Thread: Article on Miley's lineups (good one)

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Article on Miley's lineups (good one)

Junior rut has Miley in a pickle

By Paul Daugherty
    Enquirer staff writer

Saturday became the most recent day in which Ken Griffey Jr. failed to get a clutch hit in the ninth inning with two outs.

A batting order is never just a batting order. It's egos and comfort zones and routines and grooves. It's a manager's way of communicating without saying a word. It's the single most important thing he does.

From the day he started in Cincinnati, Dave Miley has juggled lineups like a circus act. Handed an unbalanced roster top-heavy with outfielders and players who are too much alike, Miley has made out the card like he was filling out a questionnaire for the IRS: Carefully, thoughtfully and, perhaps, a little on his heels. There have been enough injuries - and Miley has been good enough at playing hunches - that everyone has gotten the chance he deserved.

Not now.

At the moment, Miley is likely wondering, like the rest of us, when Ken Griffey Jr. is going to resume being Ken Griffey Jr. Or if. How long does Miley bat Griffey second, a spot that fits him like rollerblades on an elephant? How long does he bat him every day, anywhere?

Do you give a likely Hall of Famer a longer rope? Should a big contract dictate playing time? It's your job on the line, too. Between Thursday and Saturday, Griffey was 0-for-coming-through in the ninth inning of three consecutive close games. How long?

Griffey has shown immense dedication and character in his endless rehabs. A snapshot of the All-Century player remains in Miley's memory.

The homerless streak drags on, the strikeouts completely overwhelm the RBI and the Reds are scoring two runs a game.

Pine time is more acceptable when the team wins. The Reds are half-good at that. In the end, Miley has to clear-eye his way through it all, and put the best lineup on the field. Right now, this is it:

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...366/1071/SPT04

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Daugherty had a good plan IMO. He acknowledges the fact that Miley has not made the best lineup every day. He says that Griffey needs to drop in the order as well. And his lineup is very interesting. Thing is, I don't think I would bat Casey second. I would flip flop Casey and Dunn. Good article though. At least someone else is screaming at Miley's thoughts other than us.

MLB ERA
    I wouldnt bat Casey 2nd because he is a GIDP waiting to happen, as we have all seen this year. Him in the third spot and dunn in cleanup would be better cause granted he might hit DPs but Casey can do more of the little things to drive runners in and wont be completely lost on the base paths. And mark up another guy Pro Aurillia... Is there something in the water there in Ohio?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes