Thread: Off to a bad start, Ventura

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

White Sox Off to a bad start, Ventura

White Sox manager Robin Ventura wants to bat A.J. Pierzynski second this season.
    Pierzynski would slot behind leadoff hitter Alejandro De Aza. As NBC's Matthew Pouliot points out, this isn't a great idea. While Pierzynski isn't a bad hitter, he is a plodding double-play machine, inciting more inning-killers than just about anyone in baseball. Ventura's vision for the batting order leaves a lot to be desired: De Aza and Pierzynski will be followed by Alex Rios, Paul Konerko and Adam Dunn.
    Why would any manager want a guy with a career .324 OBP hitting in front of the heart of your order? Pierzynski has walked 62 times....over the past three seasons. That is terrible and definitely something you don't want near the top of the order. I realize there aren't a lot of options for the White Sox but just about anything is better than AJ in the two hole. Lack of OBP and speed in the two hole is going to hurt the White Sox early on. Hopefully Ventura has an open mind and realizes mistakes.

MLB ERA

Re: Off to a bad start, Ventura

Quote Originally Posted by love_that_reefer View Post
    Why would any manager want a guy with a career .324 OBP hitting in front of the heart of your order? Pierzynski has walked 62 times....over the past three seasons. That is terrible and definitely something you don't want near the top of the order. I realize there aren't a lot of options for the White Sox but just about anything is better than AJ in the two hole. Lack of OBP and speed in the two hole is going to hurt the White Sox early on. Hopefully Ventura has an open mind and realizes mistakes.
    The philosophy might be stick him in front of the big bats and get him more hitable fastballs so he can be aggressive at the plate.
    HollywoodLeo: You and Kingdom always annoy me
    "Oh, don't mind me, I'm rebuilding now" then you win at least 80 games

RIP S3SL Minnesota Twins.

RIP HSL Anaheim Angels

Rebuilding the Dodger Blues
    Renewed Start back in the land of 10,000 lakes

De Facto Baseball God
    MLB ERA

Pierzynski being more aggressive is a scary thing. That's what leads to double plays and no walks in the first place.

MLB ERA
    Blog Entries

Scarier is that the middle of the order features a guy who barely hit over .200 and a guy who hit under .200. Can't get any worse right?

Did I just jinx Konerko? I hope not.

Magic Finger!!!
    AAA ERA
    Blog Entries

Haha! What else ya gonna do? Alexi Ramerez?