Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rotation moves?

Rotation moves?

most of the press out there (not that they know anything since they all predicted the reds were going to be worse than the pirates) seem to think the reds will need a new starting pitcher to make the playoffs this year.

Is this true? Thoughts to consider:

Milton threw two great starts before his injured debacle. will he return to above average form?

Is paul wilson a major league pitcher anymore, and if so, does he improve the rotation over someone like Williams?

Can williams put up leage average innings, or is he a total bust?

Is the Lizard for real? under the tutilage of soto in AAA and arroyo in the bigs, can he put up the 3.50 ERA he had in the minors?

Will someone from AAA or AA (like PHil Dumatrait) be called up, and if so will they have an impact on the staff or be more cannon fodder?

Based on your thoughts on the previous questions and any others you might come up with, will the reds Need another starter?

If so, who will be available at the deadline?

Who will be worth going after?
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    The Reds need about three starters and three bullpen arms.

brilliant analysis. Really well thought out points.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    I don't think you're qualified to tell brilliant analysis. Perhaps "head firmly stuck up ass" analysis, but not brilliant analysis.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I honestly think Milton came back strong and he was for real until he got hurt. He was the guy we were wanting to see him be last season. But now that he is injured and it being a leg injury, I do not think he will come back as strong as we would hope.

I think Castellinni has a whole lot of faith in Wilson. So he will definitely get every opportunity to make something happen. I think he will start off on a bad foot, but will make a go of it after the All-Star break.

Williams may be able to put up league average innings, but I don't think he is going to get much more of a chance once Milton and Wilson are back. Williams may have to start looking into a relief role soon.

I don't think the Lizard is for real either. It seems like we can usually get a good few starts from a pitcher when they are called up and then they are done. I think he is a perfect example of a AAAA pitcher.

Phil Dumatrait is the perfect guy to look at as someone that could come up and get it done. He had an excellent season last year and has continued in that same mold this season.

Based on these thoughts, here is what I see as our rotation for the majority of the rest of the season:

Arroyo
    Harang
    Milton
    Claussen
    Wilson

I think Wilson may climb his way up to the third spot, but that is only because Milton may struggle due to his bad legs. But unless Claussen can get a little better or Milton can surprise me and come back just as strong as he was early in the season, we may have a bad bottom three in the rotation. If that is the case, we may have to look at getting another Arroyo or harang type pitcher to seal any doubts on our rotation. If another injury occurs, Dumatrait is a good option and Belisle may be equally as good an option.

My pitching depth chart:

SP:
    Arroyo
    Harang
    Milton
    Claussen
    Wilson
    Ramirez
    Belisle
    Dumatrait
    Williams
    Germano

So there is definite room for improvement and room for us to throw a few of those guys in the pen and get Hammond and White out of there if need be.

Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    I don't think you're qualified to tell brilliant analysis. Perhaps "head firmly stuck up ass" analysis, but not brilliant analysis.
    thanks for clearing that up, man i was confused. you're so great! i really appreciate all you bring to this board, with that sharp as a tack wit of yours.
    Reds MVP Race

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Personally, based on what I have seen with Dumatrait and the reports I've read, I think he has the chance to be a surprise type player. One who will exceed his predictions given the proper development.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    thanks for clearing that up, man i was confused. you're so great! i really appreciate all you bring to this board, with that sharp as a tack wit of yours.
    He's eternally grouchy after someone told him Keira Knightly's got a penis.
    Marshall: MILSWANCAs?
    Ted
    : Wait, I can get this. Mothers I'd like to sleep with and never call again.
    Barney: Circle gets the square!

The 2074 MSL NL Gold Glove Recipient at Third Base.

MLB ERA
    I think I bring considerably more to the table than you do. There's no other explanation for why I continually destroy you in every argument we have.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    why are their arguments in the first place?

MLB ERA
    Because Wally Mo has an amazing tendency to always be wrong.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    well I can guarantee you something Geki. You are wrong in that statement. Does that mean I should argue with you?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    I think I bring considerably more to the table than you do. There's no other explanation for why I continually destroy you in every argument we have.
    Wally Mos argument dont carry water but yet your childish name calling is considered "bring considerably more to the table"? You need to be more clear about that.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

AAA ERA
    I think they need another pitcher better than everyone we have other than Arroyo and maybe Harang.. Claussen has done well, Milton well who knows if his first two outings are for real, even Dave Williams has had a good outing, Ramirez is not a Major League starter he has been lucky. unfortunately i don't think it will happen, i think the team is waiting on Wilson, and it will be up to Wilson if he is the same guy we saw last year or the guy who did well for us two years ago

MLB ERA
    Anything we get out of Wilson is icing on the cake IMO. Hes getting old and is having elbow stiffness thats pushing him back on the road to recovery. I highly doubt he is anything more than a middle relief guy now. He should be able to get people out but I just doubt he will continually be able to go 6-7 IP.

IMO the only "locks" in the rotation are Harang and Arroyo. Claussen would be next but he's had occasions where he's been a bit wild or hittable.

Doug, Dan, Joe, I mean Dave Williams needs to be pulled from the rotation IMMEDIATELY when Milton comes back (if not SOONER!!!), as bad as Milton was last year hes been much improved and keeping the ball down (with the exception being his last start) where as the exact opposite is true for Williams vs AAA equivilant Pittsburgh Pirates lineup. If we get someone I would keep Ramirez in the Majors and DFA one of the old guys.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast