Thread: Thome in, Rowand gone - I don't like it

White Sox Thome in, Rowand gone - I don't like it

Sun Times story:

http://www.suntimes.com/output/sox/cst-spt-sside26.html

Frank Thomas is now almost 100% guaranteed to be gone, as the only place Thome can play is DH ... maybe he and Konerko swapping at 1st every now and then.

I am disappointed that Aaron Rowand is who was traded to get Thome, as I think Rowand was a more valuable commodity to the team than Thome will be.

Oh well. Can't have everything I guess ....

MLB ERA
    Why don't you like it? Once you get beyond the fact that Rowand is gone (I didn't like it at first myself), you'll see that the trade should improve the team for the immediate future, which is what it was designed to do. Thome will fill the DH role, which was occupied by Carl Everett (should be an improvement), and Brian Anderson will take the CF spot that Rowand vacated (his defense will be anywhere from a slight dropoff to a slight improvement from Rowand, while his offensive production should be similar to Rowand's at worst), that is unless Chris Young tears up the cactus league next year. Really the only thing the Sox lost that they won't be able to immediately replace IMO is a very talented LH pitching spec, but he's only 20 years old and won't be ready for at least 2-3 years, so it's not exactly a huge loss. It seems like another equal value type of trade that Kenny seems to have been doing lately, and that 30 lb. trophy the Sox just brought home makes me not want to question any moves that Kenny makes unless it becomes another Todd Ritchie trade.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Dam8610
    Why don't you like it? Once you get beyond the fact that Rowand is gone (I didn't like it at first myself), you'll see that the trade should improve the team for the immediate future, which is what it was designed to do. Thome will fill the DH role, which was occupied by Carl Everett (should be an improvement), and Brian Anderson will take the CF spot that Rowand vacated (his defense will be anywhere from a slight dropoff to a slight improvement from Rowand, while his offensive production should be similar to Rowand's at worst), that is unless Chris Young tears up the cactus league next year.

Well, I hope Mr. Anderson will step up and do as you say.

I just thought Rowand was the type of steady team player we really needed at the position, and more importantly, on the team.

Yes, Thome brings his big bat, but he is essentially a mercenary. I wanted the Sox to keep shit together for the long haul.

Quote Originally Posted by Dam8610
    Really the only thing the Sox lost that they won't be able to immediately replace IMO is a very talented LH pitching spec, but he's only 20 years old and won't be ready for at least 2-3 years, so it's not exactly a huge loss. It seems like another equal value type of trade that Kenny seems to have been doing lately, and that 30 lb. trophy the Sox just brought home makes me not want to question any moves that Kenny makes unless it becomes another Todd Ritchie trade.
    I see your point, and guess we will just wait and see how things pan out.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Boris13c
    Well, I hope Mr. Anderson will step up and do as you say.

I just thought Rowand was the type of steady team player we really needed at the position, and more importantly, on the team.
    His defensive presence was big, but he wasn't a productive hitter, and like I said before, Anderson has comparable defensive skills and should be able to produce better offensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Boris13c
    Yes, Thome brings his big bat, but he is essentially a mercenary. I wanted the Sox to keep shit together for the long haul.
    What do you think Everett or Frank Thomas would've been? Thome is just what Kenny Williams thinks will be a better DH who will be able to be extremely productive at the position while Chris Young and Ryan Sweeney develop in the minors.
    http://img457.imageshack.us/img457/1526/jenkssigya5.jpg

Carlos Quentin for MVP!

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.