Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Report: Reds acquire Cody Ross

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    It has to either be one of our outfielders or its going to be Freel. Phillips is more than capable of being our everyday 2B, which leaves Freel as an utility man once Junior comes back.

Now, if its an OF that he deals, he'd better be asking for Dontrelle Willis in return.

Either way, I have a feeling that the next deal will be a big one, involving multiple MLBers/prospects.
    rf28

AA ERA
    I think a trade would have to involve either Freel or Kearns. I think they will get rid of one of them and bring up Denorfia. I would think Kearns would probably be more likely to be traded than Freel, but I wouldnt be surprised by anyting.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Let Jr. come back, play solid and deal him.

This team will regret trading Kearns since outside of the K/BB (which probably can be explained by an eagerness to prove himself), this is the Kearns we were expecting.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    Let Jr. come back, play solid and deal him.

This team will regret trading Kearns since outside of the K/BB (which probably can be explained by an eagerness to prove himself), this is the Kearns we were expecting.
    Im still not sure that Griffey has much value right now with that contract, if someone wants to take on the sum of the remaining and we take on the defered payments you consider it but Im just not sure we could find a buyer for Griffey, the best oppertunity was probably last year before Junior got hurt and O'Brien blew that chance.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

i don't think that another deal is coming right away, maybe at the trade deadline. i guess i could see them dealing javy for a reliever if some team developed a need, but that'd be about it. If we are still winning come the deadline kriv might think about a deal for a big name starter.

i do like this deal, just because it seems to keep moving us toward having a more stable roster. we have depth at every position and no real log jams except for the 3 catchers.

hopefully we can get a minor leaguer for womack that's as good as whoever we're giving up for ross.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    So what do you guys think is next for Krivsky? Is he going to build on this and possibly trade Freel now? I would absolutely hate to lose Freel, but Ross is a valid replacement from what it sounds like and Freel may bring pitching.

What do you guys think?
    Ross is a corner outfielder with solid power and defense, no speed, average at-best walk rate, and a ton of strikeouts. So he's pretty much nothing like Freel and therefore not a valid replacement for the only leadoff man we have.

I think the most likely move is just McCracken getting DFA'd when Junior gets back.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Freel is absolutely better. I was just talking about Ross being the person that could step in to back up in CF. All the things I have heard on him are that he is a CF and not a corner OF. But I could be wrong on that.

I am not saying it would be good to trade Freel and I may have misguided my thoughts before. But Freel would be a good trade commodity for some pitching. Kearns, I just do not want to see go. He just has a much better ceiling than Freel.

MLB ERA
    Ross can play centerfield and play it well, but I was under the impression he was more suited to be a corner outfielder.

redsr- it all just depends on what we're getting back. With the reds need for pitching i don't think anyone is untouchable. We have a lot of young position players that are producing, and none of them should be dealt unless it's for someone of equal value but on the mound.

I think what Kriv is doing is setting it up so we have enough depth at all positions, so that he can make the best deal overall at the deadline. Think of it like a player draft. A team that has no desperate needs can take the best available talent when it's their turn to draft. A team that needs something really badly has to draft that kind of player, even if their is a better player overall out there.

In the reds case, they're not looking for the best player but the best deal. if they didn't have depth at all positions, then only certain players would be available and that will limit the deals we could make. Now we have:

c: larue, valentin, ross
    1st: hatteberg, aurilia, dunn
    2nd: phillips, freel, aurilia
    ss: felo, philips, aurilia
    3b: EdE, freel, aurilia
    lf: dunn, ross, denorfia
    cf: griffey, freel, deno
    rf: kearns, ross, denorfia

with that depth we can afford to deal any of the starters and not take too much of a hit, so we can look for the best deal.
    Reds MVP Race

MLB ERA
    Good points, Wally. I'm totally on the same page on this one.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    but it still makes you wonder what Wayne is thinking about doing. Getting a young Ross and having Denorfia in AAA owning has to maybe spark some interest in trading away Kearns. I think that we should keep Kearns but i can see why Krisky could consider trading him b/c he has a lot of high value. I cant remember a team that had a lot of depth on the MLB roster that lost many games. I think depth is the way to go for this team.

AAA ERA
    I really just see Denorifia as another Kearns...which could very well be a good thing.

i think denorfia is much more like another brady clark.
    Reds MVP Race

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123