Thread: Dunn's worst fear about to come true

MLB ERA

Dunn's worst fear about to come true

Dunn's worst fear about to come true

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

MILWAUKEE | Adam Dunn rues the day May 13 — and nine Saturday home games after that. Nearly everybody loves the sun, but baseball players hate it shining in their eyes and that's what Dunn has to look (squintingly) forward to on May 13.

On that day, the Cincinnati Reds play the first of 10 games in Great American Ball Park that begin at 6:10 p.m., with the sun directly in the left fielder's eyes.

"The first five innings it is going to be really, really, really, really hard for the left fielders and the center fielders," said Dunn. "The first two innings of 7:10 games are hard to see.

"That needs to be changed, those 6:10 games," he said. "At 7:10, the sun is right over the top of the stadium, right in your eyes. And the second inning, when it's in the gaps between the roof and the stands, well, it's terrible."

Dunn shook his head and said, "If I get hit in the face with a line drive, you think that — naw, forget that. They wouldn't change it."

Pitcher Aaron Harang overheard the conversation and said, "You can change it. You've got pull."

Said Dunn, "Who lied to you?"

Manager Jerry Narron brought up the subject first and said, "The games that concern me are those 6:10 games. It is going to be nasty in left field. I love the starting time, but it is going to be a tough field to play. Sometimes the sun is directly in the pitcher's face with the 7:10 starts."

A Dayton appearance

That rumored start for Paul Wilson in Dayton is no longer a rumor.

The Reds left-hander begins a rehabilitation assignment Wednesday for the Dragons at Fifth Third Field against the Peoria Chiefs, probably four innings.

Wilson could be within two or three successful rehab starts of joining the Reds and moving into the rotation, which should make struggling Dave Williams nervous.

Bouquet to Berry

Give credit to Brandon Phillips for scoring the winning run from second base an a shallow infield roller Friday night, but give third base coach Mark Berry a sniff of respect, too.

Before Phillips hit third base, Berry was waving his arm in a circle like a windmill in a hurricane.

"Yeah, I sent him," Berry said. "You need the right situation — a player with speed who runs hard every time. That's Phillips. Not all players run hard from base-to-base. You need a ball that is going to be a tough play, one that the infielder is going to have to make an off-balance throw that might be in the dirt.

"Plus, there were two outs and we weren't doing much against Ben Sheets (two runs, six hits, no walks, 10 strikeouts), so you have to take chances."

Two for LaRue

Jason LaRue was Brandon Claussen's catcher Saturday and he'll be in the gear again this afternoon to catch in the series finale.

"LaRue might be the only guy we have who hits against Doug Davis," said manager Jerry Narron, referring to Milwaukee's starter today. LaRue is 5 for 15 with a home run against Davis.

LaRue's eight home runs in Miller Park are the most for any member of the Reds.

Here comes Roy

For the Reds, so far Friday night has been Beat The Best Night. Two Fridays ago they beat Chris Carpenter of the Cardinals, 1-0. Last Friday they beat Ben Sheets, 3-1.

"Houston's Roy Oswalt is pitching (today), so we'll get him on Friday," said manager Jerry Narron.

Now that's the Challenge of the Century for the Reds.

"That'd be three straight Fridays," said Narron. Told that Oswalt is 15-0 for his career against the Reds, Narron asked, "What's the record? What's the all-time record for one pitcher against one team?"

That's it, Jerry, Oswalt vs. the Reds.

"Ever? Of all time?" he said. Ever. Of all time (19 starts, 15-0, 2.41 ERA).
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

I don't know, so I'm being serious: Does Dunn wear those flip shades that many players sport? If not, he should try them, they seem to work for everyone not on the Mets.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    i think he did, now he's sporting the austin kearns eye shadow
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

AAA ERA
    I'm really not looking forward to facing Roy Oswalt Friday. Maybe they can actually get a couple of runs, and no, maybe even a win against him.