Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: reds draft

MLB ERA
    Apparently Stubbs had a .439 OBP this past year(which included 41 BB in 62 games). It sounds like he has some nice skills, although some won't like that he K's a lot.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Another thing to consider is that Krivsky might be trying to think ahead(not saying whether that's good or bad at this point) to possibly grooming some more players on offense and eventually trading them down the road for pitching(if they develop well, obviously). Although the new ownership and Krivsky have both said how important the draft is, Castellini has consistently seemed like a no-nonsense, win ASAP type guy.

The team might feel more comfortable trading some of our offensive players on the Reds right now if they feel they have viable future options. And of course our MLB offensive players are going to bring us more immediate results. It sounds like a "win now and build for the future" type strategy to me.
    But that's my point CRF, it is much harder to trade a guy like Stubbs down the road for a young studly pitcher. How often do we hear about big time young SP prospects being exchanged for another prospect? Not too often. But if you have that pitcher and need a 3B, even though those deals don't happen a ton, it's much easier to find a team willing to pull that off. I don't hate the Stubbs pick at all (I hate several following picks though), he's a fine player (a bit raw for my liking) I just had my hopes deadset on a pitcher after pretty good research on the guys I felt were the top 4 or 5.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by homerun21
    Drafting for need in baseball is incredibly stupid. Our system SUCKS, we needed everything, taking BPA is fine.
    Outside of the Stubbs pick, which like I said even fell in my range of where I predicted him to land, the Reds did not do this. I would have no problem if they did. They passed up several options of strong canidates who just would happen to fill a need in our system. We passed over talent time after time, I don't know if it was signability issues or what, but we did. I agree that BPA is a great concept if you're willing to put the cash to the issue, it can rebuild your farm much quicker, but that's not what the Reds did in my opinion.

But like always, I am hoping the front office knew what they were doing and we'll be seeing results that we all enjoy come three or four years down the road. I am just hoping Stubbs can develop his power, that seems to be one of the bigger roadblocks for him to pass to determine if he was a legit pick there. His range is incredible and he can burn around the basepaths, so if he can put it all together (and fix the hole in his swing), he could be a complete package. Here's hoping.

MLB ERA
    All I'm saying is it seems the team likes the strategy of trying to win now and bring in talent for the future. I think they feel if they have good offensive options waiting in the wings, they can be more comfortable in trading one of our current outfielders for more immediate major league results.

And as far as I can tell, it seems the Twins over the last several years had taken some players that many said "hmm...not sure?" about that ended up being pretty solid picks. Again, even Marvin Lewis has done that a few times.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Today's picks so far:

19TH ROUND.

Derrick Lutz, RHP, GWU. 6'0" 210.(Started 13 games and pitched 4 complete games.
    1.54 ERA, 99.2 Innings, 65 Hits (3 homeruns) , 30 BB, 89 K)

Reds 20th round pick: Eddy Rodriguez, C, U of Miami.

Christopher White, RHP, Texas A&M Kingsville, 6'2" 205- 21st Round

22nd round (654)

Adam Pointer, RHP, Alvin CC (TX). 5'11" 170

Reds 23rd round pick:

Tony Brown, OF, Crestview Sr. HS (FL) 6'"0 190

Reds pick Round 24:

Anthony Esquer C Cal Poly Pomona

Reds round 25:

Michael McKennon, RF, U of TEX- San Antonio. 6'3" 210

Reds round 26,

Anthony Gressick, RHP, Ohio U. 6'3" 215. (2006: Earned All-MAC First Team honors for the third time in his career, the fifth player in Ohio history to be a three-time selection ... Was named Ohio's Male Scholar-Athlete of the Year by the Green & White Club ... Offensively, Gressick led the team in runs scored (45), hits (73), doubles (16), home runs (8), RBIs (43), walks (25), slugging (.587) and on-base percentage (.449) ... His .372 average was second on the team and sixth in the MAC ... Led the MAC in league-only games with 47 hits ... His 73 hits and 16 doubles were career highs ... Had a career-high - and team-leading - 25 multiple-hit games ... Had three or more hits in a game nine times ... Also led Ohio with 12 multiple-RBI games ... Started the season with a 10-game hitting streak and ended the season with a nine-game run ... Hit safely in 37 of the team's 46 games ... Was Ohio's best hitter against left-handed pitching with a .429 average and led the team in hitting with runners on base at .392 ... Ohio's best clutch hitter, going 16-for-37 (.432) in the eighth and ninth innings ... Season highs include four hits at Toledo (3/31), six RBIs at Miami (5/13), three doubles at Western Kentucky (2/26), and two homers in games at Miami (5/13) and against Bowling Green (5/20) ... Had two homers and a game-winning RBI single in his last game as a Bobcat against Bowling Green (5/20) ... Was named MAC East Division Player of the Week on May 22 ... Finished his Ohio career ranked third on the program's all-time list with 36 home runs, fourth with 384 total bases, fifth with 44 doubles, sixth with 228 hits and sixth with 157 RBIs ... On the mound, Gressick went 4-1 in nine starts ... Missed three turns in the rotation with a shoulder injury ... Finished second on the team and 18th in the MAC with a 4.47 ERA ... Led the starting staff - and ranked seventh in the MAC - with 8.12 strikeouts per nine innings ... Had 49 strikeouts and 20 walks in 54.1 innings pitched ... Allowed one earned run on seven hits with a season-high nine strikeouts in a complete game against Akron (5/6) ... Was named MAC Preseason Player of the Year by Collegiate Baseball and was a preseason All-MAC pick by Baseball America.)

Reds Round 27:

Kettavious Jones (nice name), CF, Darton College (GA). L/L. 5'9" 170(324 AVG, 57 Hits, 10 doubles, 8 triples, 2 homeruns, 34 RBI, 36 BB, 32 K
    He was also 27-28 in stolen bases)

Baseball America thinks the Reds did a nice job on day one, said that they got quite a few good power arms.

MLB ERA
    Do you have a link to their official story, homerun?

Anyway, there seems to be a trend of the Reds taking pitchers who have good hits allowed totals and pretty good/good strikeout totals(and also low homerun totals) that walk quite a decent number of batters.

Perhaps the team feels they can help these players lower their walk totals, as this year's current Reds pitching staff currently has the 3rd fewest walks allowed. That is one reason it has improved this year.

Just a thought.

I'll try to find it, here's some stuff BA said about the Reds that I've seen...

Worth A Look
    6:25 p.m.: There obviously aren't any sure things in the 15th round, but the Reds picked up a prospect with a lot of potential. Rafael Sanchez, a third baseman from Queensborough CC, has plus raw power and a strong arm, but he is very raw and might not have enough agility for third base. He has good upside, though, for a 15th-rounder.

First, the Reds did sign Loo for around $220k. Loo hit three homers at the NJCAA World Series and was cleared medically on his elbow injury, so the Reds signed him. I'm a fan as I believe I have conveyed. Drew Stubbs is an exciting, exciting player, and one hard to pass up. Sean Watson could move quickly, as could Chris Valaika, a nice find in the third round. They got nice power arms later, with Josh Ravin, Jordan Smith, Travis Webb and Josh Roenicke. Those last three are probably relievers, but they have power arms.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567