Thread: could be good, could be bad

could be good, could be bad

from espn:

The Phillies are set to purchase the contract of left-hander Cole Hamels, who will make his major-league debut Friday night in Cincinnati, general manager Pat Gillick announced Wednesday.

To make room for Hamels in the rotation, right-hander Ryan Madson will return to the bullpen, where he went 15-8 with a 2.94 ERA in 130 appearances from 2003-05. The Phillies will also make a roster move before Friday's game to make room for Hamels on the 25-man roster.

Hamels, who spent time this season in both Class A Clearwater and Triple-A Scranton/Wilkes-Barre, is 3-1 with a 1.04 ERA in seven starts. He has 65 strikeouts in 43 1/3 innings.

In 35 minor-league starts overall, he was 14-4 with a 1.43 ERA and allowed only two homers with 273 strikeouts in 195 1/3 innings pitched.

The Phillies originally selected Hamels in the first round (17th overall) of the 2002 draft.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    No matter the outcome for us, I am pretty excited to see Hamels seeing that I've missed out on the debut games for the last few big pitching prospects making their debut.

MLB ERA
    There's pretty much no way it can be good. When Hamels is healthy, he's a complete stud, and already way better than any other Phillies starter. Double-digit strikeouts are likely.

MLB ERA
    On the bright side, he'll be going against Fatass Dave Williams, and that's an automatic loss anyways.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    A matchup of what not to target in a pitcher and what to target. I'll try to forget who I root for on that night so I can enjoy Hammels performance a bit more. Heh.

has anyone seen anything on williams maybe being removed from the rotation? I know w few weeks ago narron said something like "this can't continue," but then he had that one barely decent start, and it seemed like all that talk went away.

I guess we'll probably have to wait for milton to get back and hope he's the milton we saw in the first 2 games. if the lizard is still pitching decent games, it would have to be williams that gets the axe.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Well, Narron is an idiot, so I wouldn't really count on Williams coming out of the rotation anytime soon. I'd prefer pretty much anyone (Germano, etc.) over him. He has NO out pitch right now at all.

That Phillies series isn't looking promising at all right now. They are pretty tough to beat lately.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

lancaster is now saying that the reds have switched the lizard and williams for the first two games of that series.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    I wouldn't say that improves our chances much. Hamels has been ridiculously dominant at every level he's pitched at, but he's been unable to stay healthy because he's a wee bit crazy. Prior to this year, he gave up 88 hits in 152 innings. That's 5.21 hits per nine innings. And he's taken his game up another notch this year, improving on the one shaky aspect of his game, his control. Unless he gets really freaked out about coming to the majors, I think he's got a very good shot at owning the Reds, along with every other team he comes across. Think Zach Duke with vastly improved stuff and that's what we could see this year.

AA ERA
    Think Zach Duke with vastly improved stuff and that's what we could see this year.
    Ohh yeah, Hamels has all the talent to be all that and a lifetime supply of potato chips.
    "They asked me if I wanted the ball in Game 6, and I said yes. I'll always say yes. That's what I did with Jack McKeon. I told him, 'Let me see how I feel tomorrow.' I went out, did a long toss, came in and said, 'I'll pitch, I want it, I want to do it.' And it ended up working out." -Josh Beckett

I don't think he'll be dominant in his first start. I'm thinking 5-6 innings, 2 or 3 runs would be a good bet.

MLB ERA
    I'm thinking 6 innings, 3 hits, 1 R, 3 BB, 9 K.

His changeup is mad ridiculous.

pray for rain? or butterflies i guess. a walk, a HBP, and an elevated fastball can make a great outing look not so good in a hurry with our lineup.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    I can't help but think back to all the rookies the Reds have faced over the last couple of years and just how awful we've done against them.

Saw this on redreporter.com about Hamels:

He has a low 90's fastball that touches 94 and apparently is located well w/ good movement. His change up is DEVASTATING. From BA- It sinks and fades away from righties and may be the best in the minor leagues. It'll be one of the top 3-4 change's in the league right now. His curve is also a plus pitch. He has a great feel for pitching, very polished, and I've heard people say that he has a deceptive delivery to go along with his 3 plus pitches. He's a really, really good pitcher.