Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ask Hal: Will any of the Griffey trade rumors come to fruition?

MLB ERA

Ask Hal: Will any of the Griffey trade rumors come to fruition?

Ask Hal on Baseball: What's the worst Reds game Hal's seen?

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

You've got the questions, Hal McCoy has the answers. Visit DaytonDailyNews.com/reds for more "Ask Hal." To submit questions about baseball, e-mail hmccoy@DaytonDailyNews.com

QUESTION — What is the worst Reds game that you can recall watching, sort of like games when David Klingler was quarterback of the Cincinnati Bengals? — James, Dayton

ANSWER — In 32-plus years, I've seen more than 5,000 games, including my share of clinkers and stinkers. Pointing to one is impossible. At my age, I barely remember yesterday and to zip up my pants. I've seen thousands of good ones, too, unlike when Klingler was QBing the Bengals and you could say, "They were all bad."

Q — Brady Clark isn't a five-tool player, but he advances runners, has some pop in his bat and will hit for average. Too bad the Reds didn't like him as much as (former manager) Jack McKeon did. — Bill, Villa Hills, Ky.

A — You answered that one yourself. Former GM Jim Bowden was enamored with five-tool guys, even though most of them left four of their tools in the box when they played. Clark is like Ryan Freel, a down-and-dirty guy who plays hard and does the little things. Milwaukee loves him. Give me eight Clarks and Freels and I'll take on your Five-Tool All-Stars.

Q — People are pointing fingers at the Reds bullpen, but I say the problems lie with the pathetic starters who give up four or five or more runs in five innings and have to rely on the offense to win games. — Bob, Dayton

A — True, the starters have to pick it up or the bullpen won't be able to button their shirts by the All-Star break. The Reds philosophy is pitching to contact and the starters certainly are doing that. They seem to be hitting bats with regularity. Eric Milton hasn't missed many so far.

Q — Do you think any of these trade rumors involving Ken Griffey Jr. will develop? — Lonnie, Delhi

A — What rumors? I've heard zero. The only rumor was that Griffey agreed to accept a trade to the New York Yankees, but it wasn't true and the Yankees haven't asked about Junior. Because he is a 10-and-5 guy (10 years in the majors, five years with his current team) he can turn down any trade. He isn't likely to accept any trade, and color me stupid, if you wish, but I believe he'll still be a big contributor. In fact, if the Reds are going to stay within vision of the St. Louis Cardinals, he has to be.

Q — I remember Dave Miley saying Ryan Freel was his leadoff man and also remember the Reds saying it may not be in their best interests to sign Jason LaRue. What happened? — Doug, West Carrollton

A — Miley said Freel was his leadoff man last year, when because of injuries Freel was playing every day. And he still is the leadoff man when he plays. I believe he will play more ... at least he should. Nobody on the Reds, to my knowledge, said that about LaRue. Before they let LaRue go, there have to be some alternatives. Have you checked the Reds minor-league system lately? Yech.

Q — I'm a first-year season ticket holder at Ohio State, and if Adam Dunn can't get tickets for the OSU-Texas game, I'll trade him my tickets for some memorabilia to auction for my softball team. — Greg, Fairborn

A — If Adam wants OSU tickets, I'm sure his good friend Kirk Herbstreit can provide them, probably a roving sideline pass where he can hear the grunts and the sounds of pads colliding. In fact, if things don't go well for the Longhorns, you might see Dunn on the field wearing burnt orange and calling signals. He still has eligibility left.

Q — Have the Reds called in Terminex to have their bats sprayed or examined? — Bill, Cincinnati

A — Terminex says they can't help. With runners in scoring position, the termites take over. What the Reds need now are aluminum bats and a large supply of rust remover.

Q — What plans and changes can the Reds make to shore up the rotation? — R.G., New Jersey

A — No plans, no big changes. They've made their investments in Eric Milton and Ramon Ortiz and there is no wiggle room in the salary structure. They hope Luke Hudson's shoulder gets better soon because he was the best they had late last season. As for trades, no team trades good pitching. Quality pitching is available only through free agency and the Reds invested $25 million in Milton. How's that worked so far?

Q — When an outfielder picks up a ball to throw to home, do they pay attention to how they grip the ball so they don't inadvertently throw a breaking ball? — Dan, Beavercreek

A — They don't have time to adjust their grips. They pick it and fling it. And many outfielders have natural curves, with most left-handers having natural cutters that tail away. Making long throws accurately isn't easy. Sometimes making short throws from second base to first base isn't easy. Ask Steve Sax, who developed the throwing yips and had to retire.

Q — The trade to acquire Ken Griffey Jr. was the Reds' worst trade, and the second worst was trading Frank Robinson to Baltimore, right? — Ron, Newark, N.J.

A — Wrong and wrong. To me, the worst trade the Reds ever made was trading Tony Perez to Montreal in 1977 for a half a box of open cereal and a 1958 Edsel. It was a year after the Reds won back-to-back World Series and GM Bob Howsam acknowledges it was the worst trade he ever made. It was the beginning of the end for the Big Red Machine. As for the Robinson trade, there were extenuating personal circumstances that went into Bill DeWitt trading him.

Q — It doesn't seem like real major-league baseball with Barry Bonds on the DL, the Chicago White Sox in first place and the New York Yankees in last place. Who do you think the Reds will trade? — Tyler, Dayton

A — Bonds will be back (unfortunately), the White Sox have a good team, I predicted the Yankees wouldn't win it this year and the Reds won't trade anybody noteworthy until July, when there could be massive unloading.

Q — Is Dave from Centerville a real person or is he a fictional character made up to elicit responses from your devoted baseball readers? — Joe, Dayton

A — Truthfully, I've never seen the guy, but he pops up almost daily in my e-mail. Believe me, not even Ring Lardner could make up a character like Dave. You can't make up the stuff he comes up with. And he does elicit responses. One guy sent me a mock news story in which Dave was found in a trash can in Centerville and the sanitation department wouldn't pick him up. Another guy named Dave said he was giving the Daves of the world a bad name.

Q — I was out doing my pre-dawn run when suddenly I felt my hamstring twitch. As I reached back with anguish I could see Ken Griffey Jr. with that ever-present smile. The baseball gods were at work. And no, I don't do steroids. So how can I contact Dr. Kremchek to see about putting some screws in my hamstring? — Dave, Miamisburg/Centerville/Beavercreek/Wherever

A — There are some readers who want to know when and where you do your pre-dawn jog. Neither the baseball gods nor Griffey ever would smile at you. Dr. Kremchek has some screws he'd love to put in your head.

Q — What former Red, who is playing with a different organization currently, would you most like to have back on the Reds roster? — Bill, Cincinnati

A — That's an easy one. Have you noticed that Aaron Boone, who didn't play at all last year, has four home runs for the Cleveland Indians? I love Joe Randa and what he did early in the season for the Reds and he is fitting nicely in the clubhouse, but Boone remains an all-time favorite. And while we're at it, let's bring Bret Boone back, too. Bob Boone? Well ... let's not go too far. And Daniel Boone couldn't hit a curveball.

Q — This is a serious question. Do you believe in baseball curses? — Parsin, Dayton

A — About as much as I believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and leprechauns. OK, I believe in leprechauns. I have to, I'm Irish. As far as the Curse of the Bambino? Well, it sold a lot of books in Boston. The curse of the Billy Goat in Chicago? The only curse on the Cubs is that they've had a lot of bad baseball teams.

Q — I like the move manager Dave Miley made in Chicago. I would have pitched to Derrek Lee. — Paul, Dayton

A — Hindsight, of course, is 20/10 or better. I must say that before they let Joe Valentine pitch to Lee with a three-run lead, two on and first base open, I turned to the guy next to me in the Wrigley Field press box and said, "What are they doing? They'll pay for this one." And they did. He hit a three-run, game-tying home run and the Reds eventually lost. The book says, "Never put the winning run on base on the road." But ... Lee has hit five of his seven home runs against the Reds, he had three hits already that day, including a home run his previous at-bat. Me? I put Lee on first base and set up a possible inning-ending double play. But that's why I'm in the press box, where tough decisions are easy.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Thanks for the link, interesting read. I really hope I don't offend anyone too greatly, but I have never liked Hal's writing. Sometimes it's hard to discern what it is exactly that he's trying to do as a writer. Is he trying to protect the Reds? Sure seems so with the constant, and I mean CONSTANT, condesceding tone toward the readers. He writes as if we are five year olds. Does he have any insider information for the readers who send questions to him? It sure seems to me like he THINKS he does, however almost none of what he says has any substance to it whatsoever. So, I ask, why exactly is he still employed as a writer for the Reds? So much of his stuff has a pinch of anger to it, but not in the sense that he's upset as a fan toward the Reds. It seems to me that it's the sort of anger that radio talk show hosts (i.e., Sean Hannity) display in order to provoke the anger of the listeners, readers, etc. That way, Sean Hannity has a fanbase. And, so does Hal McCoy.

MLB ERA
    I don't agree with your assessment of Hal at all.

His writing is excellent. It is written well and is considered good Journalism.

His "condescending tone" is just sarcasm. He is just trying to keep everyone interested, instead of boring them with a pedestrian response to every question. He only writes as if someone is five years old if their question SOUNDS as though it came from someone who is five.

And he has plenty of inside information. He is known for breaking many Reds stories, including Pete's gambling issues.

He is employed because he is a good writer and is in the HOF, not to mention he is respected by most.

And comparing him to Hannity is a favorable thing in my mind, since I am a huge fan of him and his high moral standards. He is certainly very conservative, but I agree with many things he says.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    WOW, I thought you would go off CRF! Way to stay calm and take the humble approach.LOL.

BTW, I love Hal's writing. But good opinions are greatly appreciated.

MLB ERA
    I try to stay calm unless I'm attacked personally.

Oh, so he broke the news on Pete Rose, eh? What's he done lately? I'm sorry, but employing a writer because of his legacy is ridiculous. Produce journalism of worth, or get out. I've seen sports journalism WAY better than Hal's stuff.

MLB ERA
    He sure did. He still gathers inside information way before most other industry sources do.

And whether or not you like it or not, Hal's writing is considered to be superior to the majority of journalists out there.(In the eyes of those who know how to write well)

MLB ERA
    another time where "beauty (good writing) is in the eye of the beholder". I personally like most of Hal's stuff but I try to read as many as I can so as to not be single minded.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    BTW Quiet, are you tremere?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    LOL you finally got it CRF!

MLB ERA
    No wonder all of the Hal-hate.

ERA
    Call NASA

Reds

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    His writing is excellent. It is written well and is considered good Journalism.

His "condescending tone" is just sarcasm. He is just trying to keep everyone interested, instead of boring them with a pedestrian response to every question. He only writes as if someone is five years old if their question SOUNDS as though it came from someone who is five.
    Is it good journalism to do what you do CRF?

IM/PM people telling them to share private information and then use it against them with others???

You know what I am talking about and it is about to come back and bite you in the butt.

MLB ERA
    Sorry NEIL, but I didn't IM you "telling (you) to share private information". You know that you revealed it to me(a public site, BTW) and then had it discovered by someone else on their own.

ERA
    Call NASA

Reds

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Sorry NEIL, but I didn't IM you "telling (you) to share private information". You know that you revealed it to me(a public site, BTW) and then had it discovered by someone else on their own.
    Come on CRF -- admitting your problem is the first step towards getting the help you need.

At least you are willing to admit the incident.

No one would have known how to share that information other than you CRF. That tells me that you know you are BUSTED.

MLB ERA
    I'm not the one who told the individual you didn't want to see the site about it. You know who did that, because I've already told you.

The individual that you dislike so much(the "dog" guy) found the site after this other individual told him you had a site. He didn't even link him to the site...but he found it on his own through the AOL Hometown section.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast