Thread: Ask Hal: Should the team sit Dunn? (LOL)

MLB ERA

Ask Hal: Should the team sit Dunn? (LOL)

Ask Hal: What is a quality start for a pitcher?

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

QUESTION — I know Dave from Centerville doesn't like anybody, but has a particular antipathy for Barry Larkin. To the best of my rather baseball knowledge Larkin has always been an upstanding player, a gentleman on and off the field, a leader in the clubhouse and his stats speak for themselves. — Megan, Oxford, Oh.

ANSWER — Don't use big words like antipathy on Dave. They're wasted. And you describe Barry Larkin perfectly and maybe you can give his Hall of Fame introduction. What do you think, Dave?

Q — In five years if the baseball Hall of Fame induction is on April Fools Day then Barry Larkin has a chance because only a fool would vote for him. — Dave, Centerville (???).

A — Dave, Dave, Dave. I've done some investigative reporting and discovered you don't live in Centerville. You live in Beavercreek, right? Are you in the Witness Protection Program? As for Barry Larkin, color me a fool. Check the numbers of Hall of Fame shortstops Phil Rizzuto, PeeWee Reese, Luis Aparicio and Ozzie Smith, then get back to me (in about 10 years). Larkin is on my ballot. . .first vote.

Q — A quality start is six innings of three runs or less., three runs or less. If a pitcher gives up three runs in six innings, then leaves the game in the seventh with four earned runs, is that still a quality start? — Ted, Newburgh, Ind.

A — My good friend John Lowe of the Detroit Free Press invented the quality start statistic and it is a firm three runs or less and at least six innings. Once your pitcher gave up that fourth run, he no longer had a quality start. To me, it is far too lenient. Giving up three runs in six innings is a 4.50 earned run average. Ugh. That's an earned run very average. I say a quality start should be one run or less over six innings. That's a 1.50 earned run average and that's quality with a capital 'Q.'

Q — How is Austin Kearns handling his bench time recently and don't you think Ryan Freel is a better option at second base and D'Angelo Jimenez better as a part-time player? — James, Dayton.

A — Kearns is fine. He is a team guy, not a me, me, me guy. He knows he'll get his chance and it is up to him not to fumble it. As for Freel, I said it before the season began. He is a better leadoff hitter, a better defensive player, a better hustler. The answer to this one is m-o-n-e-y. Jimenez makes $3 million and they aren't going to waste $3 million on the bench. My question? Do they want to win or save face?

Q — How many more times does Danny Graves have to flirt with disaster in the ninth inning before manager Dave Miley hands the ball to Ryan Wagner to close games? — Andy, Westerville, Oh.

A — Easy answer. Every time there is a save situation. Yes, Graves scares Wily Mo Pena's hair straight, but entering the weekend he was six for six in save situations to lead the National League and also had a win. In closer talk, it is results, results, results. Hey, Graves admits it. He frightens himself.

Q — A baseball swing is a lot like a golf swing. It needs to be grooved in order for it to be at it's best. But Ken Griffey Jr. doesn't have old Jr. power anymore. Am I in panic mode or do you see the same thing. — Matt, Dayton.

A — Somebody once said I had a pretty golf swing, but I couldn't hit the fairways if they were as wide as Idaho. Nobody, and I mean nooo-body, has a prettier or more grooved swing than Griffey. Wager time. If he stays healthy and doesn't hit 30 homers, I'll eat this column on Courthouse Square. You bring the ketchup.

Q — Back in the olden days of the Big Red Machine, when it seemed teams carried 10 pitchers. Now the standard number seems to be 12. With athletes

better conditioned than ever, why are pitchers good for fewer innings? — Alan, Springfield.

A — Olden days? The Big Red Machine? If that's the olden days (I think they had cars in 1975-76, and they didn't have rumble seats or running boards), then I'm ancient. All those guys are alive and well. Anyway, it is the age of specialization. They only expect five or six innings from the starters, then you have long-relief, middle-relief, setup-relief, closing-relief and relief-relief. I cringe when I hear managers say of his starting pitcher after he gives up four or five runs in five innings, "He battled and gave us a chance to win." About battling through nine shutout innings a time or two?

Q — Wily Mo Pena is the star of the outfield pack and IF they have to pick one to sit it should be Adam Dunn. Even with all of the work he is still Mr. K. and I don't think he'll ever get over that. — Roy, Kettering.

A — If you have noticed, Wily Mo is in the lineup every day. Manager Dave Miley has this philosophy: "Hit and thou shalt play. . .often." Couldn't disagree more on Dunn. Yes, he strikes out and will strike out again and again and again. So will Wily Mo. And right now Pena is a defensive liability, but as long as he wrecks pitching staffs, he'll play. All will play. Miley is sticking to his stated pre-season plan, "We'll get them all playing time."

Q — In your response to the guy from Florida, you said that the similarities ended with the name Dave. You said one knew nothing about baseball (Dave from Centerville???) and the other Dave (Miley, the manager) knew everything. I like Dave Miley but his managerial skills are really suspect. — Rick, Centerville.

A — Are you really from Centerville, Rick? You gave me no "fer instances" on Miley's managing. He is handling the outfield brouhaha magnificently. He is handling the pitchers magnificently. He is handling his meager bench magnificently. He gets the starters out in the nick of time. OK, so he wears that infernal jacket at all times, even when it's 80 degrees, but maybe he is trying to hide from critics with no specifics.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Q — Wily Mo Pena is the star of the outfield pack and IF they have to pick one to sit it should be Adam Dunn. Even with all of the work he is still Mr. K. and I don't think he'll ever get over that. — Roy, Kettering.
    You are an idiot sir. Do people not realize that Pena K's just as much as Dunn, but Dunn actually walks about 80 more times a year?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn#44
    You are an idiot sir. Do people not realize that Pena K's just as much as Dunn, but Dunn actually walks about 80 more times a year?
    Obviously he doesn't have a clue.

As you can see, Hal pretty much said the same thing.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

It's sad really. The person who should be sitting is a 35 year old injury pron double degit million.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Wager time. If he stays healthy and doesn't hit 30 homers, I'll eat this column on Courthouse Square. You bring the ketchup.
    i kekeled
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]