Thread: Encarnacion working hard on his defense

MLB ERA

Encarnacion working hard on his defense

Krivsky does one-day shuffle to lift sore, sick, tired bullpen

By Hal McCoy

Staff Writer

CINCINNATI | When the starting pitchers don't get out of the fifth inning in three of the previous four games, it isn't surprising that the bullpen is in crash-and-burn mode and the Cincinnati Reds have to get creative and do the fast shuffle.

And when Chris Hammond calls in sick with the flu and Kent Mercker's touchy back is acting up, well, what's a manager to do?

Asked before Wednesday's game with the Florida Marlins who was available in the bullpen, manager Jerry Narron smiled and said: "Todd Coffey and David Weathers. I need at least seven (innings from starter) Aaron Harang."

General Manager Wayne Krivsky did get creative, though. He called up left-handed pitcher Mike Gosling, a starter at Class AAA Louisville, to be an insurance-policy long relief man Wednesday.

It was a one-day assignment. He'll go back to Louisville today when the Reds start a seven-game trip in Milwaukee, and relief pitcher Brian Shackelford will join the Reds.

Why not Shackelford on Wednesday?

"He pitched two days in a row (at Louisville) and wasn't available for today," Narron said. "We sent Mike Burns to Louisville because he has pitched three days in a row and wasn't available today. Shackelford probably has been their best pitcher in Louisville."

About Gosling's presence Wednesday and his usage, Narron said, "Anything we need. He is going to pitch today, if we need him."

Gosling understood his one-day stay. "It was a pleasant surprise," he said. "Whatever they need me for and for however long, that's how it goes. They didn't tell me about anything beyond (Wednesday)."

Alas, Harang lasted only four innings, giving up five runs. Gosling pitched a scoreless fifth, then gave up two runs, including Reggie Abercrombie's 493-foot homer, in the sixth.

Extra work for Edwin

After an error-plagued start to the season — six in his first 10 games — third baseman Edwin Encarnacion turned in several defensive dandies on the three-game homestand.

Before every home game, before anybody else is on the field, Encarnacion is at third base taking ground balls from infield coach Bucky Dent.

"It's an everyday routine, and mostly we work on his throwing, which is where he seems to have the most problems," Dent said. "He needs to get consistent with his footwork. Sometimes he slides off-balance and throws instead of turning and getting set.

"We work at it every day, and he is getting better and better," Dent said. "I tell him when he takes ground balls in practice, do it at game speed, do it with a purpose. He needs to make 10 to 12 throws to first base every day."

So what did E.E. do in the third inning Wednesday? He threw a ball into the dirt for error No. 7.

Felipe's defensive cycle

Felipe Lopez, 0-for-9 over the previous two games, was given his first day off Wednesday, replaced at shortstop by Rich Aurilia. That completes The Infield Cycle for Aurilia. He has started at all four infield spots — six at first base, once at second base, twice at third base and once at shortstop.

Left-hander Scott Hatteberg was a surprise starter at first base Wednesday against Marlins left-handed pitcher Dontrelle Willis, and Narron said, "I didn't tell Hatteberg last night, so he probably was shocked when he saw the lineup this morning."

Just stay away

After calling in sick with the flu, then going to the trainer's room for a checkup, lefty reliever Hammond was sent home.

Asked if Hammond would be on the charter Wednesday night to Milwaukee, Narron said: "If he's sick, I hope not. But I do hope he can join us in Milwaukee (today)."
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    Since Hammond is sick, they should cut him.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    10-12 throws every day? Thats what I have been talking about. He needs to make at least 30 throws a day no joke. And he needs to make them all at game speed and he needs to make sure he improves on the total number of good throws everyday. Get a few guys to run the bases and try to beat out his throws also in order to get him the real feeling of rushing the throw.

AA ERA
    Thats a good point redsrbetter. Also, is it just me, or does he never barehand a slow roller? I think he needs to practice that as well.

MLB ERA
    Edwin barehands the ball a lot if he's charging hard on it, and he's pretty damn good at it.

AA ERA
    Well, who am I thinking of? Maybe I am dreaming. Forget it.