Thread: Ask Hal: Covering major league baseball: Priceless

MLB ERA

Ask Hal: Covering major league baseball: Priceless

Covering major league baseball: Priceless

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

Question: What is it like to stand in a room with 25 guys who all make more money than you do? — Dave, Miamisburg/Centerville/Beavercreek

Answer: Do you know how much money I make? OK, I confess. I don't make as much as any of them, not even those making the major-league minimum ($330,000). I'll guarantee you, though, I have more fun than the average bear. I love baseball, I love to write and I love to travel. I get paid to do all three. And I only have to face Greg Maddux with a pen, not a bat.

Q: With some of the recent games you've covered, wouldn't you like to get paid by the number of pitches in a game instead of the number of articles you write? — Bill, Villa Hills, Ky.

A: I'd like to get paid for the number of bad meals eaten in pressboxes, number of home runs hit in Great American Ball Park, number of miles traveled in a year, number of times baseball players say, "Know what I'm saying." You know what I'm saying?

Q: While Bronson Arroyo was pitching his one-hitter in Washington last week, I was watching the Cubs-Marlins on WGN and announcer Bob Brenly complimented Arroyo but said, "Wait until he goes around the league a second time before we judge how good he is." True? — Mike, Florence, Ky.

A: Brenly needs to check his scorebook. He was in the booth when Arroyo beat the Cubs this year twice in less than a week. Of course, Brenly might be right. It was the Cubs.

Q: Shouldn't the Reds be trying to sign Bronson Arroyo to a long-term deal right now? Of course, that's assuming he wants to come back. — Michael, Wilmington, N.C.

A: And that's the big assumption one shouldn't make. Arroyo left Boston kicking and screaming. Because he was traded in the midst of a long-term contract, he has the option of becoming a free agent after the season. If he continues to have a monster year the Red Sox might offer him millions and the deed to The Old Church and Kenmore Square. He hasn't sold his new house in Boston, either.

Q: How would you compare hot dog gluttony to steroids and betting on baseball? To me, The Babe stays and Barry Bonds rooms with Pete Rose in baseball history. — Thomas, Kettering

A: You have to add an excessive love of bootleg whiskey and a legendary reputation for forbidden women to go with those hot dogs when you talk about Babe Ruth. (Did you know he struck out Ty Cobb nine times when he was a pitcher?). But I'm with you on this one. The Babe saved the game after the 1919 Chicago White Sox scandal. The other two have done too much harm.

Q: Are the recliner chairs back in the Reds clubhouse and do they make a difference? — Bill, Dayton

A: Adam Dunn and Ken Griffey Jr. had large black massage chairs near their lockers during Dave Miley's regime and he had them removed, although it is suspected the order came from then-general manager Dan O'Brien. No, the chairs have not returned, meaning that the chairs are gone, Miley is gone and O'Brien is gone. Maybe they took them with them. Did they make a difference? Yeah, my back doesn't feel as good during games as it did after I sneaked a few rides in Dunn's chair.

Q: Do you think Greg Maddux can pitch long enough to match the 363 wins of Warren Spahn? Don't arms wear out quickly after 40? — Tom, Kettering

A Some arms wear out at 25. Ask the Cincinnati Reds. In Maddux's case, the way he takes care of himself, the way he has perfect mechanics, the way he doesn't throw hard, the way he doesn't waste pitches, to heck with Warren Spahn. How about Cy Young's 511 victories? Maddux could become baseball's first Senior Citizen pitcher.

Q: How about bringing back Jeff Shaw to close for the Cincinnati Reds? This makes so much sense I may call general manager Wayne Krivsky myself. — Mark, Rockton, Ill.

A: True, Jeff Shaw is only 39 and had 203 saves in 12 years, but he hasn't pitched in five years and he happily retired back to Washington Court House, where the only pitching he probably does is batting practice to his kids. On some nights, though, when you see what you see on a baseball field, Shaw could do no worse.

Q: If a relief pitcher comes into a game and blows a save, does he also get the loss? — Patrick, Dayton

A: If he starts the ninth inning and his team leads and he loses the game, yes, he gets a blown save and the loss. Who says there is no double jeopardy? But if the previous pitcher puts the tying and winning runs on base and the next pitcher in the inning gives up a game-winning hit, the previous pitcher gets the loss because he put the winning run on base and the last pitcher gets the blown save. Spread the wealth.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

MLB ERA
    For the record, Arroyo doesn't have the time in the majors required to exercise that free agent option mentioned, so that isn't a concern.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.