Thread: Womack up with Cubs

Womack up with Cubs

Lancaster is reporting that the Cubs have purchased Tony Womack's contract, so presumably he'll be up with them (and maybe starting at 2b) when the reds roll into town on monday.

There's not much good to be said about Womack (.222/.364./333), but he's better than Quinton McCracken (.200/.282/.314). It's not a major deal, it is the last guy on the roster, but you have to wonder why we'd want the worse of two evils.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Womack was the evil of Bowden, that's why. IF you notice about the housecleaning, nearly all of it is stuff from the previous regime. Also, why do the Cubs seem to be there to pick up our trash? Jimmy Anderson and Tony Womack.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I agree that Q needs to go. I think he will be the odd manout once Wilson comes back. How close is Wilson anyways? Anyone heard anything on him lately?

And I am not too sure the Cubs have much of a chance at contention anymore this season. Another tough break season for them. So if Womack works out for them, then I am happy for Womack. I am sure he is trying real hard to get the back of that baseball card looking better. LOL.

don't forget Dumpster too. yeah, i understand they're clearing out all of DanO's moves, which is fine by me, i just wish they'd do it in a slightly more intelligent way.

Get rid of tony womack, but replace him with ross or denorfia, not mccracken.

Get rid of williams, but option him to Louisville and trade him at the deadline if you can get him back on track, rather than rushing to get an undrafted free agent.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    I think Krivsky was thinking we had Phillips, Freel and Aurilia who could all play 2B, while he felt the outfield situation was a bit more sketchy with Griffey's injury issues. Now I would definitely want Denorfia up over McCracken, but they seem to be content on letting Denorfia get AB at AAA for some reason right now.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    That's the whole point about Denorfia. It won't do him any good to be up here as a part time player/fill-in when he could be down in AAA, seeing pitches, and developing.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    I just don't know if he has much more "developing" to do. It's time for the team to either try to trade him or trade another outfielder, because he has pretty much proven himself in AAA as much as one player can. It's time to either be convinced he won't be another Brandon Larson(I don't think he will be by any stretch of the imagination) or try to trade him to another team with the selling point of "potentially good hitting and very good defensive outfielder."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

i agree with CRF here, shouldn't our goal be to have the best team we can at the major league level? Denorfia is maybe better than most 4th outfielders, but he's never going to be a super star, so why treat him like he was our #1 draft pick?

I think he's a late drafted guy who's surprised a lot of people and that we should be thankful that he's there for us to use, rather than trying to save him for some later date. He's pretty much past his prospect years, he's 26 now right? This is his "prime", and i'd rather him get 200 ABs for us at the big league level than 600 at AAA.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Yeah, exactly how I feel on this issue. No doubt.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I fully agree with you guys as well. He is far past ready to leave the minors for good and should be our 4th outfielder right now.

I wonder if Krivsky sees the potential in Denorfia enough to make something happen here. He obviously has been concentrating on the Ross and Williams deals the last few days, but a swap between Deno and Q has to happen soon.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I just don't like the idea of him sitting on the bench. I'd rather see him in the everyday lineup, which means a trade of some sort.
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I wonder what kind of trade value he has though. I dont think he is a coveted spect at all and we would get far less than his value as people do not know much about him. Then again, he did get minor league player of the year for us last year. But our system was/is crap so it may no be saying much.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I'm not saying trade him. I'm saying either trade or move a player or two(cough: Dunn :cough) (cough: Griffey :cough). I think he has more value as a Red than he would in a trade.
    rf28

AAA ERA
    Man, Womack is pretty much killing the ball for the Cubbies. Last time i heard he was something like 8-11 or somewereabouts.

MLB ERA
    He's still Tony Womack.

He will likely regress to the mean soon enough. Nothing in his career indicates otherwise.