Thread: Time to clean house

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Reds Time to clean house

There is a losing smell going on in the Reds baseball camp and it stinks. There is so much dirty laundry that there is no room left in the laundry basket. And we are not just talking about Ryan Freel's dirty uniform. We are talking about a team that has got to get things together soon in order to contend. So the laundry has to be sorted out and ready for a cleansing.

It is hard to be a Reds fan right now. We came into the season expecting more. On paper we see a much better team. But thats just it, the team has not played at or near it's ability. We see that some of the offensive problems are becoming a little less stained, but the bleach has not come in full effect yet. The offense has to click together and help one another out. One key to that is starting Freel as much as possible, as he has been a guy creating runs in the leadoff position like it is something he must do. He is the key to a great start for a ballgame as evidenced by his last few starts. Then you have to have the rest come in and work with what they have. Junior finally got his home run, so can he put that behind him for a little while and get some more big hits? He has been pretty good the last four games and that is what we need from him. The entire offense including Aurilia is hitting. But is not hitting with runners in scoring position. Which makes it almost pointless unless you are worried about stats. Which is great, But winning games and scoring runs should take precedence.

Casey and Wilson have to get this team together and have a team meeting (sort out the laundry). Neither of them can point fingers, but just create a spark. Then bust out the detergent and make everything so fresh and so clean clean. Step away from the past and get it going. Throw strikes and hit the ball. Play strong defense and don't just worry about the home run. Concentrate on tomorrow's game and don't worry about the NBA playoffs tonight. Study your opposing pitcher and your opposing lineup. Get all the laundry together and clean it.

I want to see this team show up at the laundromat and start it off on a clean slate. I am not worried about tomorrow's game because these guys should be frustrated enough to know that something has to happen before the division gets too far ahead. The season is not over yet, but it is looking tougher and tougher to be able to catch up. Come on Reds come out tomorrow a better team, so we can say the redsrbetter once again!

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    remember dude its only april 30. LOTS of games left. the only team that is very strong in the central is the Cardinals. everyone else has a lot of flaws. and even the cardinals are susceptible. (only decent starting pitching, bullpen a bit weaker than last year, Izzy out for at least another few weeks).

dont lose faith now.

MLB ERA
    That sounded an awful lot like a sermon from a preacher. And since I know you are very in touch with God, that probably isn't too unrealistic.

Good points though.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

I think that replacing the pitching coach and hitting coach would do wonders in getting this club headed in the right direction. The coaches on this team NEVER have anything to say to the media that is of substance. They NEVER stand up and take accountability for what it is happening. Before those two positions are to be replaced, the best thing that could happen is for the Cincinnati Reds to go out and get a REAL MANAGER that demands 100% effort and POSITIVE RESULTS from his players. Think Piniella, Torre, Larussa, etc. Those guys can manage. They're not "yes, man" managers. They have the ability to get the resources to go out and get the best players. Miley is a puppet. Get a real manager, and he will take care of the rest.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    That sounded an awful lot like a sermon from a preacher. And since I know you are very in touch with God, that probably isn't too unrealistic.

Good points though.
    Thanks buddy! I am just trying to hope for the best right now and I believe this team has to have their woes thrown in their face, let them see it and sort it out.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by QuietAcre
    I think that replacing the pitching coach and hitting coach would do wonders in getting this club headed in the right direction. The coaches on this team NEVER have anything to say to the media that is of substance. They NEVER stand up and take accountability for what it is happening. Before those two positions are to be replaced, the best thing that could happen is for the Cincinnati Reds to go out and get a REAL MANAGER that demands 100% effort and POSITIVE RESULTS from his players. Think Piniella, Torre, Larussa, etc. Those guys can manage. They're not "yes, man" managers. They have the ability to get the resources to go out and get the best players. Miley is a puppet. Get a real manager, and he will take care of the rest.

Well we all know it is too early for something like that. Hopefully this team can work beyond any bad management and get something together.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by rockin500
    remember dude its only april 30. LOTS of games left. the only team that is very strong in the central is the Cardinals. everyone else has a lot of flaws. and even the cardinals are susceptible. (only decent starting pitching, bullpen a bit weaker than last year, Izzy out for at least another few weeks).

dont lose faith now.

I haven't lost any faith man. Like I said, the season is not over.

MLB ERA
    I don't blame Chambliss and Don for the team's problems.

If the team really isn't prepared to compete, I think most of that rests on O'Brien.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

ERA
    Call NASA

Reds

I don't blame Chambliss and Don for the team's problems.

If the team really isn't prepared to compete, I think most of that rests on O'Brien.
    What a stupid place to put the blame. What has O'Brien done that merits getting the blame??? The players have to perform.

MLB ERA
    O'Brien signed the players that have displayed little talent up to this point.

ERA
    Call NASA

Reds

O'Brien signed the players that have displayed little talent up to this point.
    And if they ultimately don't display any talent and he doesn't make changes then I think then you can stsrat to place blame on him.

But to be saying that after 25 games is a bit premature.

heck, even our former GM gave Tony Perez 44 games before dumping him.

You want to assess Dan O'Brien's tenure after 25 games?

That sound stupid.