Thread: You Guys Talking Any Draft Over Here?

MLB ERA

You Guys Talking Any Draft Over Here?

Figured if anybody on the board would be knowledgeable about the draft it would be one of you guys. Anyway, who is number one on your board for the Reds? Kershaw is what I've heard a lot when the Reds are brought up, although Bard is supposedly climbing up some team's boards.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    On a BA chat recently, Callis said something about Drabek (yuck). I am hoping for Bard, a lot are thinking Marrow could fall to us which I am doubting. As usual, a lot of question marks, I am expecting a strong draft from Krivsky though.

MLB ERA
    Morrow may be going #4 to the Pirates, but he'll probably go to the Tigers at the latest. I doubt you guys draft Drabek, he is an absolute stud of a pitcher whose tool box is only rivaled by Lincecum's, but he is a high risk guy who carries the risk of pulling a Matt Bush due to the fact that he is a prima donna. I think Pittsburgh is the only team in the top ten seriously considering him and that is because of familty ties. Kershaw is the safer HS pitcher. Greg Reynolds ousted Morrow and Lincecum in back to back starts and is now considered a top ten pick so he may be someone to keep an eye for you guys.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Drabek (even though due to the talent) would be a guy I would feel happy taking as a comp. pick later on. I just do not like his profile at all. And at this point, I would be much happier with Reynolds over Kershaw. And it seems like Hochevar has risen on some people's personal lists recently, did he have a better showing recently or something?

MLB ERA
    He tore it up in his starts in the Independent league. Every scout there said his stuff is better now than it was a year ago. If he makes it to number 5 I expect (and pray) that he will be the M's pick.

The comp. picks are going to be intersting, there are a lot of signability questions in the first round so it is possible that the Drabek, Chamberlin, Kennedy, and even Bard's (or LaPorta and Sapp if there is a run on pitchers) of the world may slip into the sandwich picks and the 2nd round.

AAA ERA
    I know this sounds dumb, but what pick do we have in the draft anyways? I haven't heard to much about the draft lately.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    We have the 8th pick Griffeyfan, which as long as we don't mess it up, should land us a pretty a nifty pitcher.

i'm hoping that nifty pitcher is of the college variety, someone who could potentially make it to sarasota next year.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    That's what we're all hoping, sadly on some lists we're being projected at one of the high school arms (who knows how much that is a pick based off rumblings or just past trends though.)

i read BPs draft rules today, and their study found that it is no longer true that high school pitchers are riskier than college pitchers or HS position players, though college position players remain the least risky pick.

that said, i'm looking for someone who's close to the majors, since i think the reds are oging to be in position to make a run here soon. so it's more a timing issue than anything.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Well that and the fact that there are some really good arms to be had in the first ten picks, some of them looking to be close to sure bets.