Thread: Lack of clutch hitting still dogs Reds

MLB ERA

Lack of clutch hitting still dogs Reds

Lack of clutch hitting still dogs Reds

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

MIAMI | The media vacated Dave Miley's office after Sunday's 2-1 victory over the Florida Marlins and the Cincinnati Reds manager exhaled loudly.

"I'm glad nobody asked me about runners in scoring position," he said. "I'm getting tired of talking about it day after day after day."

It wasn't asked, probably, because the Reds won the game, expunging a three-game losing streak.

But, uh, Mr. Miley, your team was 1 for 11 with runners in scoring position. They are 5 for 50 (.100) over the last five games and have stranded 50 runners while scoring 14 runs in those five games.

"I know, I know," Miley said. "We have to do better. It is tough to try things, like steals and hit-and-runs. We have a bunch of power guys, big swingers, who swing-and-miss a lot.

"But this is a good hitting team and we'll come out of it," he said. "We've faced a lot of good pitching and we're not hitting the way we should, but we're holding our own (9-9), so that's a plus."

He's 'Dr.' McKeon

Florida manager Jack McKeon has some nameplates printed, waiting to affix them on his office door. They read, "Dr. McKeon."

Next month, Barry University of North Miami will award McKeon an honorary doctorate degree, "Probably a doctorate in cigar smoking," he said.

Rehab for Ortiz

Ramon Ortiz comes off the disabled list Sunday and faces the Milwaukee Brewers . . . well, that's the grand plan.

After throwing on the side Sunday in Dolphin Stadium, Ortiz left the team for his native Dominican Republic to visit his mother, Amalina Almonte Ortiz. Her mother, Ortiz's grandmother, died last week, "And my father died last year, so it has been tough on my mother."

On Tuesday, Ortiz will pitch on rehabilitation for the Class A Sarasota Reds against the Tampa Yankees. Originally, Ortiz was to pitch in Louisville, but that was scratched due to a bad weather forecast.

He has missed four starts with a strained groin.

Wily Mo Cerrano

Wily Mo Pena pumped furiously on a stationary clubhouse bike before Sunday's game to test the stiffness he encountered in the second inning of Saturday's game.

"I felt it running it first base (on a single), a couple of steps before I got to the bag," said Pena. He wasn't in Sunday's lineup, "But I think I can play (in Chicago tonight)."

The Reds were watching the movie Major League before Saturday's game when Pedro Cerrano, the fictional hulk of an outfielder, appeared.

"There he is, Wily Mo Pena," Ken Griffey Jr. said "Looks just like him. Where's Jobu?"

When Pena had at least one extra-base hit in each of his first nine starts, it was something no National League hitter did at any point all last season.

Off to Chicago

The Reds move from sunshine to Lake Michigan cold when they open a three-game series tonight in Wrigley Field against the Chicago Cubs.

Paul Wilson (1-1, 5.63) draws Mark Prior (2-0, 0.00) tonight, then Eric Milton (2-2, 4.98) faces Carlos Zambrano (2-0, 3.04) Tuesday night and Aaron Harang (1-1, 3.70) is up against Ryan Dempster (1-3, 4.57) Wednesday afternoon.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Miley has a point; we have faced so many tough pitchers and we still have a .500 record. We beat Moehler and now have to face Prior, Zambrano, and then a not so bad one in Dempster. So it will once again be tough to win a series.

Griffey is hilarious man. Now I have to watch that movie.

AAA ERA
    yea its crazy how many future hall of famers we have already faced. this year.