Thread: Welcome back Wally!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Welcome back Wally!

I was hoping you would get Kearns Krew's and my PMs. Anyhow welcome back, we pretty much have everybody back now. We still have a few missing, namely BluGrssDude and tremere. But we are glad to finally have you back here. This is our new home and we are here to stay. So get comfortable.

Glad i found you too, there's certainly much to discuss. The reds seem to suck, but seem to win, and that always leads to some talk. Casey, Kearns, Griffey, Jiminez, Aurillia, and Dunn to some extent, are all hitting well below where i, and a lot of others thought they would.

Randa, Willy Mo, Freel, and Larue are all hitting way above where i thought they would, so go figure.

The bullpen signings have been a bust for the most part, but then they save the day against the cubs. And Danny Graves keeps giving up just enough hits/walks/runs to escape with the save. The reds are a contradiction in a lot of ways, but they keep hanging tight, and that's what counts.

I have to assume based on their track records, that most of the guys who are slumping will pull out of it at some point, and that we'll be getting Luke Hudson, Ortiz, and Hancock back at some point. If the reds are managing to stay above .500 now, i think we have a shot at contending when those pieces come together. That is if other pieces don't fall apart. Should be exciting to say the least.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Wally, I will respond to your post later on the team, but let me just say welcome back. We were all concerned if the other board was shut down for good that we wouldn't be able to find you again. You're very valued and respected not only by me and redsrbetter but by the entire gang here so I am glad to see you back with us.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Well said. We have had a whole lot of stuff to put up with lately. But as discussed in this forum before, Randa has to be the story told. It is a great one. Randa started off real hot at the plate, and is a good compliment to the likes of Casey. Especially with Casey not hitting like we know he can right now. Also, Randa has been an extreme upgrade on the defensive side of the ball this year too. People says he makes the routine plays, but he does that and then some. So needless to say, we are all on the Randa bandwagon right now.

Hopefully this team starts hitting like we know they can though.

Rookie ERA
    Welcome Wally!

AAA ERA
    yup thats about everyone

MLB ERA
    I'm not sure why some are so stunned by Randa's performance.

I pegged him before the season began to finish with an average close to .320, along with a .388 OBP.

Otherwise, I agree with your assessment Wally.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I wouldn't say I am stunned. I guess I am more pleased than anything. So the word surprise may have been out of context in my previous post. But I am pleased with his performance so far compared to what we had last season.

Randa has a career .768 OPS. Bad for a 3B. Just about everyone should be stunned that he has been able to put up an OPS .300+ points higher than his career avearge.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by AdamDunn#44
    Randa has a career .768 OPS. Bad for a 3B. Just about everyone should be stunned that he has been able to put up an OPS .300+ points higher than his career avearge.
    Nope... sorry.

Some look past career stats. and use hunches. They are then sometimes proven right.

That's the case here.

I've had some arguments in other areas about Freel vs. Jimenez too... and so far I've been proven right in that case too.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

I'm sorry. But you can't sit here and tell me you thought Randa would post an OPS over .300 points over his career average. Jesus could tell me that, and I probably still wouldn't believe it.

and I've had plenty of predictions come true over the last couple years, too.

MLB ERA
    Joe Randa: .319/.388/.858--- 18 HR, 94 RBI

No, I didn't predict a .300 over average OPS for him... but you can see what I did predict. If you don't believe me... go back to the thread you originally made a few pages back in which you asked everyone to make predictions on players.

I know that you made those predictions. I'm just saying there is no way anyone would predict him to post an OPS .300 points above career average.

I think he will have a fine year with and finish with an OPS in the .830-.870 range.

MLB ERA
    OK, I just wanted to make it clear on things.

AA ERA
    Welcome Wally!!! Good to have you back. This really has it about back to normal. Excellent work by all.

On the Randa point, I am not surprised how he is hitting but I am surprised by his power numbers so far this year. I never thought he would be batting cleanup.