Thread: "We Want Griffey"

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

"We Want Griffey"

'We want Griffey'

They just won't give up. During the last homestand at U.S. Cellular Field, White Sox fans chanted over and over, "We want Griffey, We want Griffey."

The White Sox scored 36 runs in a 16-game span, eight of which came in two losses to the Red Sox.

The Chicago Sun-Times sent a writer to Washington to interview Ken Griffey Jr. to ask if he would accept a trade to the White Sox — if one were made.

Washington Post and USA Today writers pumped him before Tuesday's game about the same tired issues. He quietly answered the same way he always answers — he has no control over what the Reds try to do, he plays for his 24 teammates, he doesn't think about trades, "And guys like you guys (writers) are the ones who think about it more than I do."

When manager Jerry Narron heard about it, he said, "The White Sox better hurry. In a week it won't matter."

After September 1, any player added to a team's roster is ineligible for postseason play.

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sport...redsnotes.html

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I think Narron is correct here. Sept 1st is the cutoff date. The Sox are going to have to make a decision. If they need Griffey's bat, they are going to have to really think about what O"Brien is asking for. DanO is definitely not scared to show what Griffey is worth. And he would be a huge asset to this team, so DanO being a smart man, realizes they may need him and may become desperate. This allows his asking price to be larger than normal. McCarthy may be on his way out if any deal is done IMO. Would you guys do it with McCarthy being apart of it?

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    It doesn't seem like the Reds are going to trade anyone of value unless it's in the offseason. I can't remember the article, but it was on ESPN right after the trade deadline and a GM basically said they didn't know what the hell the Reds were doing, they wouldn't return phone calls, would act interested and then not tell you what players they wanted in return, and also wouldn't say what their needs were and so on...I don't see how the Reds will get better unless they do something to get more pitching.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    The thing with the Reds is, GM Dan O"Brien took this trade deadline as to say he was not willing to trade anyone. Yet, he would listen to anyone who wanted to inquire about someone. But, he would not ask himself for someone to make it seem like he wanted to trade these guys. I like this approach because we could potentially get more in return with the other GM feeling like the Reds don't have to get rid of a player. DanO was looking for that desperate team to come in and say they absolutely need a player from us and would give us an offer that we could not refuse.

This all came back up when the ChiSox wanted Griffey. DanO is likely approaching this in the same manner. He would rather keep telling the White Sox no and wait for them to say they absolutely need him for a better WS opportunity. Thats when they would have more desperate thinking. I guess patience is a virtue.

MLB ERA
    If Griffey is not traded to the White Sox, I believe that the blame will be with Carl Lindner. He is the one who originally called off the deal, he wants to sell the team, and since he's unsure if the potential buyer will buy the franchise without Griffey, he doesn't want him traded. I'd really like the addition of a lefty power bat, but I think the White Sox may have added a bat that could help in the stretch run and the playoffs through their farm system. Brian Anderson has looked great thus far, and broke out against a very tough pitcher. I think he fits in perfectly with what the team likes to do.

The two problems are that the Sox can't use Griffey without benching a semi-effective bat (Dye, Rowand, or Everett) since they won't/can't bench Pods. Also, Griffey is likely the 2nd best CF in the game this year, and the Reds would want a lot for him talent wise. I don't see it happening, and I think some teams could use a Griffey type a little more, not that I can think of anyone right now like the Yankees (although Lawton is a capable OF).
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishercat
    The two problems are that the Sox can't use Griffey without benching a semi-effective bat (Dye, Rowand, or Everett) since they won't/can't bench Pods. Also, Griffey is likely the 2nd best CF in the game this year, and the Reds would want a lot for him talent wise. I don't see it happening, and I think some teams could use a Griffey type a little more, not that I can think of anyone right now like the Yankees (although Lawton is a capable OF).

IF the Sox were able to convince the Reds (Lindner) to part ways with Griffey, here's what would happen:

-Griffey would get a majority of the time at DH and occasionally play CF, while Everett would become a bench bat/sub OFer/DH on Griffey's day off.

-The White Sox would get $13.5 million to cover some of Griffey's contract

-The Reds would get Chris Young (.270 BA/.369 OBP/.547 SLG with 25 HR (SL leader) 73 RBI 87 R 27 SB at pitcher friendly Birmingham), Casey Rogowski (.287 BA/.367 OBP/.431 SLG with 8 HR 70 RBI 73 R 20 SB also at pitcher friendly Birmingham) and another lower level prospect (any guess would be as good as mine)

As for Griffey being the 2nd best CF in MLB, offensively he might even be the best CFer in MLB, but defensively when compared to Aaron Rowand or Brian Anderson, he's a liability. That is why he would be the everyday DH. He's a great hitter, and his power and hitting ability would have a great impact on the White Sox offense, and that's why every White Sox fan wants him here AS A DH.

MLB ERA
    You're not going to get Griffey because the Reds GM is a moron. He doesn't want to make a trade with anyone because he is afraid of the other team getting the best of him...I don't know how they expect to get any pitching without giving up something in return. I guess they think they'll sign more free agent pitches like Eric Milton.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by Providence A's
    You're not going to get Griffey because the Reds GM is a moron. He doesn't want to make a trade with anyone because he is afraid of the other team getting the best of him...I don't know how they expect to get any pitching without giving up something in return. I guess they think they'll sign more free agent pitches like Eric Milton.
    As much as he may or may not deserve blame for unwillingness to make trades, this one is not Dan O'Brien's fault. According to some sources, he actually agreed to the trade I mentioned earlier, and so did everyone that had to agree to it, except Carl Lindner. Dan O'Brien, Ken Williams, and Ken Griffey Jr. all had agreed to this trade according to these sources, but Lindner refused to do it because he felt it may discourage his potential buyer of the team. Where there's smoke, there has to be fire IMO, so if this never happened, as O'Brien claimed, then why would the media continuously report the same thing? If they got it wrong, they would likely just ignore it and move on, but they keep talking about it.

So, do I think the Sox will get Griffey? No, but I think that the blame for that lies in the pocketbook of Carl Lindner rather than the past incompetence of Reds GMs.

MLB ERA
    That may be the case in this specific trade rumor, but my statement holds true for all the other trade rumors before when teams tried to get other people from the Reds.

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dam8610
    As much as he may or may not deserve blame for unwillingness to make trades, this one is not Dan O'Brien's fault. According to some sources, he actually agreed to the trade I mentioned earlier, and so did everyone that had to agree to it, except Carl Lindner. Dan O'Brien, Ken Williams, and Ken Griffey Jr. all had agreed to this trade according to these sources, but Lindner refused to do it because he felt it may discourage his potential buyer of the team. Where there's smoke, there has to be fire IMO, so if this never happened, as O'Brien claimed, then why would the media continuously report the same thing? If they got it wrong, they would likely just ignore it and move on, but they keep talking about it.

So, do I think the Sox will get Griffey? No, but I think that the blame for that lies in the pocketbook of Carl Lindner rather than the past incompetence of Reds GMs.
    Tell that to CincyRedsFan30, who thinks those sources are false.

Quote Originally Posted by CincyRedsFan30
    Griffey isn't going anywhere. The real sources continue to say it and I believe them.

MLB ERA
    Well, he can think what he wants, but I think that where there is smoke (continuous media coverage), there must be fire (the trade that was agreed upon by all parties but Lindner). Why else would they continue to perpetuate this rumor? If they were wrong, they would've ignored it, but the coverage continues, so unless someone can prove to me that the reports aren't true, I believe them.

Quote Originally Posted by Dam8610
    As much as he may or may not deserve blame for unwillingness to make trades, this one is not Dan O'Brien's fault. According to some sources, he actually agreed to the trade I mentioned earlier, and so did everyone that had to agree to it, except Carl Lindner. Dan O'Brien, Ken Williams, and Ken Griffey Jr. all had agreed to this trade according to these sources
    I hearded it a little different then that. I heard the DanO and Williams agreed on the trade and Linder didnt give DanO approval, the the proposal never made it to Griffey.