Thread: Possible interest in Billy Wagner?

Hall of Famer
    MLB ERA

White Sox Possible interest in Billy Wagner?

Trade winds blowing

While the Red Sox have interest in Florida Marlins pitcher A.J. Burnett, there were no Marlins scouts at Fenway Park this weekend, and while Bronson Arroyo's name has been mentioned as possible trade bait, it doesn't appear at this time as if the sides match up.

The Marlins are looking for both a starter and a reliever, and the Orioles, with Jorge Julio and Hayden Penn, and the White Sox (Brendan McCarthy) appear to be better matches. There are indications that the Marlins would also like to include slumping (and high-priced) third baseman Mike Lowell in the deal.
    By Chris Snow, Globe Staff | July 18, 2005

Curiously, while the White Sox had a scout in Philadelphia to watch Burnett's last start, the Orioles did not. Sox scout Bill Lajoie also was in attendance, but it was unclear whether he was there to see Burnett or Phillies closer Billy Wagner, though it is by no means assured that the Phillies will part with the lefthander.

The Sox are actively seeking both a starter and a reliever. They like Brewers setup man Mike Wise, but Milwaukee reportedly is willing only to trade Ricky Bottalico. Miguel Batista of the Blue Jays is available, but Toronto general manager J.P. Ricciardi is believed to have asked for top prospect Hanley Ramirez in return, the same player Tampa Bay GM Chuck LaMar wants for closer Danys Baez. Jason Schmidt of the Giants does not appear to be on the Sox' radar; Seattle's Eddie Guardado may be a possibility, but again price will be a factor.
    http://www.boston.com/sports/basebal...n_saga/?page=1

Furcals Designated Driver realmofotalk's Avatar
    MLB ERA
    Blog Entries
    I think this article is about the Red Sox, not the White Sox. Notice that www.boston.com is the source.

I can see how he'd be misled. The White Sox were mentioned and they said Sox.

I am pretty sure LaJoie is a BoSox scout.

I am a bit curious on why the White Sox wouldn't try for Wagner. Sure, they could use another bat (especially in the middle-infield or to compliment Rowand and Podsednik, although I'm sure missing something), but they have no real closer at this point (although Hermanson was doing well and Pollitte is a really nice surprise). Wagner may cost them too much to be worthwhile, but that third stud RP can make a difference in the playoffs if Freddy Garcia can only get you 6 innings.
    http://strike3forums.com/forums/phot...pelbon2006.jpg

Then out of fairness to the others you will be Slagathor.