Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No date for Griffey's return

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

No date for Griffey's return

ST. LOUIS -- The Cincinnati Reds didn't appear to miss Ken Griffey Jr. much when the center fielder was out of the lineup on Thursday at Chicago, an 8-3 Reds victory.
    But the offense generated just four runs in the first two games in St. Louis. Aaron Harang's strong pitching performance led to a 1-0 win on Friday night, but the lineup couldn't overcome Dave Williams' struggles in Saturday's 9-3 loss.
    "It would be nice to have Griff back in the lineup," Reds manager Jerry Narron said after Saturday's loss. "We'll see where that is day-to-day. I don't know if he'll be out there [Sunday] or not, but we definitely miss him."
    Griffey was not in the lineup for Sunday afternoon's series finale, as he was still experiencing the stiffness behind his right knee that caused him to come out of Wednesday's game at Chicago.
    "Some people think it's worse than we're letting on, and if it was worse than we're letting on, he wouldn't be here," Narron said on Sunday. "Seriously, it's day-to-day with him and we'll see what Dr. [Timothy] Kremchek says tomorrow when he sees him, why he's got that tightness."
    Narron understands why Griffey is cautious. "If I'd gone through what he has with the surgery, if I felt tight, I would not want to take any chances," the manager said. "So I don't blame him. He's available to pinch-hit, he's just not available to run."

Ok, I call bullcrap. Narron is so full of it. If its not that serious, get his butt back out there. Otherwise, DL him and bring someone up that can help us. Its no knock on Griffey, just on management. I know he's had injuries, but come on.
    rf28

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I don't know what to think about this. The retarted side of me is saying that he is hurt but for some reason they don't want anyone to know as to what extent the injury is. (possible move in line?)

But the smarter side of me thinks that they are just taking every precaution possible to ensure he does not have another injury this season.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    There's absolutely bubkus on the rumor mill regarding Junior. Unless the traded player is Kearns and they are trying to get Junior to move to RF, I don't think it is because of a pending transaction.

I do think the management is being cautious to the point of absurdity.
    rf28

from what narron is saying, it sounds like it isn't the reds who are being cautious, it sounds like griffey is being cautious. i bet narron asks him to play every day and it's his call.

honestly though, how badly have we missed him? freel is playing better D than he can (did you see that diving catch he made yesterday that Grif wouldn't have been anywhere near?) and he was struggling with the bat. he's basically puttin gup rich arilia numbers right now.

I'm not saying i don't want him to come back soon, i think he can still have a good year, but our 5.31 team ERA is hurting us a lot more than griffey being on the bench.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

AAA ERA
    my feeling is this, I don't want them to rush Jr out there, I mean every day this weekend on extra innings they keep saying, let him hit, put him out there, forget that crap, if he gets hurt worse he could have problems all season.. But this leaving him on the roster is going to kill us, I mean in this day in age we have to carry 12 to 13 pitchers, so our bench is already hamstrung(no pun intended) and you keep him up but not use him makes it even worse, put him on the DL, let him rest up for the long haul and get someone else up here.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    honestly though, how badly have we missed him? freel is playing better D than he can (did you see that diving catch he made yesterday that Grif wouldn't have been anywhere near?) and he was struggling with the bat. he's basically puttin gup rich arilia numbers right now.
    If anything, this could be a blessing in disguise. The more Freel plays, the greater chance Narron has it to get it through his thick skull that he should be an everyday player like I don't know... secondbase. Take your time with Griffey, he knows his body better than anyone else.

MLB ERA
    Griffey needs to suck it up and move to LF or 1B. Freel should be the everyday CF at this point, with Aurilia the everyday 2B. Deno will fill in a lot in the outfield when we have Freel play somewhere else or when Freel needs rest, so he'd get in 2 or 3 times a week.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    All good points, but if the injury isn't that bad, then why isn't he playing? If he's not in the lineup tonight, then he need to be DL'ed.
    rf28

MLB ERA
    Not much point in DLing him if he'll be back in the next 10 days. It isn't like our bench has been empty or anything, so I don't worry too much about the roster spot.

Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    Griffey needs to suck it up and move to LF or 1B. Freel should be the everyday CF at this point, with Aurilia the everyday 2B. Deno will fill in a lot in the outfield when we have Freel play somewhere else or when Freel needs rest, so he'd get in 2 or 3 times a week.
    couldn't agree more. I think Jr would be an above average defensive LF, so my preference would be to move Dunn to 1st, but getting either one out of the outfield would be plus.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Putting Freel in CF would be ideal as we would finally have some range out there. I really think an OF of Griffey-Freel-Kearns could easily be above average.

AA ERA
    Well, while I agree with you both, I think Griffey would reject moving even more than Dunn. We have heard several times that he is a "centerfielder". It may be another year or two until he is convinced that he should move.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Whenever the subject of Griffey changing positions has come up, first base has been mentioned as a possibility. Apparently, he takes some grounders there from time to time. From what I have heard, he has the natural ability to play first.

Dunn's ideal position is DH!
    rf28

AA ERA
    I wouldnt mind seeing Griff at 1st. He would have plenty of range there. But I dont think we will see anyone in the OF move unless Hatteberg and Aurilia get hurt.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think Griffey would scoff at the idea of 1B much more than LF. When it was mentioned on one of those Reds Weekly shows (IIRC) he cited that the position is actually much more physically harder on a player but I think that was just to mask his refusal to move from CF due to the pride he takes in playing the position.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast