Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Dave Williams traded to the Mets:

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Witlon
    DFAing removes them from the the 40 man roster, and you get 10 days to trade, cut or let them clear waivers, so they can be sent to the minors without being on the 40 man.

Errr...that's what I've got from it. anyway.
    It wasn't about removing him from the 40 man, because all the Reds had to do was recall a pitcher who was on the 40 man to the majors. It was due to the fact that Williams had enough service time to refuse an assignment to the minors.
    rf28

Marc Lancaster reports:

"Every list I've seen this year said he had an option remaining, so perhaps the Reds just want to get rid of him."

He had an option left this year and they could have optioned him to AAA without DFAing him but he would have remained on the 40 man roster. As marc states, they wanted him gone, and off the 40 man, so the DFA'd him instead.

Also, he only has 4 years of service time (check espn and the baseball cube for that), so even if they had outrighted him after DFAing him, he couldn't have refused and still made his money. But all that is a moot point because they could have optioned him.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan28
    It wasn't about removing him from the 40 man, because all the Reds had to do was recall a pitcher who was on the 40 man to the majors. It was due to the fact that Williams had enough service time to refuse an assignment to the minors.
    no, you're just confused. It is confusing, but you have to understand that first off, they didn't have to "assign" him to the minors because they could still "option" him, which is different. Secondly, you're off on his service time, and he couldn't have refused an "assignment" if they had tried to, which again, they didn't have to.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I still don't think that he had an option left. Otherwise they would have kept him, unless he did something that the organization didn't care for.
    rf28

Quote Originally Posted by redsfan28
    I still don't think that he had an option left. Otherwise they would have kept him, unless he did something that the organization didn't care for.
    fine think whatever you want, even when you are obviously confused and won't admit it, but i'll just add that it makes it tough to have a conversation when one person refuses to acknowledge facts. To clear all this up for other people on the board who may still value facts:

Code:
    A player has three years after he is added to the 40-man 
    roster in which he can be sent to the minors without being 
    removed from the roster, these are option years. An option 
    is used every year such a player is sent down unless the 
    player remains in the minors for less than 10 days in each 
    stint. A player "out-of-options" has exhausted his option years.
    dave williams was first added to a 40 man roster in 2001 when he played in AA, AAA, and MLB, not an option year. In 2002 he played only in MLB, not an option year, three left. In 2003 he was on the 40 man but played in the minors, so that's one down. Same for 2004, where he played in the minors and MLB, so that's 2 down. In 2005 he played only in MLB, so no option was used, and thus:

Dave williams has an option remaining, as everyone has already reported.

The reds could have optioned him to the minors, but chose not to.
    Reds MVP Race

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Check this out fellas:

I am going to open up a new all out get it out in the open thread that will be erased when all is said and done. Us Reds fans have been at eachothers necks for the past month and it is getting irritating. I hate to act like the mediator of all this but it is needed. So go check out the thread and lets just talk about the Williams deal in this one.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12