Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: arroyo the stopper, beermen @ reds 6/13

C you there
    MLB ERA
    That's just friggen great griffey on a damn slump we had two people on base one on 2nd and one on 3rd all we needed was one good double and could have scored both in to tie

MLB ERA
    I'm really getting tired of Griffey not being patient by swinging at a lot of first pitches/bad pitches. That simply isn't a smart strategy on his part. That lineup was awful. Narron's bullpen management was also awful. There is no reason to use Yan when down only a run and then to use Mercker. Those two have been awful lately. I would have went to Hammond over either one of them. I'm also thinking Coffey needs to come in some during important situations in the 7th/8th innings more often. I don't think the team can afford to keep him in the closer's role with Weathers injured and some other poor performers in the pen. That would mean someone else would have to close if we got to that point, but we will probably not even GET to that point often with these other guys coming in before him.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I'm really getting tired of Griffey not being patient by swinging at a lot of first pitches/bad pitches. That simply isn't a smart strategy on his part. That lineup was awful. Narron's bullpen management was also awful. There is no reason to use Yan when down only a run and then to use Mercker. Those two have been awful lately. I would have went to Hammond over either one of them. I'm also thinking Coffey needs to come in some during important situations in the 7th/8th innings more often. I don't think the team can afford to keep him in the closer's role with Weathers injured and some other poor performers in the pen. That would mean someone else would have to close if we got to that point, but we will probably not even GET to that point often with these other guys coming in before him.
    Did you ****ing watch Hammond get destroyed Sunday against the Cubs? Our bullpen is atrocious. You might as well call out Narron anytime he goes to anyone not named Todd Coffey. As for the lineup I see no problem, Lopez is really slumping and Olmedo played ok tonight anyway. As for Coffey coming in earlier...HELL NO. He has to be the closer, we simply have to make a deal to get some bullpen help soon.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    I'm really getting tired of Griffey not being patient by swinging at a lot of first pitches/bad pitches. That simply isn't a smart strategy on his part.
    Yeah, because Griffey hasn't gotten any clutch hits all year has he?

I think the 18 year vet knows what he's doing, and doesn't need to take advice from some random guy on a message board.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by homerun21
    Did you ****ing watch Hammond get destroyed Sunday against the Cubs? Our bullpen is atrocious. You might as well call out Narron anytime he goes to anyone not named Todd Coffey. As for the lineup I see no problem, Lopez is really slumping and Olmedo played ok tonight anyway. As for Coffey coming in earlier...HELL NO. He has to be the closer, we simply have to make a deal to get some bullpen help soon.
    He has had a couple of bad games recently, but has also hasn't yielded any runs in six of his last eight outings. When he's gotten crushed, he's gotten crushed, but is certainly a better option than Mercker right now. His track record is also better than Yan's, who shouldn't be pitching in the 8th inning of a one-run game.

The lineup was poor for several reasons. Freel wasn't in it, Dunn batted too low in the order and frankly David Ross did too with the way he's been hitting lately. And Narron also should have PH Freel for Aurilia if he wasn't going to start him tonight when the RH was brought in. Aurilia continuing to bat 4th against RHP doesn't make sense, as he has a .565 OPS on the year against them.

And Coffey doesn't "have" to be the closer. The role of "closer" is overrated. I didn't mind him being named closer at the time he was, but that was because Weathers was struggling in the role and seemed to be a better option as a setup/middle relief pitcher. With him hurting, bringing in Coffey to get the biggest outs of the games is the best role for him. Him being there to close doesn't really matter if the team isn't in the position to use him in that role because of earlier ineffective work. If someone else blew the game in the 9th, at least we would have given them our best shot. Bringing in a poor pitcher for the biggest outs of the game(often in the 7th or 8th innings) isn't a wise strategy and strike me as someone not putting the team in the best position to win the game. Give them the chance earlier on instead of hoping against hope the poor reliever will hold the fort and get the game to the best reliever later on.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by homerun21
    Yeah, because Griffey hasn't gotten any clutch hits all year has he?

I think the 18 year vet knows what he's doing, and doesn't need to take advice from some random guy on a message board.
    What does Griffey's clutch hits this year have to do with him swinging at the first pitch over and over and recording outs? His OPS is at .866, which is certainly not bad, but could be a whole lot better if he would take more consistently smart AB. His OPS over the last seven days is at .835 and even lower than that over the last few games.

freel wasn't available tonight, so you can't pin that on narron. i am getting tired of rich aurilia hitting in the middle of the order because he "plays the game the right way." I'll take an .800 ops from my 7 hitter, that's great. But when you have dunn and kearns hitting fith and sixth, does it make any sense to have aurilia 4th. grif and rich have been horrible for the last week or so, and having auto outs in the middle of the order will shut down an offense pretty quick.

as for the pen, it's tough for narron when coffey's the only guy you can go to with confidence. In the end, to me, it doesn't matter when we blow the game, be it the 7th or the 9th, a loss is a loss. and right now it seems like pretty much everyone but coffey is giving up runs. we need to see some guys at louisville come up to replace white, mercker, and weathers, and we need to see joe mays pitch some more. if he was brought up just as a threat to claussen, that's a wast of a roster spot.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    I didn't know Freel wasn't available last night.

Is there a reason? He's in the lineup today.

Guys, people slump you know. Junior's still the most consistent hitter on the team and should be the #3 guy. If Adam Dunn got more hits with RISP I could see him moving there, but Dunn should be 4th or 5th until he proves he can get HITS with RISP, not walks.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567