Thread: White Sox still pursuing Griffey

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

White Sox White Sox still pursuing Griffey

The Sox are still rumored to be exploring trade possibilities for Cincinnati outfielder Ken Griffey Jr., but Guillen said Wednesday he is no longer concerned with trade talk.

"I'm only concerned with the 25 guys we have here," Guillen said. "That's for (general manager) Kenny (Williams) to worry about now."

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southt...pro/111sd3.htm

Junior praise
    August 11
    Chicago Tribune (scroll down) (registration required): "Cincinnati center fielder Ken Griffey Jr., whom the Sox tried to acquire before the trading deadline, spoke fondly of Chicago during his visit this week to Wrigley Field."

http://www.prosportsdaily.com/mlb/white-sox/rumors.html

EARS WIDE OPEN

Cincinnati Reds center fielder Ken Griffey Jr. talked to his family last weekend and says he may be open to accepting a trade to the Chicago White Sox, if he clears waivers.

The White Sox and Reds completed a deal before the non-waiver deadline that would have sent outfielder Chris Young, first baseman Casey Rogowski and prospects to Cincinnati for Griffey. The trade included the Reds picking up at least $15 million of Griffey's remaining $41.5 million through 2008. But after the deal was completed and approved by White Sox owner Jerry Reinsdorf and Reds president John Allen, Reds owner Carl Lindner nixed the deal the following day.

Six high-ranking White Sox and Reds officials, including those close to Reinsdorf and Allen, confirmed the deal. The teams plan to revisit the deal if Lindner changes his mind.

"Junior is open to the possibility," said Brian Goldberg, Griffey's agent. "Originally, it caught us by surprise because we didn't know anything about it until we read it. We originally gave the Reds three teams that we would accept a deal (believed to be the Yankees, Braves and Astros), but that's not to say we wouldn't listen to the White Sox.

"Junior's first reaction is that the town is fine, the organization is fine, the people that run the organization are fine, but the only issue is that he'll be spending six weeks in Tucson (the White Sox's spring-training site in Arizona). But that doesn't preclude us from listening. And he will listen."

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/bbw/c...e-report_x.htm

MLB ERA
    I still want to see him in a Sox uniform. I think he'd make the whole team better, not only by his own production, but also by getting other hitters in the lineup better pitches to hit. Young and Rogo is a pretty steep price IMO, but to get his bat in the lineup would be huge.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Man, a lot of us are concerned that these guys are not enough for Griffey. Are they seriously good prospects with good upside? What has your organization said about these guys over the last few years? Are they at least talked about from time to time?

AA ERA
    I think he would clear waivers. I doubt anyone wants him that bad. Rest of y'all think he would clear?
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Rumor has it that Griffey has already cleared. They say that the Yankees would likely be the only team to try and claim him, but they have stated that they would not make a move. So, we never know for sure, but the media has speculated that he has already cleared waivers. Now it is just up to Dan O'Brien to bring this deal to Griffey and his agent, because Griffey can vito any deal he chooses. But he seems to have some interest in the ChiSox because there is a possible WS in line.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Griffey supposedly cleared waivers according to ESPN Radio. But Dan O (Reds GM) insists that he nor any of the outfielders are being traded. I wonder if he is just playing hard to get with the White Sox (why I don't know) or if he's hoping Casey is building value and he can trade him.

But anyway a Reds fan here mentioned that Young was on the 40 man so wouldn't he have to clear as well to be dealt? IF so, I don't see this being that likely.

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Man, a lot of us are concerned that these guys are not enough for Griffey. Are they seriously good prospects with good upside? What has your organization said about these guys over the last few years? Are they at least talked about from time to time?
    Chris Young has just come on this year, but he's come on in a HUGE way. One of two 20/20 men in the SL (Delmon Young) with a good OBP, great SLG%, great iso power, and a decent average. He's also in a pitcher's park at Birmingham, so I would imagine his power numbers, and subsequently his average, would go up playing in a hitter's park. He is on everyone's top 100 prospect list now and I would bet he's on most if not all top 50 lists. Casey Rogowski is also a solid prospect at 1B. Personally, I'd be more willing to trade Ryan Sweeney and Rogowski for Griff, because of what Young is doing. Maybe I just don't know what I'm talking about, but losing Chris Young would be the downside of trading for Griff, especially if they'd take Sweeney or someone else instead.

Quote Originally Posted by missionhockey21
    But anyway a Reds fan here mentioned that Young was on the 40 man so wouldn't he have to clear as well to be dealt? IF so, I don't see this being that likely.
    Young isn't on the White Sox 40 man. Here's the proof if you don't believe me. The way this deal would have to be done if it was going to be Griffey and $ for Young, Rogo, and the lower tier prospect (haven't seen the 3rd guy's name yet), it would have to be changed to Young, the lower tier prospect, and a PTBNL, who would be Rogo after the season ended and he didn't have to clear waivers to be traded. Again, I'd prefer Sweeney to Young, but either way, I hope the deal gets done.

Minor Leaguer
    Rookie ERA
    The yet to be named lower tier prospect would almost have to be a pitcher. How about Ray Liotta, think he's in A ball?

MLB ERA
    I don't know anything about the deal other than what is posted above, other than the only thing that held this deal back from being done before July 31 was Carl Lindner, and he will be the only thing to hold it back again if it doesn't get done.