Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Report: Reds acquire Cody Ross

MLB ERA

Report: Reds acquire Cody Ross

From the Reds site:

Something cooking? The Reds could be close to executing another trade. Reports out of Los Angeles said Cincinnati was close to a deal where it would acquire outfielder Cody Ross from the Dodgers. It's not known yet who Cincinnati would be giving up in return. Despite batting .500 (7-for-14) with two homers and nine RBIs in eight games, Ross was designated for assignment on April 17 in a roster crunch and Los Angeles has 10 days to trade or release him before it would have to expose him to the waiver wire.

Krivsky would not confirm that any deal has been made.

"If I had something to announce, we would announce it," Krivsky said from Cincinnati. "I can't comment on another club's player."

If the Reds were to acquire Ross, who is out of options, they would have to make room on their 25-man roster. In 28 big-league games with the Dodgers and Detroit from 2003-06, Ross has hit .259 with three homers and 15 RBIs.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I've liked Ross in the past, but why? Please, let's not trade Kearns just when he is finally starting to realize his potential.

MLB ERA
    You have to think if this deal goes through something else can't be far behind, as Griffey is due back off the DL on Friday. There is no way they can keep Ross and McCracken around.

I think Krivsky must be acquiring all of these extra players to help make some major moves involving pitching later on in the year and/or next offseason.

All signs are pointing in that direction.

I also think Tony Womack's time with the Reds might be close to ending. I think that will happen when Griffey gets back.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Has to be.

Dunn
    Kearns
    Griffey
    Denorfia
    Ross (if added)
    Freel

That's a ton of depth. Let's just hope that Dunn and Kearns are the ones kept.

MLB ERA
    I Dont think you can trade Dunn or Kearns now. You just started making the financial investment into good younger pitchers to try and help this offense and you go and trade 1 of the young studs in the OF... I dunno, unless someones willing to fork over a top of the line starter you definately hold on to Dunn, Kearns, and Freel right now.

Doesnt help that I dont know a lot about Cody Ross. Any relation to our Ross?
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Yeah, I would only trade Dunn for a few players and Kearns only for a high rotation guy. Not a No.1, but certainly someone who is a good deal above average.

Well, Ross is nothing special.....perhaps they want Womack in return to be a backup IF, they arent exactly strong there.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Ross is just a backup type of player, but I have to think Kriv views Deno as starter material and is getting backups to the backup for potential future moves.

MLB ERA
    I think he could turn into a pretty darn good backup player though. A PH who has some pop and plays some pretty good defense.

MLB ERA
    Hopefully this just means we're getting rid of McCracken for now.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, if that's what this move means (assuming what we would be giving up is nothing to cry over), I am totally cool with it and actually pleased.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Hmmm...

I don't necessarily hate the prospects of this deal. If we could get a decent OF and get rid of Womack, then its a win win situation. Ross would be another guy who may pan out to be better than expected. We all know how good Womack is and he is not going to get any playing time on this team any longer. So I am happy to get Ross even if it doesn't mean Womack will be going to LA. Because he would then be released as we wouldn't have room on our roster for him.

Unless of course McCracken is the one sent back down.

AA ERA
    Hard to say about this deal. Matters what we are giving up. I am all for adding depth. By the way, did we ever find out what exactly they traded for Phillips?

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Hmmm...

I don't necessarily hate the prospects of this deal. If we could get a decent OF and get rid of Womack, then its a win win situation. Ross would be another guy who may pan out to be better than expected. We all know how good Womack is and he is not going to get any playing time on this team any longer. So I am happy to get Ross even if it doesn't mean Womack will be going to LA. Because he would then be released as we wouldn't have room on our roster for him.

Unless of course McCracken is the one sent back down.
    Then what do you do when Jr comes back? If there is talks I cant see it NOT involving an extra 2b or Ca as part of a deal for Ross.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    Hard to say about this deal. Matters what we are giving up. I am all for adding depth. By the way, did we ever find out what exactly they traded for Phillips?
    Not to my knowledge.

But I had a question that I am not for sure anyone here would know or not, how do they determine a player to be named later. Obviously Phillips has turned out to be a great looking deal for Kriv, exceeding hopes of people who were high on them deal like myself. So would that performance changes things? Or do they have essentially an agreed upon list, and the other team eventually chooses a player from that list to complete the deal based on further scouting or whatnot. I've just always been confused in regards to how the selection is later made.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast