might do.

"If he's listed (to start), he's listed," said Narron.

Mays stepped into the Reds' rotation a little more than a month ago when Brandon Claussen went on the disabled list. After a solid first outing against the Mets in New York (six innings, two runs), the right-hander has been pounded his last three times out. In 14 innings over those starts, he has allowed 19 earned runs (a 12.21 ERA), 25 hits and 10 walks.

Though the Reds' offense managed to bail out Mays in his last outing against the Brewers on Saturday, the pitcher still hasn't earned a win in 10 starts between Kansas City and Cincinnati this season.

With the Reds in the midst of their most legitimate playoff run since 1999, there isn't an abundance of time to wait and see if Mays will come around. That every-game-counts urgency probably will be the impetus behind someone else making the start Saturday - the Reds have to try something different.

Louisville left-hander Michael Gosling (4-5, 4.50 ERA) would be on the standard four days' rest Saturday if the Reds chose to give him a one-start audition. Lefty Phil Dumatrait (4-4, 3.98) last pitched Sunday for Louisville, so he would be on five days' rest. Right-hander Justin Germano has the best numbers of the group, 8-6 with a 3.69 ERA, but he is slated to start Thursday for the Bats.

Claussen isn't a possibility, as he is scheduled to make a rehab start tonight for Louisville at Buffalo, but he could step in the next time the fifth starter's turn comes around for Cincinnati.

Narron was asked if the Reds would be willing to carry only 11 pitchers if they were to send out one of them to make room for Ross.

"There's a chance," he said. "Having (next) Monday off, it's a possibility."

The most logical scenario features the Reds designating Mays for assignment today to activate Ross, then waiting until the weekend to clear a spot for whoever ends up starting Saturday. That could be done by cutting a bench player to make room for one of the aforementioned pitchers, or the Reds could make another trade - perhaps dealing from their surplus of catchers to add another arm.

All that's certain is the wheels will be set in motion today.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    We can only hope that the end is near. Anything going in the rumor mill CRF (other than the unlikley Rockies-Red rumor)?

Mays truly has been up with the worst of the worst, just the sad fact is that this year it actually matters when a pitcher of our's bombs.

MLB ERA
    I think a few of the rumors might have legs. I wouldn't be stunned if a catcher is moved, but I'm also wondering whether or not Denorfia might be included a part of the deal, as it seems he is not going to be playing RF afterall. It's not that I'm upset Freel is playing(quite the opposite in fact), but having him ride the bench just isn't good. If Narron could only decide to put Freel at 2B and Phillips at SS, then he could play RF, but we know that won't happen, at least this year.

I wouldn't be stunned to see the team include him in a possible deal if it somehow managed to sweeten the pot slightly.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    C- Ross
    1B- Hatteberg
    2B- Freel
    3B- Encarnacion
    SS- Phillips
    LF- Dunn
    CF- Griffey
    RF- Denorfia

or

C- Ross
    1B- Hatteberg
    2B- Phillips
    3B- Aurilia
    SS- Clayton
    LF- Dunn
    CF- Griffey
    RF- Freel

When you could have a lineup like the first, but choose the second, that shows how our management thinks. Although a case right now could be argued against Phillips moving positions given his struggles (but it's not like he's never played SS before either). And if the Reds cared so much about defense that their willing to sacrifice other parts of the game it's funny you never hear a peep about a possibility of Griffey moving to put someone with more range out there.

MLB ERA
    Yeah, Griffey is transplanted in CF and third in the lineup. The double-standards Narron have are laughable.

I really wouldn't mind seeing Denorfia in RF if they insist on Griffey staying in CF. He would not only be good in RF, but would probably help Griffey's poor range out some too. Freel could then be at 2B and provide his typically good defense. They preach defense but don't but the best combo out there. It's stupid.

Denorfia has to be one of the rangiest outfielders I've ever seen. Him out there could save us quite a few Runs.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    You got to feel for Edwin seeing that he's done NOTHING wrong in terms of completly failing. Yes, his defense has suffered in some games but as ghetto pointed out, many legendary fielders struggled early on as they were crafting their ability. What does Encarnacion have to do to free himself of the bench?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't be surprised if Edwin is a part of a package deal to get us a pitcher.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    You got to feel for Edwin seeing that he's done NOTHING wrong in terms of completly failing. Yes, his defense has suffered in some games but as ghetto pointed out, many legendary fielders struggled early on as they were crafting their ability. What does Encarnacion have to do to free himself of the bench?
    Kill Narron?

And if Ed E is part of the package we better be getting someone named Dontrelle or Barry and signing them to a LONG (3-4 yrs) extension or else it will be a worse deal that makes us even older than the last deal.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It just doesn't make sense to trade Ed E now. In a few seasons he will be so good and if the market is as tough as Krivsky says it is, you can be sure that we would fail to maximize value on yet another player.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Slyder
    Kill Narron?

And if Ed E is part of the package we better be getting someone named Dontrelle or Barry and signing them to a LONG (3-4 yrs) extension or else it will be a worse deal that makes us even older than the last deal.
    I dunno, I think giving up EdE for Barry Bonds and then signing him through age 45 would be a bad idea

AAA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    We can only hope that the end is near. Anything going in the rumor mill CRF (other than the unlikley Rockies-Red rumor)?

Mays truly has been up with the worst of the worst, just the sad fact is that this year it actually matters when a pitcher of our's bombs.
    What exactly is the Rockies-Reds rumor? I haven't heard of it.

MLB ERA
    something along the lines of package including LaRue or Valentin for Shealy I think.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think those are a bit more of dreaming. From what I recall it was about LaRue for King, but the Rockies weren't interested as it would block a prospect in their system. Shealy could be traded, but I think that is now dead with the Hatteberg extension. Although some team will be quite lucky to get him, too bad I don't think it will be us. Stupid Rockies.

MLB ERA
    It's official.

Mays has been DFA and Ross has been brought back up off the DL.

Finally!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Let's hope David Ross hasn't missed a beat with his off-time. And that Arroyo will start posting dominating start one after the other with his usual partner in crime behind the plate.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast