Barfield picks family over career

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

CINCINNATI | Casting an early nomination for Father of the Year: Jesse Barfield. Remember him? An American League home run champion for the Toronto Blue Jays. An All-Star.

After he retired seven years ago, Barfield was barraged with big-league coaching offers and by now he might have been a major-league manager. He said no. Why?

His answer was the seat he had in Petco Park for Opening Day in San Diego. With cell phone in hand, he watched his oldest son, Josh, make his major-league debut and get his first hit.

Why the cell phone? He was on a call to Houston, getting an update from his other son's high school game and heard him hit a three-run homer.

"I'm having quite a day," said Barfield.

His sons are why he isn't coaching/managing in the majors.

"I decided what was best for me was to be close to the boys until they were out of school," he said.

Said son, Josh, "Dad had lot of offers. But he gave up his career because of us, because my brother and I also had his dream of playing in the major leagues."

Starting big

The Tampa Bay Deviled Eggs remain awful under new manager Joe "Black Glasses" Maddon, but outfielder Jonny (Wanna buy an 'h') Gomes has a story to tell.

His first hit this year was a home run. So what. Big deal. He does it every year. It was the fifth straight season his first hit of the year was a homer, starting in Class A Bakersfield after starting the season 0-for-26, then at Class AA Orlando, then the next two years at Class Durham and now with T-B.

"It went from cool to a streak to unbelievable," he said. "I don't know how it happens." Well, Jonny, it starts with a big swing and ?

Boon to Boone

Only because he is such a genuinely nice person was Aaron Boone not booed out of Cleveland last year when he hit .123 in April and .188 in May, getting nine hits in all of April. Cleveland fans boo the Tooth Fairy.

This year the former Reds third baseman had five hits in his first two games. Asked how important it is for him to get off to a fast start, Boone smiled and said, "I don't know. I've never gotten off to one."

Rich in pitching

The Chicago White Sox have a problem few teams have, especially the Reds — too much starting pitching. Brandon McCarthy, 22, was 3-1 with a 1.69 ERA in five starts last September.

He couldn't even make the post-season roster. When he was left off, he said he became ill, returning to his apartment with the dry heaves.

This year? He still isn't in the rotation. He is working out of the bullpen, awaiting his chance.

"Last year if I was in this situation I would rather have gone to Triple-A and started," he said. "This year I want to be part of the team and the main thing is I can learn more at this level."

Would GM Ken Williams consider trading him? You'd have better luck acquiring the Sears Tower and the John Hancock Building for an old log cabin.

Tugging the tarp

The San Diego Padres were rained out last week, only the second time in 23 years and only the 16th time in franchise history.

The grounds crew, with little practice, is not adept at pulling a tarp onto the field. Padres outfielder Brian Giles helped them unroll the tarp.

"I'll pull the tarp off when the sun is out so I get to work on my tan," said Giles, sporting an orange face from visits to tanning salons.

Prince of a man

See if this ever happens in Philadelphia's Citizens Bank Park or New York's Shea Stadium.

Prince Fielder started the season 0-for-8 with seven strikeouts, and when he came to bat for the ninth time the Milwaukee fans gave him a standing ovation. No, he doesn't play for the other team. He plays for the Brewers.

Rolen's return

Reds medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek is awaiting delivery of, oh, maybe a Porsche or Ferrari from St. Louis third baseman Scott Rolen.

Kremchek did two operations on Rolen's shoulder since last July, the last time he played before Opening Day. Rolen started this season with three hits, including a grand slam home run.

Take a bow, Doc Hollywood.