Thread: Ask Hal: Arroyo makes immediate impact

MLB ERA

Ask Hal: Arroyo makes immediate impact

Arroyo makes immediate impact

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

First a heartfelt Thank You...

Many thanks to those who stuffed my e-mail box with condolences over the death of my father. They are deeply appreciated. I've tried to answer them all, but there were so many I apologize if I missed anybody.

It was apropos that Dad was buried on Opening Day. He had a passion for baseball and the year didn't start until Opening Day, especially that of his beloved Cleveland Indians. They never gave him a World Series title after 1948, but that didn't stop him from believing in the Tribe.

He passed his passion on to me, playing catch with me and pitching to me nearly every day after getting off his eight-hour shift at 6 p.m. at Goodrich in Akron. He thought I should have made it to the majors as a player. I got as close as I could, Dad, and the highlight of my life was seeing your face at Cooperstown on Induction Day. Rest in eternal peace. You deserve it.

— Hal

QUESTION — Now that the Reds don't have Barry Larkin as their designated All-Star because every team has to have at least one player, who serves that role on the Reds this year? — Dave, Miamisburg/Centerville/Beavercreek.

ANSWER — Larkin earned his All-Star selections every year but the last one, when he was retiring and National League/Marlins manager Jack McKeon named him to the team out of deep respect for Larkin's contributions to the games. This year? This is going to cut you to the depths of your shallow brain, but Ken Griffey Jr. is going to be named on merit and help the National League finally win home-field advantage for the World Series. But he won't play in the World Series.

Q — I see where Bronson Arroyo had one more home run than Sean Casey or Wily Mo Pena after two games. How about that? — Michael, Cincinnati

A — Sorry, you're wrong. Casey homered in his second game with the Pirates. And here is a wager for you: I'll give you 100-to-1 odds (100 Krispy Kreme glazed to one K-K glazed) that Casey and Pena hit more than Arroyo. Who cares? What Arroyo did on the mound in his first game with the Reds is the big factor. The home run? Icing on the K-K donut.

Q — If Jason LaRue had been behind the plate Wednesday they would have won the game, 7-2, because LaRue would have caught Derrek Lee's foul pop-up that catcher David Ross dropped. — Ray, San Bernardino, Calif.

A — C'mon, Ray. You can't assume that. Yes, Lee hit a home run to cut the lead to 7-4, but the Cubs scored a couple more runs, too. Wasn't it enough that the Reds won, 8-6? They don't give style points for margin of victory. As someone once said, "A win is a win is a win ? unless you have to go to the Reds bullpen too often."

Q — What's the difference between pitching to contact as instituted by former general manager Dan O'Brien and just plain throwing strikes? I don't see a difference. — Chuck, Cincinnati

A — Big difference, Chuck, like the difference between O'Brien and Wayne Krivsky. Pitching to contact meant throwing pitches that batters could put in play so the fielders could catch those that didn't whistle out of the park. Throwing strikes — Jerry Narron-type strikes — are quality strikes on the fringes of the strike zone, in and out, up and down, not something right down the middle. If anybody tried to force Nolan Ryan to pitch to contact they would have been wearing a baseball bat where a baseball bat shouldn't be worn.

Q — Eric Milton is the Reds' wild card this year, one good one, one bad one. Do you think the Nationals would take Milton and something else for Alfonso Soriano? — Ron, Washington, D.C.

A — After last year's 6-15 record, if Milton has one good and one bad, they'll take it right now. And the Reds need another second baseman like Adam Dunn needs fly balls on a windy day. Soriano? Too much money, too many headaches. You're from Washington so you just want to dump your troubles in an old Reds hat.

Q — Why is baseball investigating steroid use when they weren't illegal in baseball until 2004, and why aren't Mark McGwire and Rafael Palmeiro being investigated? — Paul, San Antonio

A — Money, money, money. Advertisers are fading away like gravy spots in a laundry. Corporations don't want to be associated with any celebration involving Barry Bonds and his home runs. Money talks, especially when MLB might lose it. The investigation will be all-encompassing and nobody will be able to duck it. But what will they be able to do? Most alleged users are retired, so what will they do, take away their pensions?

Q — Did Steve Smitherman run out of options? I didn't realize he was in camp this spring, but I knew he was with the organization. — Matt, Dayton

A — Smitherman didn't run out of options; the Reds ran out of patience. They didn't need to option him out because he wasn't on the 40-man roster during spring training. He was in minor-league camp when he received the dreaded tap on the shoulder. Smitherman, 27, an outfielder drafted in the 23rd round in 2000, played 21 games for the Reds in 2003 and hit .159. His numbers weren't his only downfall. He didn't endear himself to management with his attitude and violated the sanctity of the hotel bars on the road, the domain of the manager. Players are not allowed, but they don't have to worry about that these days. You won't find Jerry Narron in any bar.

Q — Why are the Reds so high on Ryan Freel but won't just give him the second base job? — Reed, Simsbury, Conn.

A — Manager Jerry Narron won't just give a job to anybody. Christmas doesn't come during baseball season. Tony Womack and Rich Aurilia have to show they don't deserve it. Freel is anchored with the ability to play anywhere at any time and shine. That's how Narron likes to use him, even if Freel wants a full-time job at a permanent location. And Narron loves Freel for it, but there won't be any ribbons around his name on the lineup card.

Q — I read where Nationals GM Jim Bowden has promised the fans a winner if the team gets a new stadium. Deja vu? — David, Beavercreek

A — Yep, deja vu all over again. Bowden promised Cincinnati fans a winner if they voted for a new stadium. How'd that work out when Bowden was here? Hey, not even the Almighty can guarantee a championship for any baseball team. Despite all those players who thank Him for their heroic performances, He favors no team. Ask the Yankees.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Q — I read where Nationals GM Jim Bowden has promised the fans a winner if the team gets a new stadium. Deja vu? — David, Beavercreek

A — Yep, deja vu all over again. Bowden promised Cincinnati fans a winner if they voted for a new stadium. How'd that work out when Bowden was here? Hey, not even the Almighty can guarantee a championship for any baseball team. Despite all those players who thank Him for their heroic performances, He favors no team. Ask the Yankees.
    oh man ... Bowden. What a clown.

MLB ERA
    Hal says Wily Mo and Casey will hit more homers than Arroyo?

Looks like we'll be seeing a 40 homer season out of Brandon.

MLB ERA
    Who's Brandon?
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Brandon Arroyo will win the Cy Young!

MLB ERA
    That's Tim McCarver's (I think it's McCarver) name for Arroyo.

MLB ERA
    Oh, hadn't heard that one before. I guess I don't listen to McCarver enough these days. FOX doesn't seem to have much in the way of Saturday Baseball. I'm sure he said it when the Sox were in the World Series, but I don't remember hearing it.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, and A-Rod also referred to him as Brandon afterwards, using McCarver's line to mock him.

MLB ERA
    McCarver's little catch phrases are pretty funny sometimes. Goofy, but funny.