Thread: Where are we now?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Where are we now?

We are two months into the season and we see that the Reds are still in contention. With the recent downpoor of lackluster offense, our team finds itself 4 games behind the NL Central leading Cardinals. The Cardinals may be looking at some dissapointing upcoming moments as their ace has just landed on the DL. Edmonds is on and off the DL as well as this team is being threatened with the chance at missed opportunity.

We all know that the Cubs are likely out of contention and there has been whisperings of a firesale. The Pirates have been out of it since the beginning of the season. So that leaves the Astros who may get Clemens back, the Brew Crew who have vastly improved this season, and the Cardinals who, as mentioned above, may see a decline due to injuries.

Most Reds fans have faith in Krivsky's ability to make the team better when needed. There has been a lot less computers smashed and newspapers burned since he took over as GM for the Reds. But do we have faith that he can pull a few more needed deals off when the time comes?

The most pressing issue for now may be in house. Denorfia is killing AAA ball right now with a .345 AVG. Quintin McCracken may look like a nice switch hitting option off of the bench, but we all know that Denorfia can and will o much better than what we have seen from Q. This move looks almost impossible to pass up and it should be made rapidly.

Krivsky has been rumored in looking at a few relief pitchers that could bolster the bullpen. This could only make things better at the end of the game and raise the chances for this team to hold a bigtime offense from pulling a Pujols. I think this is a pressing issue and I am happy to see that the possibility exist right now that we may get some bullpen help soon. A replacement of Rick White is something we can be excited about regardless of what happens.

But the issue of needing better SP is still at the forefront of need. Arroyo and Harang are definitely a good 1-2 punch. With Arroyo having one of the better ERAs in the NL and Harang in the top 10 in strikeouts, we have two guys that can win a lot of games. Milton looks like he came back strong after his injury which means big things if he can continue what he has shown he can do this year. The question marks in the rotation are Lizard and Claussen. We all had high hopes for Claussen but he has not delivered for the most part. Lizard has had a decent go at it so far but can we fully expect it to continue? If we got a big game winner to the top of the rotation to replace one of those two our chances would be as good as anyone. But how can that happen?

This thread is asking you, the Reds fan, what do we need to see from Krivsky and this team in order to keep us within reach of a playoff birth?

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I need to see a name pitcher come to the Reds. I don't necessarily mean Dontrelle Willis, but a name, possibly a big name.

I need to see some sort of commitment to fixing the defensive inabilities of this team. Bucky Dent just isn't getting it done.

I need to see some players, most notably Adam Dunn, quit swinging from his heels with runners in scoring position.
    rf28

the little things you mention redsr are right on, denorfia up to replace quinton (just saw denorfia in a game at pawtucket and he looked leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else in the game) and rick white out, replaced with either a trade, or someone from the minors.

i think wagner will get it straightened out, and grant balfour may help, and paul wilson might even help in the pen. so there's something to look forward to. if dunn and griffey can start getting hits again, we'll be in pretty good shape with just those few things.

as for adding a big name starter, i just don't know who's out there and available that i would want and be willing to pay the price for. i wouldn't want zito for what billy beane would ask for, that's for sure. i've heard some talk about kelvim escobar being available from the angels, and he might be a decent option depending on the price.

it's too early to tell really, but right now it looks like these teams might be out of it baring a 10 game streak or two sometime soon: KC, MIN, TB, BAL, WAS, CHN, PIT

with the understanding that teams that are out of it don't trade young starting pitching, who on those teams would you want? Kerry wood might be available but probably not to us, probably to a texas team since he has a no trade clause. PIT's good pitchers are too young for them to deal, Livan Hernandez has had a few decent starts ina row, but can't be seen as a true top of the rotation guy anymore, he'd be like adding another milton - sometimes good sometimes terrible.

Radke has a no trade clause and is basically terrible right now, and he's the only twin that might be availalbe besides carlos silva (demoted to bullpen) and kyle lohse (deomoted to minors) so there's no big name availalbe there. In the end, i just don't know what kind of deal there's going to be for the amazing krivsky to make in the end. Dontrelle is all the buzz, but all i hear is that he has some bad mechanics probalems right now, and that the marlins are going to ask for more than any team's top prospect regardless. would you give up more than homer bailey for a guy with a 5 ERA making a lot of money?

I suppose it wouldn't have to be that sort of deadline deal that gets us a big name, though those are obviously the most comon, since teams in contention rarely trade their big pitchers. matt clement is probably available from the sox since he's terrible right now, but maybe we'd hope for an arroyoesque turn around.

It should be interesting. Maybe it'll just be someone like Phil Dumatrait stepping up in the second half and surprising people.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford