Thread: Guardado traded to Reds

Guardado traded to Reds

Reds get:

RP Eddie Guardado

Mariners get:

SP Travis Chick

Not a blockbuster deal but I like it, looks like Krivsky listened to me

AAA ERA
    Everyday Eddie huh? Well i guess we'll just see how this one plays out. I'm glad that Wayne is doing something to try and help this bullpen out.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Travis Chick is supposedly the man traded.

So we get an ex-Twin (wow), with a high salary (assuming the M's don't pick any of it up) who's a flyball pitcher and one who has had righties with a 1.115 OPS off of him. Oh, and he's 36. Chick wasn't the prospect we tried to hype ourselves on but Eddie has been miserable this year like our pen has. He does have success and coming to the NL for a first time could be a move in his favor, but I just don't get it He's homer happy and hittable, but who knows, maybe he'll find the success he once had.

So M's fans, how bad has Eddie looked this year?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I will say this, it is effort. We can't expect to trade for a studly closer without giving up top notch talent and maybe Wayne knows something we don't know. If it doesn't pan out, it won't kill us obviously (in terms of talent loss, unless Chick further develops his secondary pitches), but I hope even if it does work out that we will still be on the hunt for another arm or two.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    This deal blows!
    rf28

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    According to Yahoo, we get cash too. I really hope since we're dealing a prospect with some upside that we're getting at least half of that contract covered if not more.

Reds acquire LHP Guardado from Mariners
    July 6, 2006

CINCINNATI (AP) -- Trying to bolster their struggling bullpen, the Cincinnati Reds acquired Eddie Guardado and cash from the Seattle Mariners on Thursday for minor league pitcher Travis Chick.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Does he become the closer since Coffey sucks right now or is he a middle relief guy?
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yes M's fans are going to have to tell us a lot here. Travis Chick was a guy I was very high on when we got him from San Diego in the Randa deal. But he really hasnt panned out as I hoped.

per rotoworld:

Mariners acquired RHP Travis Chick from the Reds for LHP Eddie Guardado and cash.
    It's the third time Chick has been traded, and he still hasn't made it to the majors. His stock peaked in the second half of 2004, and the Reds got him from the Padres last July in the Joe Randa deal. A 2002 14th-round pick, Chick throws in the low-90s and has a quality slider. He might fit better as a reliever than as a starter. He was 4-5 with a 4.61 ERA, 79 H and 77/36 K/BB in 84 IP for Double-A Chattanooga this season.
    Guardado is definitely nothing special. 36 year old with a 1.74 WHIP, 8 HRs in 23 IP, 5.80 ERA. The upside on this guy is that he has some pretty good seasons in recent years past. Has he hit Weathers status all of a sudden due to age? He gets killed against righties (1.115 OPS, .322 AVG., .420 OBP, .695 SLG, 7 HRs). And on top o all this he makes $6.25 million this year. The Reds better not be picking up his whole salary.

I am not very happy with this deal. Yes, we see that Krivsky is obviously concentrating on the right area, but Guardado just doesn't have the numbers this year. Krivsky saw the great part of him when in Minnesota. But he has fallen off this year to say the least.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Looking at Chick's numbers, I am not too upset with the deal. Krivsky may know something more about him and he may know that he can still get guys out. I guess we do have to believe in Krivsky's thinking because of his recent track record. So I can't say that this was a bad move at all. At worst, it doesn't work out and we lose a prospect who would likely never pan out in the first place.

I am going to want to watch this guy throw and see what kind of stuff he has. I guess we could only hope for the best for now.

Chick was going to be Jason Standridge at best probably. He didn't have the control to be a starter.

AAA ERA
    So when does he join the club, and whos spot will he take?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Not sure whose spot he will take (Shackelford?) but 1360 Homer says that he will be with the team tomoroow against the Braves.

MLB ERA
    Sorry guys, but Eddie sucks. His shoulder is a mess and he has lost all of his velocity, his stuff is non-exsistant. This year he is a 'here it is, please miss it' pitcher. The only guys he gets out is by luck. I don't care if Chick gets lost on his way to San Antonio and never throws a pitch, just having Eddie off our team is good enough for me.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Thanks for that MF87.

So this sounds pretty horrible. Is he rehabbing that shoulder right now? I wonder if he had to pass a physical before the deal went through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast