10/31/2005 10:00 AM ET
Mailbag: The All Hallows' Eve edition
Beat writer Anthony Castrovince answers fans' questions

I was just writing to you with a comment and a question. In the Oct. 24 Mailbag, you were asked if a pitcher could be both the winning pitcher and get the save if he pitched the first seven innings and the ninth after a defensive switch. As stated in rule 10.20, "Credit a pitcher with a save when he meets all three of the following conditions: ... (2) He is not the winning pitcher." So no, he could not be both the winner and saving pitcher.

Second, how soon can we look for the Reds to move an outfielder, whomever it may be?
-- Ryan H., Lexington, Ky.

Well, this is the part of this week's Mailbag where I apologize to readers for my incorrect response to Eric G.'s question last week. I gave a tongue-in-cheek response to a question about a scenario that would never occur in today's game. Ryan was one of several readers to point out the error, and I thank all of those who did so.

As for the question about a trade involving one of the outfielders, it looks as though general manager Dan O'Brien had some preliminary discussions with other GMs at the World Series, and the groundwork for a deal could be in place.

O'Brien will be at the GM meetings in Palm Springs, Calif., next week, though I wouldn't necessarily expect anything to be consummated at that time. It's much more likely the club will take action sometime around the Winter Meetings in Dallas in early December.

I'm feeling pretty certain that a deal will go down before Spring Training, and I'm still putting my money on Wily Mo Pena to be the guy to go.

Have a question about the Reds?
E-mail your query to MLB.com Reds beat writer Anthony Castrovince for possible inclusion in a future mailbag column. Letters may be edited for brevity, length and/or content.

What are the hopes for former first-round pick Chris Gruler? Is he going to start off in Class A Dayton or Billings (of the Rookie League) next season? Is he back to 100 percent after the surgery?
-- Zach H., Oakley, Calif.

Gruler, the No. 1 pick in the 2002 draft, had surgery earlier this year to loosen his right shoulder capsule. Sounds like fun, huh?

The Reds were hoping to have him around for Instructional League play, but he's still going through rehab. I'm not sure where he'll land in '06, but the thinking seems to be that he's progressing well enough to be pitching somewhere, rather than sitting in perpetual rehab once again.

Any word on Redsfest for this year? I know it was skipped last year due to the renovations of the Convention Center and was wondering if plans were already set for this year.
-- Nicholas M., Cincinnati

Redsfest will be skipped once again this year because of the Convention Center construction. The team is planning on bringing back the event after the 2006 season.

What positions can Kevin Howard play? Second base, I hope!
-- Craig, Heberle, Ohio

Fear not, Craig. Howard does, indeed, play second base. He can also play third and, I believe, shortstop. But second is his primary position.

I know what you're thinking. You'd like to see Howard, who's played quite well in the Arizona Fall League this month, take over the position for the Reds. Well, O'Brien said that Howard still needs at least another year of Minor League grooming time, though he did offer the standard reminder that prospects at his level are "an injury away."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin