Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Womack gone by April 28?

Womack gone by April 28?

It appears the most pointless man on the roster might be gone sooner rather than later...

Talk among scouts is that Womack will be released when Ken Griffey Jr. comes off the disabled list April 28.

Womack makes $2 million this year, but the New York Yankees are paying $900,000 of that.

Krivsky expects Womack to contribute as long as he's on the club.

"He's a pro," Krivsky said. "Tony knows he's got to stay ready. He's professional. He works hard. He wants to play. He works as hard as anyone we have."

click for the rest http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.d...604200348/1071

It'd be hilarious if they cut him.

It would also be a smart move. The Mets will prolly pick him up if this happens, that's the sad thing.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

I can only hope they designate him for assignment rather than release him, so maybe a team will pick up his remaining salary. He could probably be of benefit to some team out there.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep DFA him. This can only come out big for the Reds though. More Phillips ABs and when Jr. gets back, it gives more opportunity for Freel to play as well.

Looks like a second coming of DJ.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Then that means we're going to carry 3 catchers? Why?
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I am still hoping a move dealing with one of our catchers is in the near future. Otherwise keeping them makes little sense if any at all.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by General
    It'd be hilarious if they cut him.

It would also be a smart move. The Mets will prolly pick him up if this happens, that's the sad thing.
    It'd be an upgrade, too. Endy Chavez is fielding their backup CF spot.

marc lancaster has said that there are several teams interested in womack, including the cardinals and i'd have to assume the mets. I don't think they'll just release him.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Awesome! This makes it a lot easier to get rid of Womack now. Hopefully it is sooner than later.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Why would the Cardinals want Hosmack?
    rf28

MLB ERA
    So Taguchi has been awful, Skip Schumaker has been awful, and their 2B situation isn't all too pretty. They'd like him for depth, speed, leadership.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Womack was actually at his best when he was with the Cards. He was decent for the D-Backs, but he was better when he was with the Cards. They may think they have the necessary adjustments for him to get him to play as he was for them years prior.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    So this upcoming Womack move means that Brandon Phillips has the second base job for good now? Let's say 5 days a week or so?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I am not sure about 5 days a week because Freel would still obviously need his ABs. And Aurilia would have to play there as well I would suspect.

I think the Reds would be better off spelling Hatteberg at 1B with Aurilia much more often and having Aurilia spell EdE when he needs a break. Keep him out of the 2B option. Then it would just be Freel and Phillips. Phillips could be the starter and continue to try and improve on his hitting at the MLB level. Then Freel could sub in for 2B and any OF position. Then 5 days a week would not be impossible but instead it would be done easily.

I just still see them favoring Aurilia over all of them still. So he may still be in the mix at 2B.

MLB ERA
    I can't answer this as well as some might be able to, but I'm doubting Phillips will have the type of fantasy value you desire.

Freel still needs to get his fair amount of playing time, and with Griffey returning, the OF won't be a place he can do that in, so he'll be getting more time at second. I would go so far as to say that Freel would be the regular 2B over Phillips, and that Phillips will be pushed into an "I spell guys when they get tired" role. He'll probably get more at-bats than that, because he will get his days, but he'll be too inconsistent (and probably not good enough when he is playing) to be worth adding.

Which I know you want to do

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast