Thread: Sox would Love to get Wagner!

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

Sox would Love to get Wagner!

Do Sox have time to get Wagner?

By Barry Rozner
    Daily Herald Sports Columnist
    Posted Thursday, July 21, 2005

The advent of the wild card has rewarded mediocrity and been fabulous for fans of the also-rans. You can’t argue with that.

It has also made the July 31 trade deadline a nightmare for the general managers of contending teams, because a dozen clubs that otherwise would be sellers aren’t ready to cash out when they still see the postseason as a possibility.

That’s why MLB ought to move the trade deadline two weeks — or maybe even more.

Let’s take the Phillies, for example. They believe they’re in it right now but ought to know one way or the other in four weeks, too late for them to get Billy Wagner to the South Side of Chicago without having to clear him through waivers.

Maybe you think the White Sox have enough in the bullpen already, and you might be right, but you bring in a player like Wagner and he virtually guarantees you a trip to the World Series.

Call us crazy, but you throw Wagner in the ninth and back up — in whatever order — Dustin Hermanson, Damaso Marte, Cliff Politte and Neal Cotts into the eighth, seventh and sixth, and you’ve turned every contest into a five-inning game of pure intimidation.

Assuming Mark Buehrle, Freddy Garcia and Jon Garland stay healthy, you’ve pretty much told the Yankees, Red Sox and Angels that they better get a couple on the board by the time their cleanup hitter bats the second time or they’re toast.

You need only look at the 1990 Cincinnati Reds to understand that when an opposing offense feels that kind of pressure in a playoff game, it makes even the best players squeeze the dust out of their bats.

Just one opinion, but we believe a monster closer might be all that’s standing between the Sox and a championship.

Now if only they can find a team willing to give him up in the next 11 days.

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/rozner.asp?id=75708

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Man Rozner went all out in this article! I think he is right though. Just imagine this already potent pitching staff adding Billy Wagner! They would be scary. A guaranteed trip to the World series? Thats never a sure thing, but it would certainly help matters a whole lot.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Of all the places that Wagner has been rumors of Wagner being desired, the White Sox make the most sense. They have some talent they can let go, they need him not to be a setup man like they suggest in St.Louis but their closer and they are able to take on his contract this season since they feel so confident in what they will be able to do with a true closer coming in for the 9th.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Yep he definitely needs to stick with the closer's role. Of course I would much rather Wagner go to the White Sox then going to the Cards. I just couldn't imagine how dominating the Sox would be with another weapon of this stature.

Guess Who's Back missionhockey21's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    Well as a Reds fan, it would probably be best if he did go to the Cards. I imagine the Phillies will demand a nice prospect and since they have Izzy and Wagner is a closer, more in likely they would have to part with a good prospect for a rent a player.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    Oh good point. There I go not thinking again. the Cards already have the division, so I wish them the best. And with them losing a spect, Wagner would fit nicely for everyone. Except the White Sox of course, they really want this guy it seems. Should be interesting to see if he moves and where that would be.

It wouldn't hurt to get Wagner, certainly. And Buehrle-Garland-Garcia would be an extremely dangerous 1-2-3-5 or 1-2-3-5-6-7 in the playoffs. If Wagner shortened the game by an inning a game, certainly another factor. Depends what they have to give.

I'd love to see him go to the Cards. Keeps him out of the league and ensures the Sox don't give Arroyo to the Phillies.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.

MLB ERA

White Sox

Quote Originally Posted by redsrbetter
    Man Rozner went all out in this article! I think he is right though. Just imagine this already potent pitching staff adding Billy Wagner! They would be scary. A guaranteed trip to the World series? Thats never a sure thing, but it would certainly help matters a whole lot.
    I've never heard of a 5 inning game before, but that's basically how much the Sox would be able to shorten things up (if neccessary) were they able to get him and did not go after A.J. Burnett. Add to that that the Sox starters are usually able to go 6 or 7 strong, and that is a downright scary staff to face in October.

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA
    You are exactly right. It would be a 5 inning game for the most part. I am hearing that Wagner is not going togo anywhere though. I think it is time to focus on Burnett again!