Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Edwin needs to be demoted

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Edwin needs to be demoted

He has been horrible since the last few games of Spring Training. He consistently swings through pitches and swings at bad pitches. I think the Reds are doing him a disservice by keeping him up here. I think it would benefit him and the team to demote him. What are your thoughts?
    rf28

Future PGA Tour Golfer DirtyKash's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    1. It's only been 2 games
    2. Who would replace him? Aurilia at 3B full time? Ouch.

MLB ERA
    Encarnacion had no poise in the pre-game stretches. Ship him to AA!

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I would rather have Freel at 3B than Encarnacion right now. He needs to go down to AAA and learn patience.
    rf28

there comes a time in people's careers where they have to play at the major league level. He's proven what he needs to in the minors and he just needs to make some adjustments. he put up reasonable numbers last year, and he's just going to get better. 8 at bats is not enough time to even consider sending him down.

he should be moved down in the order i think, at least behind kearns. if he's still struggling in a month, month and a half, then maybe other options should be considered.

again, we've scored 7 and 8 runs so far, the offense is not the problem. EdE getting his legs in the seven spot for a few weeks isn't going to bury this team.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Yeah, but Freel provides more in the lineup than Encarnacion does right now. He provides electricity. He would make more sense at 3B right now.
    rf28

but EdE needs to play to learn, haven't we taken anything away from the Wily Mo Pena years? Freel has never been more than an average defender at third, and he could provide the same electricity from second base or center field (grif to left, dunn to first) and not take away a spot in the lineup from a guy who needs the development.

if you're arguing that tony womack, rich aurilia, or scott hatteberg should be playing ahead of EdE, then you and i disagree on what the reds need to do to get better and win this year and in the future. mediocre old guys should not be put ahead of promising young guys who are ready to take the next step. arguing for freel in the lineup isn't arguing to take ede out.
    Reds MVP Race

6: Arroyo, Harang
    5: Kearns
    4: Phillips
    3: Dunn, Felo, Freel, Milton
    2: Claussen, EdE, Griffey, Valentin
    1: Aurilia, Hatteberg, Lizard, Larue, Shackelford

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    You and I disagree on Wily Mo too. Because of the Yankees horrible contract, he couldn't properly develop in the minors. Thats why he is deficient in a lot of areas. I don't think Encarnacion playing up at the major league level will help his confidence any. We sent Kearns down because he had a bad streak, why can't we do the same for Edwin. He looks way overmatched right now.
    rf28

AAA ERA
    i think you give him more than 2 games, sure bat him down in the order, but don't demote him just yet, give him a month of ABs if he still hasn't bounced back, then send him down, its too soon

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    To be honest, I am happy we do not have Pena in the lineup right now as well. Because both he and EdE would be in a learning stage and having two guys overmatched would suck.

But I wouldn't demote EdE either. I agree with Wally, keep him in the lineup and move him down a bit. You have to keep this guy in the lineup every day for him to get the hang of big league pitching. Prince Fielder just got his first hit of the season last night after Ned Yost put him further down in the order. Yet Yost stated that he will be in that lineup no matter what. That is the commitment and sacrifice that Narron is going to have to make.

EdE will more than make it up to us if this is the plan I guarantee it.

AAA ERA
    Yes, i totally agree with Redsrbetter and Wally. Theres no way you demote a guy after 2 games of the season. There are other young guys in the league like EdE that havent had the best 2 games of their career. He needs to get his feet wet here in the majors, then he'll be fine.

MLB ERA
    Cecil Fielder's kid went 0-8 with 7 Ks? Demote him!

MLB ERA
    if you are making this case soley because you want freel in the lineup then you are wrong.

EdE is young. Like mentioned above theres a point you reach in your pro career where you NEED to prove yourself at the ML level.

and its been 2 games. i HATE it when people come like this
    i'm scraped and sober but there's no one listening
    [myspace][podcast (10/13)][article]

MLB ERA
    Yeah, no way you should demote him. He has nothing more to prove in the minors. If two games made a season, Tony Womack would be the best player ever instead of one of the worst like he was last year.
    The Simpson family gathers around, as Homer places Bart's passed test on the fridge.)

Homer: We're proud of you, boy.

Bart: Thanks, Dad. But part of this D-minus belongs to God.

AA ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    If two games made a season, Tony Womack would be the best player ever instead of one of the worst like he was last year.
    Let last year go, CRF. Let it go. Its a new season. There is time for Womack.

I agree with pretty much everyone here. He dominated AAA last year, there is no benefit for him to return there. He needs to play here all season so we can find out if he is on track to become a 3B or the next Larson. He was mashing so well early in spring b/c those were some of the guys he was mashing in AAA last year. So just b/c he started bad doesnt mean he needs to go. He has had 2 nice hits in the last 2 days. I think with time he will come along and be very solid by the end of the season.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast