Thread: I'm happy to be a White Sox fan

White Sox I'm happy to be a White Sox fan

I am a Chicago native. Grew up on the southside in what used to be a pretty interesting ethnic area, which has since gone adrift. Family then moved on to the south suburbs.

My very first professional baseball experience was with my grandfather, who took me to see the White Sox. Explained the game, described the players and gave me a tour of Comiskey Park. He also taught me about the evils of the team from the north side, and why I should never be a Cub fan

The White Sox lost to the Red Sox that day, but that is not my strongest memory. I remember that first hot dog being the absolute best hot dog I had ever had ... I remember the popcorn, and the lady in front of us who smuggled me a chocolate bar ... I remember the usher, who seemed 7 feet tall, smiling and telling me to be ready with my glove because there are always foul balls and that I was in a prime seat to get one (probably not true, but got me excited beyond belief) ... and I remember the warm smile of my grandad as he explained as we left "well, can't win 'em all ... maybe next time we're here they can come back ...", though there would be no next time as my grandad was dead from a heart attack that fall.

Fast forward to the 70's, and Chuck Tanner, who managed a very average ball club almost to the AL West Title with only the bat of Dick Allen as a true offensive weapon, and the jitterbugging knuckleball of Wilbur Wood going 13-3 before the All Star break. Then Bill Veeck with his 'rent-a-player' approach to team building, giving us the "South Side Hitmen" ... Richie Zisk and Oscar Gamble blasting moon shot home runs ... players trying to make comebacks doing so as a member of the Sox with Eric Solderholm being the best reclamation project .... Ralph Garr running crazy patterns under each fly ball hit to left, making every catch an adventure.

Then the 80's, I was stationed in Germany and avidly following a White Sox team that actually looked to be the favorite to win the AL, only to lose in heartbreaking fashion to the Orioles in the playoffs.

The sadness of the strike year, when the White Sox WERE the cream of the AL, only to see the entire season be flushed by naked greed from both the owners and the players.

Now this. A White Sox team that has flaws yes, but has a spirit you can almost feel through the tv .... a confident aggression, instilled by their rough around the edges, but very baseball savvy, manager ... a White Sox team with the best record in baseball, and who does not give any indication of folding like a cheap suit as previous promising Sox teams have done in the heat of August.

Yes ... I am happy to be a Sox fan ... they are my team, warts and all, even though their ownership group is seemingly trying to rival that of the Bears for dumbest front office in Chicago.

And as I smile about my team's success, I laugh at the continued floundering of those on the northside ... because that is how my grandad would have wanted it.

Welcome to the boards, Boris. Nice to see you're not NFL-only.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by Generalissimo
    Welcome to the boards, Boris. Nice to see you're not NFL-only.
    I had lots of trouble trying to login over here ... didn't seem to matter how i did it, I couldn't post (even though it said I was logged in).

Anyway, Lynch helped fix whatever that bug was, so now I can come and brag on my White Sox.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Good to see more White Sox fans coming in! Glad to see you made it here finally bro! You and Dam can get along great. Both of you guys seem to have a lot of love for these Sox.

I see you love this season so far, did you expect this at all?

White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Good to see more White Sox fans coming in! Glad to see you made it here finally bro! You and Dam can get along great. Both of you guys seem to have a lot of love for these Sox.

I see you love this season so far, did you expect this at all?
    I knew their pitching would be soild. But I also knew how history plays into this.

The Sox had 2 pitchers with ERA's around 2, with losing records, on their staff before I left for Germany in the early 80's. So I could very well see them have 2 stud pitchers with losing records (not their fault) this year.

I am happy that has not been the case.

And I am thankful Ozzie Guillen has been like a breath of fresh air as a manager. I attribute the team success to his drive and well timed *****ing.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    I hear you, Guillen does seem to have what it takes to take this team where it wants to go. What do you think this team can accomplish this season? Are they World Series bound?

White Sox

I hear you, Guillen does seem to have what it takes to take this team where it wants to go. What do you think this team can accomplish this season? Are they World Series bound?

I think they are a fundamentally sound and well prepared team. The can be creative in getting scoring opportunities. The last chance they had to go to the big series, their pitching fell apart (vs Toronto, who then went on to beat Philly).

If their pitching holds as they are, I see no reason why I should not be witnessing the Chicago White Sox in the World Series. Which means I will have witnessed 3 Chicago teams in a World Championship in my lifetime.

There are many diehard Chicago fans who went to their graves not being able to say that.

Boris, I got that same login problem a lot. I just dont access from the front page.
    "Players can't get better over time." -GiantsFanatic

RIP Cyan 2000 - 2017 Providence A's's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    welcome aboard...

MLB ERA

White Sox

Welcome aboard Boris, good to see another Sox fan.

did you expect this at all?
    To be honest, I didn't see this coming at all. I knew the Sox had 2 aces at the top of the staff going into the season (Buehrle, Garcia), but who would expect their team's 5th starter to emerge as a Cy Young candidate? As for the offense, I thought this would be what would do the team in, because of the losses of El Caballo and Mags. Then, in steps Tadahito Iguchi, the best situational hitter in the league IMO, A.J. Pierzynski, who is the team's MVP IMO, Jermaine Dye, who is putting up numbers similar to Mags, and Scott Podsednik, the prototypical leadoff hitter who's leading the universe in stolen bases.

What do you think this team can accomplish this season? Are they World Series bound?
    A lot can be accomplished by the White Sox this season, but it all depends on how they do in the playoffs. Once they start, whether the Sox win 90 to get in or 110, it doesn't matter. What matters then is beating the teams they play. I think the Sox match up well with every team that's a playoff contender though, so as long as they can somehow rid themselves of the unbelievable ability they've developed to hand Oakland wins over the past 4 years, they could end up representing the AL. I'm not making any predictions yet though.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Good thoughts fellas! Personally I think this team has what it takes to go deep. The pitching has been phenomenal and even without the Big Hurt, they have been hitting. Scotty Po has been a pleasant addition to the roster as you said. I think they are going to at least make the ALCS, there is my prediction.

MLB ERA
    Podsednik and Pierzynski have been the most important players on this team. Pierzynski is the team's MVP, because not only can he handle himself at the plate, but he is the main reason that the Sox pitching staff has improved IMO. If there is a close second, it's Podsednik, who is the prototypical leadoff hitter, something I think is needed to be able to manufacture runs. If nothing else, a solid leadoff hitter creates a smaller average run differential per game, meaning he makes the offense far more consistent. The starting staff is just out of this world, leading the AL in almost every major pitching category, and being 2nd in the categories they don't lead for the most part. Then there's the lights out pen that has 4 solid arms if you don't count Bobby Jenks. Personally, I think the team has potential to go a long way, but if you want a prediction, I'll say that the Sox will get a 100 win season. After that, I'd have to see them win their 1st playoff game either 12 or 22 years (I can't remember if the Sox won a game in the ALCS in 93 or not) before I'd say they're going anywhere else.

AA ERA
    That's a good approach. When you haven't done much in years, you don't want to think too far ahead too early.

You think this is a one year thing or are the Sox hered to stay?
    I aim to try
    "Nothing is what rocks dream of."-Aristotle

MLB ERA
    Quote Originally Posted by awefullspellare
    That's a good approach. When you haven't done much in years, you don't want to think too far ahead too early.

You think this is a one year thing or are the Sox hered to stay?
    Well, here's the foundation (I think) the Sox are building on:
    Mark Buehrle
    Freddy Garcia
    Jon Garland
    Brandon McCarthy (soon)
    Bobby Jenks
    Neal Cotts
    Damaso Marte
    Scott Podsednik
    A.J. Pierzynski
    Aaron Rowand

That's a pretty solid foundation as long as they can continue to perform they way they've proven they're capable of. Of course, that's not to say that players like Jose Contreras, Dustin Hermanson, Cliff Politte, Tadahito Iguchi, Jermaine Dye, Paul Konerko, Joe Crede, and a few prospects (Brian Anderson, Chris Young, and Casey Rogowski come to mind) won't be very important contributors this year and in years to come, but the 10 players I named (along with 1 very fiery, high energy manager) will be the most important factors in keeping the Sox competitive beyond this year, and yes, I do think they will continue to be competitive.