Thread: White Sox were after Burroughs?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

White Sox were after Burroughs?

By Dave van Dyck
    Tribune staff reporter

August 5, 2005, 11:11 PM CDT

The White Sox insisted again Friday that DH Carl Everett would not be sidelined long enough to go on the disabled list.

Everett said his right groin, strained during a rundown Thursday, was a "little better" than the day before.

"He just got hurt, and we're going to wait another 24 hours to see how far he is away from being in the lineup," manager Ozzie Guillen said. "I think it is real mild. He should be ready in a couple of days."

Guillen used usual first baseman Paul Konerko as the DH on Friday, with utility player Geoff Blum at first. If Everett is forced to the DL, the likely call-up would be Joe Borchard, who has 20 homers and 50 RBIs at Triple-A Charlotte.

Interestingly, Borchard's name keeps surfacing in trade rumors for San Diego third baseman Sean Burroughs, who would be used as insurance against Joe Crede's aching back. Both are former first-round draft picks now in the minors. The trade was discussed before the July 31 deadline but fizzled out.

The deal now would be very complicated, almost impossible, because both players would have to clear major-league waivers. With the Sox and Padres both in pennant races, either player clearing waivers for a known trade would be unlikely.

http://chicagosports.chicagotribune....ck=1&cset=true

I'm a Burroughs supporter, hope he figures out the quirks that are holding him back.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

AA ERA
    Borchard might work. I like seeing AAA guys who are hitting get shots.
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    I heard this rumor recently. Nothing to lose on both sides, and a whole lot to gain. They might as well trade talented players who never reached their potential and see if they can find a way to make the other team's failure a success for them.

Borchard was a pretty big prospect at one time, what happened to him?

Anyway, do they really need insurance for Joe Crede? There's no place for Borch admittedly, but for Burroughs?
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA
    Borchard hits very well for power, but his K/BB ratio is HORRID and he can't hit for average in AAA. As for Crede, he has disappointed for what he was thought to be as well (especially in the average department), but his defense has kept him as a vital part of the team. Burroughs would basically be taking another team's problem and fixing it, something the White Sox have seemed to do very well lately. If he were to come here and do well, he'd get some trade value, and possibly get (or help to get) something the Sox need. The insurance policy for Crede is still Josh Fields as far as I know (if he can ever figure out how to hit).

White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    I'm a Burroughs supporter, hope he figures out the quirks that are holding him back.

Sean Burroughs is the son of former major leaguer Jeff Burroughs right?

Jeff had some quirks and kinks he had to work out too before he became worthwhile. Guess it's in the DNA?

I really have no clue, so I'll smile and nod.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic