Notes: Wilson a veteran now
04/24/2005 2:18 PM ET
By Charlie Nobles / Special to MLB.com

MIAMI -- Paul Wilson figures it took him longer than most to understand how to pitch in the Major Leagues. At least the Reds right-hander knows he's using the correct approach now. At one time, he thought he'd never get it right.

"I remember it being a lot harder when I was with the Mets," said Wilson, who was drafted in the first round by the Mets out of Florida State University in 1994. "It's hard now, but it's doable. Before, it didn't seem doable."

Wilson rose quickly through the Mets' Minor League system and found himself in the Major Leagues as a 23-year-old in 1996. In retrospect, he realizes now he wasn't ready to be there. Wilson went 5-12 that season, had offseason arm surgery and never pitched again for the Mets.

"Because you're a good baseball player doesn't mean you're going to be a good Major Leaguer," Wilson said. "The fact that you don't know anything about the Major Leagues, how to act as a professional, how to prepare yourself as a professional -- that all plays into whether you succeed or not."

Wilson, now 32 and in his third season with the Reds, discovered over time the significance of the mental aspect of the game.

"The mental side is just as important, if not more important, than the physical side," he said. "And it's harder to deal with. I didn't know how demanding the game could be mentally."

Wilson said he would always dwell too long on his last start, savoring the good ones and agonizing over the bad ones. Rookie pitcher Matt Belisle told him recently that he was doing the same thing, and Wilson gave him the advice he has learned only with time.

"The idea is to not think you're so bad when things don't work out so good, and not so good when things go well," Wilson said. "And whatever happens, put it behind you quickly and move on to the next start. When I give up a lot of hits now, I just think, 'Hey, I'm not as bad as that. I'm going to do better next time.' Conversely, when I have a good game, I'm thinking, 'I'm not that good. I've got some work to do.' There's a mindset you learn over time."

Wilson has resurrected his career in the process. He is 20-17 in two-plus seasons with the Reds, winning seven straight during one stretch last season. Wilson's Mets days are far back in the rearview mirror now.

"It isn't easy playing in New York," he said. "But I didn't make it easy on myself. I tried too hard, didn't trust too much of anything. I don't blame anybody else but myself. I'm a big boy and I'm responsible for everything I do. It just took me longer than some to understand how to be a big leaguer."

McKeon throws bouquets toward Casey: Marlins Manager Jack McKeon, who gave Reds first baseman Sean Casey his Major League break when McKeon managed the Reds in 1998, said Casey is well on his way toward immortality in Cincinnati.

"If he stays there a few more years, he'll be the most popular player in Cincinnati outside of Pete Rose," McKeon said, adding that Casey is his favorite player outside of his own clubhouse.

Casey felt humbled by McKeon's praise, saying McKeon has been the most influential person to him in his career.

McKeon also alluded to Casey's gregarious behavior on the baseball field. McKeon understands that Casey never saw a baserunner he didn't want to engage in conversation.

Said McKeon with a smile, "If you gave him an hour to go through the stands, he'd know everybody's name."

Responded Casey, "I'd probably know a few of them."

Casey said he's enjoyed talking to opposing players at first base "probably since Little League." It's a habit he doesn't intend to break.

"I've always found that it keeps the game going," he said. "I enjoy talking to guys about different things."

Casey is so friendly, Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett swears that Casey nodded at him Wednesday night as he stepped into the batter's box, as if to say, "How you been?" The story told most often about Casey's predilection for conversation at first base came in 1998, when Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa were in their celebrated home run competition. As a rookie, Casey looked up to McGwire and couldn't wait to talk to him after he was intentionally walked. But then he heard McKeon yelling at him from the dugout to move behind the bag, since McGwire posed no steal threat.

"I was fired up, but before I could even say hi, Jack was yelling at me to move back," Casey said, adding that McGwire made his day when he acknowledged him by name as he was moving back. But then McGwire received another intentional walk, which emboldened Casey.

"I thought, all right, I'm not even going to look over at Jack," he said. "I get a conversation going and I'm thinking this is one of the coolest moments of my life. I'm thinking if I never play another day in the big leagues, I can tell my kids about this. As I'm having those thoughts, Jack is just airing me out from the dugout. At some point, McGwire tells me, 'Hey, Case. I think they want you in the dugout.' I look over and Jack is beside himself. Actually the whole team was, by that time."

Reds report: Right-handed pitcher Ramon Ortiz, who has been out with a strained groin, threw on the side Sunday and pronounced himself ready for a Minor League start on Tuesday. It was originally scheduled to be in Louisville, but with bad weather expected, the site was moved to Sarasota. "I'm very excited. I'm ready to pitch," said Ortiz, who left later Sunday to visit his mother in the Dominican Republic. Ortiz is hopeful now of being able to start for the Reds on Sunday in Milwaukee. Manager Dave Miley didn't seem so sure. "We'll see how he does Tuesday, without committing ourselves one way or the other," he said. ... Wily Mo Pena, whose left quadriceps muscle tightened on him in Saturday's game, forcing him to leave, was not in Sunday's starting lineup. However, Miley said he could be used as a pinch-hitter if needed. Pena leads the Reds in home runs with five. ... Ryan Freel, who went 3-for-5 on Saturday, got the start at second base Sunday for the slumping D'Angelo Jimenez. Freel, who had 37 stolen bases last season, got his first of the season in the game.

On the farm: Triple-A Louisville received 5 1/3 innings of one-run, three-hit pitching from lefty Randy Keisler in its 3-1 victory over Columbus. Third baseman Pelaez went 3-for-4. ... Double-A Chattanooga lost to Jacksonville, 8-6, though second baseman Kevin Howard went 3-for-4 with a pair of RBIs. ... Class A Dayton fell to Quad Cities, 8-5, despite a pair of 3-for-5 nights from catcher Craig Tatum and right fielder Drew Anderson. ... Sarasota, also in Class A, thumped Clearwater, 6-1. Brock Till allowed just three hits over five shutout innings for the victory. Designated hitter Walter Olmstead went 3-for-4 with 2 RBIs.

On deck: The Reds head to Chicago for a three-game series against the Cubs. Paul Wilson (1-1, 5.63) will start for the Reds against Mark Prior (2-0, 0.00) in the 7:05 p.m. CT opener on Monday.