Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jason Larue to the Braves?

Jason Larue to the Braves?

Dayton Daily News

There is interest in LaRue, possibly from the Atlanta Braves, who have been sniffing around. While they saw Ross, they also saw LaRue hit a pinch-hit home run.

LaRue's salary is a hindrance toward any deal, and one National League scout said, "The Reds probably would have to pay half of that $5.5 million he makes next year."

Said LaRue, "The team is playing well, and I'm not one to say anything one way or another. I have a record. I know what I can do; they know what I can do. The rest is out of my hands."

Can LaRue play first? If he can, I could see the Braves making a move so he splits time with LaRoche at first. LaRue does have some power, and with many catchers, catching could take a toll on his energy, leaving little for hitting. Maybe moving out from behind the plate could awaken a good hitter. Who knows? With McCann, the Braves don't need a catcher, but if LaRue can play first (hell, even the outfield) the Braves will certainly find a use for him.

MLB ERA
    Ya, I feel bad for LaRue most of all. You come into the season expecting to be the #1 catcher then watch as he gets hurt, we bring in Ross and he performs far beyond anything we expect, Valentin takes time being Ramirez's catcher to help with the language problem, and LaRue struggles when he does get a chance and never has a chance to get on a role. Good to see he's taking the high road and not going to become a problem. Depending on the offer it would be hard for me to agree to pay half of his contract when the market dictates the value is higher in FA.

What happened to the young stud the Braves had at catcher?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

If he can play 1st or LF, he's a welcome addition.

Can he close?
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    They'd just be getting LaRue to hit lefties, since Brian McCann... can't.

But... that... seems stupid... to pay so much for a guy who'll play 30% of the time.

They'd just be getting LaRue to hit lefties, since Brian McCann... can't.
    McCann has a career .333 average vs. LHP.

MLB ERA
    16/55 = .290. He hit .333 against them last year. he's hitting .211 against lefties this year.

There are a few contributing factors to me saying he doesn't hit lefties well.
    The career sample size is small.
    He never hit all that well for average in the minors (.275 career).
    He is a lefty.

The basic idea is the same - LaRue would be obtained to hit lefties, and that's a stupid thing to do.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I want Kyle Davies. That's a fair trade
    rf28

Jason's probably owed around 2.2M for the rest of this year and 5.5M next year. I wouldn't have a problem with sending 1M for this year and 3-3.5M for next year in a deal.

Jason has played first, third, and the outfield in the past in emergency situations. I think he would give you mediocore defense at first and in the OF. He wouldn't be any worse than Adam Dunn.

Quote Originally Posted by McKain
    LaRue would be obtained to hit lefties, and that's a stupid thing to do.

Yes, yes it would.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Nope, LaRue doesnt play 1B.

The Reds have likely been touting one of their catchers. With Ross exploding like he has and Arroyo's love for him, Ross will be sticking around. LaRue is expensive, but he is the odd man out. Valentin is still a good backup catcher with some pop.

I am just happy to have a little insight on who they were looking at dealing. Looks like it is LaRue. Now where will he go and who will we get for him?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think LaRue could play 1st. I mean after Bob Boone put him out there in LF for a few games, I think he could play a lot of places.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    That's stupid. It's like the Yankees trading for a shitty shortstop, then moving him to second. Not a great idea.

MLB ERA
    They better get a pretty good return since he has been one of the top 10 offensive catchers in baseball over the last few years.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

i thought the braves had not one but 2 great young catchers. I'm at a loss if this has anything to it. As for getting a lot for larue, i think that's a stretch. If we pay half his salary i could see getting a decent reliever and maybe a throw away prospect, but i don't know if atlanta has any decent relievers they'd part with.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast