Thread: Buehrle accuses Rangers of cheating

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA

Buehrle accuses Rangers of cheating

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2147225

Chicago White Sox left-hander Mark Buehrle called the Texas Rangers cheaters on Tuesday, claiming that the team signals pitches to batters through a high-tech light system in center field.

Buehrle suggested Monday night that the Rangers knew what he was throwing during Chicago's 7-5 loss, and he repeated the accusation before Tuesday's doubleheader.

"I've heard rumors, so it's not just me saying this," Buehrle said. "I've heard it from tons of people. It's not just me saying this. ... Something's going on because they hit so good at home. The way they hit here, you'd have to raise an eyebrow to figure something's going on. Look at the stats. I'm not just making this up."

Texas entered Tuesday batting .285 with 125 homers at home, compared to .256 with 86 homers on the road.

The Rangers dismissed the allegations -- in some cases with a chuckle.
    When I first saw the article I thought it was going to say that runners on 2nd base were giving signs (even though the signs usually change when a runner is on 2nd) or that hitters were peaking at the catcher giving the signs...

Players in this amateur league I play in peak in all the time and as a pitcher it pisses me off. And there were plenty of times I wanted to just drill the batter, but didn't because of there being a runner on or it being a tight gamr, but one time I did step off the mound and say to the batter "Why don't you peak at the signs again?!?!" because he so obviously looked in while stepping into the box after stepping out...I ended up striking him out on the next pitch, so that was nice, but I can't stand it when players cheat like that...it's busch league.

Old Style Drinker
    MLB ERA
    buerhle being a baby yet again
    The art of being an engineer: packing 10 lbs of crap into a 5 lb box.

"If Hooter's fell, for all practical purposes the world was lost." Von Neumann's War
    http://www.myspace.com/rockinray1

Waaa...Waaa..

Don't suck and blame cheating. How about changing the signs? They do that in LITTLE LEAGUE!
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

MLB ERA
    Using the Rangers home/away split's as proof is like doing that with the Mariners home/away split's. Stupid.

MLB ERA
    Buehrle also said later that he knew he'd be criticized for it, and I guess he deserves it to an extent. I'm not going to criticize him, because if you have a season like Buehrle is having, you're allowed one stupid comment, especially if you happen to be pitching for my team.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Good point Dam. Buehrle can get away with stuff like this. He has been insane this year. Now it is time to shut up again and keep it going on the mound.