Thread: Dunn tired of steroid talk

MLB ERA

Dunn tired of steroid talk

Dunn tired of steroid talk; Casey against lifetime ban

By Sean McClelland

Dayton Daily News

MILWAUKEE | Baseball Commissioner Bud Selig's latest steroid-punishment proposals left some Reds decidedly uninspired Saturday.

"I'm so tired of talking about steroids," outfielder Adam Dunn said moments after a 5-4 loss to the Milwaukee Brewers took its place in history.

But the Reds will talk about it. And they might even be voting on it eventually, along with the rest of the teams.

In a letter sent to union honcho Donald Fehr this past week, Selig reportedly outlines a plan under which a first-time steroid offense would be met with a 50-game ban, a second-time offense would carry a 100-game ban and a third would result in lifetime suspension.

"When it comes time to vote on it, I guess we'll vote on it," an exasperated Dunn said. "It doesn't affect me."

First baseman Sean Casey immediately took issue with the third-strike punishment.

"A lifetime ban? I think that's a little harsh," Casey said. "That definitely needs to be talked about."

Ortiz can't wait

Ramon Ortiz usually seems happy, but there was extra pep in his step Saturday morning with his return to the mound one day away.

The Reds formally removed "TBA" as today's scheduled starting pitcher in favor of Ortiz, the veteran right-hander who had been on the disabled list since April 17 with a strained right groin.

"I'm ready," Ortiz said. "I feel real good."

At least to some degree, Ortiz remains an unknown quantity, although it's widely assumed the Reds are better with him taking the ball every fifth day than, say, Matt Belisle.

Today marks Ortiz's second start since joining the Reds as a free agent over the winter. He worked five strong innings against Houston on April 8, receiving a no-decision.

"It'll be nice to see him back out there," manager Dave Miley said. "He's got real good stuff."

Ortiz, who will oppose Doug Davis (2-3, 5.40 ERA), also gives the Reds someone who understands the value of pitching inside and isn't afraid to make a hitter move his feet now and then.

To create space, pitcher Todd Coffey was optioned to Louisville.

Freel back on top

Miley started Ryan Freel at second base, hoping he might trigger something atop the lineup in place of D'Angelo Jimenez, who is 3-for-18 on the road trip. Freel proceeded to reach base twice, steal three bases and score two runs.

Freel worked a four-pitch walk to lead off the game, stole second and third and scored on a Casey groundout.

Austin Kearns, meanwhile, again batted cleanup. Might this be his big chance to prove he should play every day, even when Wily Mo Pena returns from his quadriceps injury, perhaps today?

Said Miley, "I don't necessarily categorize it as put-up or shut-up time. Kearnsie's going to hit."

Much happier viewing

Before batting practice, many of the Reds gathered around a giant TV screen and laughed hysterically at the movie Dodgeball. It was, if nothing else, much better pregame fare than Friday's offering, which featured Jim Rome ranting about how Ken Griffey Jr. should retire from baseball due to his extended home run drought.

Stat of the day

When Kearns doubled in the third inning, the Reds became the first team since the 1998 Minnesota Twins to have at least one two-base hit in 23 consecutive games at the start of a season. They're the first NL team to do it since the 1987 St. Louis Cardinals.

Contact Sean McClelland at 225-2408.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    - I am sick of the steroid talk as well, but it is a good thing that Selig is trying to implement so I have to disagree with Casey on this one.

- Freel should leadoff more than he does.

- Coffey is the one that went down. We all called it, and it should be good for him to try and get ready for a better callup next time.
    Hopefully Ortiz brings a lot to the mound tomorrow. We really could use it.

- Congrats on all the doubles. I wonder how long they can keep this up. The biggest thing that comes to mind though is, how many of those doubles have turned into scored runs?

- I wish they would tell us what movies the team is watching before gametime. I would watch the same thing as them. LOL.

MLB ERA
    You could try to channel some of your positive energy between yourself and the players if you know what movie they were watching before a game.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    LOL, I wish. But I would see what there are using to inspire them or to make them laugh. I guess I would just feel more apart of the team. Although I am no part at all. just a fan. But you know...

Guess what, Mr. Casey? The betterment of the game depends on the game being cleaned up. The main focus right now, in doing that, is to clean up the usage (not "abuse") of steroids. Cheaters don't belong in the game.

Since Sean really doesn't do much with his bat and doesn't cheat (not that we're aware of, yet), I'm wondering why he is so protective of his fellow teammates? I'm wondering if Sean is afraid that this might somehow lead to players making less money to play the game. He has to know that many fans (and even more of those that aren't) are sick of how much players make to play the game.

Sean, since you're such an ambassador for the game, why not work to protect the integrity of the game?

MLB ERA
    Sean has done a lot with his bat in recent years, despite his slow start this year.

I just think he is a good guy and wants what is good for baseball; although I don't agree with him on this particular issue.

AAA ERA
    they watched dodgeball before the game...hey whatever works...

ERA
    Call NASA

Reds

Quote Originally Posted by griffeyfan30
    they watched dodgeball before the game...hey whatever works...
    That clubhouse needs some veteran leadership that can acknowledge that they ar not playing the way they should. I don't see Joe Morgan and Pete Rose allowing "Dodgeball" to be viewed before a Reds game when they are playing this poorly.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree with you on this one NEIL. Dodegball is a great movie and all. And they do need to sit back and realx at times. But before a game, especially after you have been losing, you have to focus. Get everybody ready to go out there and do the best they can do. Not have the "OK, I guess we have a game to go play" while stretching and yawning getting off the clubhouse couch. I want to see more of a pumped up team ready to destroy any team that opposes them.