Thread: One writer on the Brandon bandwagon

One writer on the Brandon bandwagon

Reds' Phillips is worth the risk
    The Reds already had too many second basemen when they traded for Brandon Phillips, but new general manager Wayne Krivsky already looks smart for making the deal. A team like the Reds, coming off five straight seasons, needs to collect as many good players as possible.

Phillips, 24, is 9-for-18 with 13 RBIs in his last four games, and the Reds' crunch for playing time at second has been alleviated by the injury to Ken Griffey Jr., which has enabled Ryan Freel to get his at-bats in center.

It's too soon to say that the Indians blew it by giving up on Phillips, a right-handed hitter, for cash or a player to be named. But their decision to keep infielder Ramon Vazquez over Phillips, who was out of minor-league options, was motivated by short-term goals.

Vazquez, 29, gives the Indians a left-handed hitting reserve, not to mention veteran smarts and maturity. Phillips needs to adjust his offensive approach, a rival executive says, or opponents eventually will exploit his weaknesses.

Still, Phillips is a terrific athlete with pop in his bat and a strong desire to play. At the very least, one scout says, he should make a fine super-utility man — and two players who previously had that label, the Orioles' Melvin Mora and Angels' Chone Figgins, went on to become much more.

Ken Rosenthal is FOXSports.com's and Sporting News senior baseball writer.

...I was glad to see a well known writer like Rosenthal getting on the Brandon train.

AA ERA
    Good to get some national pub. I agree with everything Rosenthal says here. It is hard to believe that the Indians gave up on him just b/c he is out of options.

AAA ERA
    yeah, I mean i would like the see the kid still hitting this well by seasons end before I go out and proclaim it one of the best moves he has made, but so far it is up there, but as it pains me to say, his best move was the one i hated the most

MLB ERA
    The Indians had no choice. With what he had shown them so far, he was Brandon Larson, and if they hadn't traded him then he would've been claimed off of waivers. At least they got something out of him.