http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/NASA...=.jsp&c_id=cws

Big Hurt still in pain, headed to Triple-A Charlotte
By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

Frank Thomas is working through his tendinitis before heading to Triple-A ball. (Tom Pidgeon/Getty Images)
Related Links

ADVERTISEMENT

print this page | e-mail this page
CHICAGO -- Those White Sox fans in Tucson who wanted to get one last glimpse of Frank Thomas around town have pretty much lost that opportunity.
Thomas returned to Chicago Saturday and will continue the rehabilitation process on his surgically-repaired left ankle with the Major League team. When Thomas works through the pain caused by a current bout of tendinitis, he will begin a Minor League rehabilitation assignment with Triple-A Charlotte.

It's a trip that will cover far less than the 100 at-bats general manager Ken Williams spoke about Thomas needing during Spring Training. Thomas has not faced live pitching since a pinch-hit strikeout at Wrigley Field on July 4 of last season.

"I've never needed 100 at-bats to get ready for this game, and I don't think I will now," said Thomas on Saturday afternoon, after receiving treatment from athletic trainer Herm Schneider. "Especially now, I've been hitting so much, and I've never really done that. I've got everything going now."

Truth be told, Thomas' swing really hasn't been an issue since he first arrived in Arizona back in early March. But his inability to run at full strength, especially in spikes, has prevented Thomas from taking the next step in the process that began with Oct. 6 surgery on his fractured left navicular.

The pain was strong enough early last week that Thomas visited Dr. Richard Ferkel, the surgeon on this particular procedure, for a battery of tests in Los Angeles that lasted more than six hours. The target was to discover if the pain related in any way to the surgery.

Tests yielded tendonitis as the result, caused by Thomas being in a cast for 7 1/2 months and scar tissue building up that he recently broke through. The diagnosis was more than reassuring for Thomas, who looks to be in good shape, and doesn't seem frustrated by the somewhat slow-developing recovery.

"I'm not really that frustrated because I'm still on the same timetable," said Thomas, who adjusted his target return date slightly to mid-May or the end of May. "I just had a setback running-wise. I was out there really going at it.

"I had really stepped up aggressively with the running program -- a high-knee program, with a lot of sidestepping, and agility stuff trying to get the ankle strong again. Some of it worked, but the tendon didn't take all of it.

"The biggest problem is getting back into these spikes," Thomas added. "Running in the spikes has been very, very tough. Hopefully, this tendon flares down, and I'll be ready to go."

Since receiving a cortisone shot in the problematic tendon Tuesday, Thomas has felt less pain. A decision will be made on Monday or Tuesday as to Thomas' next step.

During his time in Arizona, Thomas has kept in contact with some of his teammates, and players such as Willie Harris, Aaron Rowand and Carl Everett came over to greet the team's slugger prior to Saturday's game. Thomas joked that the players have told him to stay away because the team is doing so well.

Thomas doesn't feel any pressure to return quickly because he could end up being a free agent after the 2005 season, if the White Sox choose to exercise a $3.5 million contractual buyout. Turning 37 in one month, Thomas knows he still can be a productive player.

The biggest driving force to get Thomas back on the field is the talent of the White Sox and their chance for postseason success. Thomas pointed out again Saturday that he wants a championship ring, and this is the best-equipped pitching staff in his 16 years on the South Side to accomplish that goal.

But before Thomas can start hitting home runs, earning walks and blending in with Carl Everett at designated hitter, he has to be able to run.

"Guys are playing great team baseball, and that's what it's all about," Thomas said. "I've got to accept my role, but I know what I've got to do when I get back. I know what I'm capable of doing.

"We have interchangeable parts. There are right-handers that give me fits, and on those days, I'll be on the bench. But once I get healthy and come out and do my thing, things will take care of themselves."