Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN rumor central

ESPN rumor central

Take these for what they're worth, but two rumors listen on ESPN.com today caught my eye:

Apr 10 - Even though their outfield logjam is settled, the Reds are still shopping Austin Kearns to see if he can bring back a decent starting pitcher in a trade, the Newark Star-Ledger reports.

Apr 10 - Jeff Nelson is looking for work, Newsday reports. After being released by the Cardinals in the final week of spring training, the veteran right-handed reliever is home in Seattle waiting for a call from someone. Nelson, 39, signed a minor-league contract with St. Louis and allowed no runs and a hit in six Grapefruit League games.

"I can't believe nobody wants to give this guy an opportunity," Jay Franklin, Nelson's agent, told the newspaper.

The Kearns rumor is obviously much more startling, i'm really surprised with the way he's been swinging, and the amount of 2b/c we have that he'd be the guy Kriv is trying to trade.

I haven't even looked at Nelson's numbers last year, but he'd probably be better than rick white.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Unless somethings picked up and his hot start has made teams take notice and upped offers I cant see them dealing Kearns cause then that would leave us with Tony Womack as our #4 OF.... yuck.

Nelson's Numbers 49 games, 37.2 IP, 32 hits, 3.93 ERA, .237 BAA, 8.35 Ks/9, 1.55 K/BB, Hit 4 Batters last year, .73 GB/FB ratio.

This was in Seattle a pitchers park. He got knocked around like a rag doll the year before in Texas probably worth a call but I dunno if he would really help much besides club house stories about the Yanks glory days.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

MLB ERA
    The team would likely call Denorfia up from AAA if Kearns were to be traded.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    hmmm..

I don't know how happy I would be to trade Kearns right now. I am biased with him and always have been and would not hate a trade for a good return. But do you guys think he would get the same kind of return that Pena got? I am not too sure that Kearns' ceiling is looked at as high as Pena's.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Kearns for Westbrook would look real good right now.
    rf28

AAA ERA
    since Pena is gone, I have no problems with letting Kearns go too.

Right now this team needs Bullpen help seriously, I know a Starting Pitcher would be nice, but again Not sure of the Caliber of Starter we would get, likely about the same caliber as the guys we got.. We need to package some of our INF utility players and one of our catchers for a relief pitcher, I would like a closer, but that could be too much to ask, just someone better then the turds we got out there right now

Quote Originally Posted by NFLman2033
    since Pena is gone, I have no problems with letting Kearns go too.

Right now this team needs Bullpen help seriously, I know a Starting Pitcher would be nice, but again Not sure of the Caliber of Starter we would get, likely about the same caliber as the guys we got.. We need to package some of our INF utility players and one of our catchers for a relief pitcher, I would like a closer, but that could be too much to ask, just someone better then the turds we got out there right now
    i don't understand the logic of trading kearns now that wily mo is gone, wouldn't it seem like now that we actually need him to play right field, this is the time NOT to trade him?

i think it's clear that we need to deal from our pool of catchers and 2b for relief help, as you said.

Kearns is hitting pretty well right now, and needs to keep at it. He's a major building block for this team's future at this point, and i see no reason to trade him for someone like westbrook.
    Reds MVP Race

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    One thing is for sure, with all this talk of a trade coming and the high likelihood of that being a sure thing, Krivsky has the perfect setting in doing that today. There is no game today, so things can happen here momentarily.

I am very excited and am trying to remain optimistic. It is always scary when we know one of our players will be moving. But if it helps this team, we will be in good shape.

Question is, will it be for RP or SP? Does Krivsky feel like we still need SP more than RP with the kind of season we are currently having? If so, can Williams and Wilson become good RP candidates to go along with Wags and Love Shack?

Everyone should keep their eyes open and look out for the deal coming soon to an eye lid near you. CRF, get that inside insight for us bro!

Come on Krivsky, you can do it right!

AA ERA
    I would think Kearns could bring more in than Pena. While we all talk about Pena's power, lots of people like Kearns b/c he has that .300 25HR talent. I would think someone would put a lot of interest in him and Kearns actually starting out well this season will help his interest even more. I am fine with Denorfia and Freel splitting time in RF if Kearns is gone.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by volzok
    I would think Kearns could bring more in than Pena. While we all talk about Pena's power, lots of people like Kearns b/c he has that .300 25HR talent. I would think someone would put a lot of interest in him and Kearns actually starting out well this season will help his interest even more. I am fine with Denorfia and Freel splitting time in RF if Kearns is gone.
    For the right price, I would do it as well. We do have options to replace Kearns in RF. If it gave Freel a starting position it would be great because while we are losing some pop in the everyday lineup, we will gain a sparkplug in the everyday lineup. To me, that is a nice swap. And it also sends one of our 2B to the outfield and frees up the logjam a bit better.

But in order for a trade to suit this team better, we may want to trade a LaRue who could command the same type of return as Kearns and won't be missed as much as Kearns. Outfielders are much easier to come by than credible catchers. It could be argued that LaRue is one of the best offensive catchers in the NL with the season he had last year. So he would bring a nice retuen in a deal from a team in need of a catcher. We have options behind him as well with Valentin and Ross. Yeah, Ross sucks but I would put him in the lineup every once and a while to get a nice return on a LaRue deal. Then I would still consider trading Womack or Aurilia for a better backup catcher option.

AA ERA
    Yeah, I agree. But I think we wont have any big moves until May at the earliest. But then again, I think the 25 man maybe totally different by July regardless of the Reds record.

New York Yankee Hater!!!! mntwinsfan's Avatar
    MLB ERA

minnesota

Quote Originally Posted by Wally Mo Pena
    Take these for what they're worth, but two rumors listen on ESPN.com today caught my eye:

Apr 10 - Even though their outfield logjam is settled, the Reds are still shopping Austin Kearns to see if he can bring back a decent starting pitcher in a trade, the Newark Star-Ledger reports.

Apr 10 - Jeff Nelson is looking for work, Newsday reports. After being released by the Cardinals in the final week of spring training, the veteran right-handed reliever is home in Seattle waiting for a call from someone. Nelson, 39, signed a minor-league contract with St. Louis and allowed no runs and a hit in six Grapefruit League games.

"I can't believe nobody wants to give this guy an opportunity," Jay Franklin, Nelson's agent, told the newspaper.

The Kearns rumor is obviously much more startling, i'm really surprised with the way he's been swinging, and the amount of 2b/c we have that he'd be the guy Kriv is trying to trade.

I haven't even looked at Nelson's numbers last year, but he'd probably be better than rick white.

Is there any rumors for a deal sending Kearns to minny? Please say there is something.. We have sp as usual to deal. Take Lohse!! Please...
    KBSL - Atlanta Hawks
    Arizona gm - MSL

MLB ERA
    There comes a point when we have enough mediocre starting pitchers. We traded Casey for one, we traded Wily Mo for one. Trading Kearns for one would be overdoing it, and trading him for anyone but an absolutely dominant reliever would be stupid.

i'd give you chris hammond and rick white for lohse if you wanted, but you'd have to pick up is salary because i'd have him selling foam fingers in the stands where he could do less damage. how you guys lost that arbitration case is a mystery to me.

i thought the twins and reds could have done something for baker in the off-season, but the twins just don't have the balls to make any real deals where they have to give something to get something. They're content to let they're farm system produce palyers and make the playoffs every once in a while, but never make a real run at anything.

i've heard rumblings about felo going to the twins, but nothing more than he said she said stuff, and since it would probably take more than just scott baker to get that done i can't see the twins pulling the trigger. Phillips would then become the SS with aurilia, with freel and womack staying at second.

It could work, but if i was kriv i would want baker and crain since i know you aren't going to let liriano go. with a team OPS sitting around .640, the twins might have to start thinking about making a big move if they don't want to be left in the dust by may.
    Reds MVP Race

Quote Originally Posted by Geki Ace
    There comes a point when we have enough mediocre starting pitchers.
    i'm not sure you know what mediocre means. You should look it up.
    Reds MVP Race

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast