Thread: Here we go again

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Here we go again

June 5, 2006

Bobby Abreu and Pat Burrell are available, Alfonso Soriano can be had and Reggie Sanders probably can be, too. But the Yankees also have their eye on Ken Griffey Jr. and Adam Dunn, should either become available.

Gary Sheffield's potentially season-ending wrist injury sent general manager Brian Cashman to the phones looking for a corner outfielder late this past week. Big names will be tossed around, but with the Yankees' prospect stash limited, the best option could actually become Griffey.

Griffey's whopping salary ($37 million through 2009) means the Yankees wouldn't have to give up anything of note to get him. The Reds' previous ownership rejected the Yankees' bid for Griffey last year, but the Reds have a new owner, Bob Castellini, and a new GM, Wayne Krivsky, who isn't afraid to deal if they fall out of the race.

Soriano's a high-priced rent-a-player, but the Nats' request of the Mets' Lastings Milledge for Livan Hernandez indicates that temporary GM Jim Bowden is trying too hard to impress his new bosses.

The Nationals will shop Soriano, Hernandez, Jose Vidro and Jose Guillen, but competing club execs wonder if the ownership transition might hinder the process. New Nats president Stan Kasten insisted Friday they'll close before the July 31 trade deadline and noted that Bowden is consulting him about "anything major."

Because the Yankees are reluctant to trade Chien-Ming Wang or Robinson Cano, they'll have difficulty dealing with the Phillies, who seek a starting pitcher. The Yankees' prospect list is "below average at best," one GM said; one scout said the Yankees "have zip at Triple-A." Wang and Cano are their most asked-about players. One American League scout said, "I'd trade Wang before Cano."
    http://www.newsday.com/sports/ny-sph...orts-headlines

MLB ERA
    Yeah, I'm sure the Reds will be thrilled to give up Griffey for nothing at all right now. That would make tons of sense.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Until Castinelli group shows they are going to spend more than about 60-65 mil everytime the Reds come up in trade talk Griffey will be the first on peoples lips. Just because of the sheer amount of the contract.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    If Griffey is traded, then we better get the Yankees top prospect and NOT a scrub!
    rf28

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Yeah, I'm sure the Reds will be thrilled to give up Griffey for nothing at all right now. That would make tons of sense.
    Psst... Dunn makes a lot of cash too.... who cares about the Reds record, they'll deal them both for Aaron Small. They need pitching right?

Ugh.

more of the big market's media hubris. we're going to have to wait til the all-star break before they stop talking about us "falling out of the race."
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

C you there
    MLB ERA
    BS they need to also stop talking like Grieffey will even be going anywhere

With Pujols being out for up to 6 weeks the last thing the Reds are thinking about is a firesale right now...do these idiots realize we're only 3 games back of St. Louis and have a 3 game set starting tonight?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by homerun21
    With Pujols being out for up to 6 weeks the last thing the Reds are thinking about is a firesale right now...do these idiots realize we're only 3 games back of St. Louis and have a 3 game set starting tonight?
    Thats why most say IF we fall out of the race. If we could trade someone and get the pieces we need I wouldnt be against trading Dunn if it meant we would be serious contenders for the first time since 99.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Trade Dunn and a prospect for a #1 pitcher.
    rf28

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan28
    Trade Dunn and a prospect for a #1 pitcher.
    to who? and what prospect?

dunn's young and we have him under contract for 2 more years, we wouldn't want to get a pitcher that we'd only control for the rest of this year if we're giving him up. So that meanst that you're looking for a relatively young ace most likely, do you know any teams out there with young aces that are looking to deal them for adam dunn? unless you're talking about a good prospect and paying most of dunn's salary, i can't think of anyone who'd do that.

if we were willing to eat half of his salary, i bet we could get a package of prospects that would include someonewho could be a top of the rotation pitcher, but that might not be ready. but maybe not.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    NY and other big market writers think we are here to cause Christmas in July for the big market teams every year.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.